If Hop wasen't our Coach in waiting | Syracusefan.com

If Hop wasen't our Coach in waiting

i would want Tony Bennett to be our next coach. Man his players are ready to play!

Absolutely, scary to think his teams will only get better too with their uptick in recruiting lately. That system with even better athletes? Yikes

Bennett is definitely one of the top young coaches in college ball right now... Thankful UVa has him... and is showing him love...

Bennett is definitely one of the top young coaches in college ball right now... Thankful UVa has him... and is showing him love...
From everything I've heard, he's a great person as well.

There are a lot of good coaches out there. When the time comes I don't think we'll be disappointed with the choice. We are a top 15 program and everything is in place for it to continue the excellence we already have. It would take even more than a Greg Robinson type awful to mess this up.

Bennett would leave for the NBA for before he would leave UVA for another college job. He can recruit at UVA just fine. If Hopkins isn't the next SU coach I would give Jay Wright a huge offer. He plays an enjoyable basketball style.
Hopkins though isn't going anywhere and will be the next HC of SU basketball.

There are a lot of good coaches out there. When the time comes I don't think we'll be disappointed with the choice. We are a top 15 program and everything is in place for it to continue the excellence we already have. It would take even more than a Greg Robinson type awful to mess this up.
Top 15 I sure hope so

The fundamentals a lot of his players demonstrate are impressive...footwork in the post, shot fakes, etc.

Amazing that those things stand out and are notable these days, but that's where we are at.

If not Hop, I'd prefer Wright. Agree with Jake that while Bennett is a great young coach, I think I would pluck my eyeballs out watching that style of play game after game.

It's great in small doses, but not for 30+ games a year.

Cheers,
Neil

i would want Tony Bennett to be our next coach. Man his players are ready to play!

Shaka Smart. Give him SU's resources and let him play his balls-to-the-wall style for 40 minutes a game in front of 33k.

Having said that, i am really excited to see what Hop can do. I suppose it is the "grass is greener syndrome," but i am way over Boeheim and think the program could use an injection of new blood/ideas.

You guys certainly struck oil with him...UVA needs to do everything they can to not lose him...

You guys certainly struck oil with him...UVA needs to do everything they can to not lose him...

His style plays well to the type of kid who would go to UVA - a bit more cerebral and willing to grind it out.

If not Hop, I'd prefer Wright. Agree with Jake that while Bennett is a great young coach, I think I would pluck my eyeballs out watching that style of play game after game.

It's great in small doses, but not for 30+ games a year.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't know. In a world all about just win baby, I think most would take the W's, high ranking and NCAA seeding. And, who's to say once he starts getting higher ranked recruits, UVA's offense doesn't become more productive as well?

His style plays well to the type of kid who would go to UVA - a bit more cerebral and willing to grind it out.
I think every UVA fan should be seriously worried about him leaving to go to Wisconsin. Other than that, he is staying for sure.

Do you think his players would be "ready" to play if they were mostly underclassmen because those who were ready left early for the NBA?

I don't know. In a world all about just win baby, I think most would take the W's, high ranking and NCAA seeding. And, who's to say once he starts getting higher ranked recruits, UVA's offense doesn't become more productive as well?

If we were Rutgers, this point would be valid. But we are Syracuse. We are already "winning". So yes, how we win takes on more importance.

Cheers,
Neil

If we were Rutgers, this point would be valid. But we are Syracuse. We are already "winning". So yes, how we win takes on more importance.

Cheers,
Neil

Maybe how we win takes on more importance during the season...maybe...but by season's end, when it all/really matters come late March/Early April, the only thing that matters is that we won, not the manner in which we won. Survive and advance...

If Hopkins wasn't the coach in waiting my wish list would be

Sean Miller, Jay Wright and Billy Donovan

Like I said it's a wish list (the only one of the 3 that would even consider coming to SU would be Jay Wright)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom