If Hop wasen't our Coach in waiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Hop wasen't our Coach in waiting

Maybe how we win takes on more importance during the season...maybe...but by season's end, when it all/really matters come late March/Early April, the only thing that matters is that we won, not the manner in which we won. Survive and advance...

If this is your take, then your championing Bennett (or his style of play) seems a little misplaced, doesn't it? What has he won and how consistently has this style of play won ships?

Cheers
Neil

If this is your take, then your championing Bennett (or his style of play) seems a little misplaced, doesn't it? What has he won and how consistently has this style of play won ships?

Cheers
Neil

I'm not championing Bennett, only the premise that winning is what matters in the end. If that means winning ugly, without panache or style, so be it. Give me substance over style everyday and twice on Sunday. :)

If Hopkins wasn't the coach in waiting my wish list would be

Sean Miller, Jay Wright and Billy Donovan

Like I said it's a wish list (the only one of the 3 that would even consider coming to SU would be Jay Wright)

You have that little obnoxious ***** Sean Miller on your list. Throw me a towel I just puked. You know he played at Pitt right ? Maybe we can hire JT3 and watch him sweat all over himself. Sound good?

Bennett's a good coach but this is his 9th year and he hasn't made it past the Sweet 16 yet. Gotta do something in the NCAAT multiple times to be in the conversation about being a great coach.

Bennett's a good coach but this is his 9th year and he hasn't made it past the Sweet 16 yet. Gotta do something in the NCAAT multiple times to be in the conversation about being a great coach.
Bennett has only been at UVa for the past 5 years, this being his 6th... He took over a program that was depleted and had been mishandled for over a decade. (Pete Gillen, Dave Leitao) His previous 6 years was spent coaching Washington State, {3 as assistant head coach under Dick Bennett, 3 as head coach} who prior to Bennett had only had 5 previous coaches lead WSU to 20 win seasons in their history. Not trying to be a homer of UVa nor am I trying to usurp the discussion, but I'd say he's done well with the talent he's had to work with thus far. WSU isn't a hotbed for certain. If after this year, next at latest, UVa isn't final four bound then maybe I'll wonder if he's capable of leading a squad past the Sweet 16... but for now, I'm all in...

He took a bunch of farmboys at Wazoo to the dance and they stayed a while. Wazoo is a cellar dweller that would put Rutgirls to shame. Their talent under Bennet was no different than it usually is, a bunch of hayseeds in overalls.

orangecuse said:
Maybe how we win takes on more importance during the season...maybe...but by season's end, when it all/really matters come late March/Early April, the only thing that matters is that we won, not the manner in which we won. Survive and advance...

And Virginia was a perfectly healthy 1 seed that lost in the Sweet 16.

Given their pace, it will be very difficult for them to come back against a good team. I they're a new Pitt.

Hoiberg, Smart, Beilein (he'd be going full circle) and Bruce Pearl.

Shaka Smart would be my first choice.

Style of play does matter to me. I loved watching our teams when they ran the floor and pressed.

I think Coach Bennett is a great young coach but I have had enough rock fight for now.

Hoiberg, Smart, Beilein (he'd be going full circle) and Bruce Pearl.
Pearl would have been a good choice - before the NCAA violations at UT. Love his style of play.

Either Bennett or Smart will be the next coach at Wisconsin when Bo Ryan hangs it up.

If Hopkins wasn't the coach in waiting my wish list would be

Sean Miller, Jay Wright and Billy Donovan

Like I said it's a wish list (the only one of the 3 that would even consider coming to SU would be Jay Wright)

If we go after a Miller, I'd rather go after Archie. Check out what he's doing with Dayton this year. It's ridiculous.

Id like to see Jay Wright or Billy Donovan here.

I doubt Donovan would leave Florida. I saw the Jay Wright men of march show, and Jay made it sound like nothing could take him away from Nova.

Syracuse will get Hopkins, or a a guy without success at a high D1 program, or a guy with success at a D1 program but no national championships. Anybody with both will be very happy in their current situation and probably compensated more than what SU pays Boeheim.

I doubt Donovan would leave Florida. I saw the Jay Wright men of march show, and Jay made it sound like nothing could take him away from Nova.

Who can say. Idk what drives them or their aspirations. Guys like challenges. Make no mistake Cuse is an elite job.

Who can say. Idk what drives them or their aspirations. Guys like challenges. Make no mistake Cuse is an elite job.

No doubt about it, but it seems like nova is Jay's dream job, just like Syracuse is Jb's dream job.

No doubt about it, but it seems like nova is Jay's dream job, just like Syracuse is Jb's dream job.

I don't think it is. I believe his wife is a Nova alumn. He went to Bucknell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom