If Hop wasen't our Coach in waiting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Hop wasen't our Coach in waiting

He turned down Kentucky.

right and Tom OBrien took his name out of the running for the Alabama job.

Lets say he actually had an offer from Kentucky, as I recall he shot it down because he didn't want to deal with the Kentucky pressure. That was also 6 years ago, things change. Villanova is not a P5 school. He could make immensely more money at a P5 school. And a school like Syracuse doesn't carry the pressure of Kentucky.

I'd sell the farm for Shaka Smart.

I got to meet Shaka Smart at an event that my company sponsored here in Richmond. He spoke for about an hour and is a really great, thoughtful motivational guy. He is somewhat like Boeheim though, in that he has very deep ties to Richmond and is a very loyal guy.

While he would be a great coach for SU I'm not sure he would ever be pried away from VCU. And if he was pried away, it would probably be for a school like Duke. Doubt he would come up north...

I got to meet Shaka Smart at an event that my company sponsored here in Richmond. He spoke for about an hour and is a really great, thoughtful motivational guy. He is somewhat like Boeheim though, in that he has very deep ties to Richmond and is a very loyal guy.

While he would be a great coach for SU I'm not sure he would ever be pried away from VCU. And if he was pried away, it would probably be for a school like Duke. Doubt he would come up north...
Maybe so. I think we're a school like Duke though. Powerhouse eastern program, Melo center, Carrier Dome... there are reasons why a desirable coach would be interested.

Call me crazy, but I'm not as high on Wright as most. Good coach, not great. He hasn't been past the first weekend in 6 years.

The fundamentals a lot of his players demonstrate are impressive...footwork in the post, shot fakes, etc.

Amazing that those things stand out and are notable these days, but that's where we are at.
It is funny that fundamentals stand out now. They used to be pre-requisites for regular playing time.

Shaka I bet can be had. Havoc in front of 33K.

The one time I met Jay Wright was at the Sheraton. I was with people far more powerful than I -and Wright knew them all. In fact a couple of old timers were being honored and the Dome and Wright addressed them all and congratulated them, etc. Then he went back to his beer and wings and beat us the next day.

hard to follow a legend. ask Babe Dahlgren . hopkins is the likely candidate but i seriously wonder if he is up to the task. if i had to pick i would hope that we could somehow lure rick pitino back again to our bench to finish out his career.

I say Jim Calhoun. He seems antsy in retirement. I bet we could get him to sign on for a few years.

Maybe so. I think we're a school like Duke though. Powerhouse eastern program, Melo center, Carrier Dome... there are reasons why a desirable coach would be interested.

I guess we wont know how desirable the Syracuse job is until it's on the market, but I just think we have so much going for us. We're 5 hours away from great recruiting areas. We have a huge fan base that lives and dies by the team. I just think coaches would be camping outside of Manley for an interview.

I guess we wont know how desirable the Syracuse job is until it's on the market, but I just think we have so much going for us. We're 5 hours away from great recruiting areas. We have a huge fan base that lives and dies by the team. I just think coaches would be camping outside of Manley for an interview.
Great brand.

SYRACUSE is BIG time. foolish to think otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom