If it is found James cheated... | Syracusefan.com

If it is found James cheated...

cto

Administrator
If it is found that he cheated, he should be treated like any other SU student found cheating. Nothing more, nothing less.

SU is an academic institution with a basketball team. It is not a basketball team with an academic institution attached.

Reading some of the posts here, one would think this is comparable to the suffering endured by millions of people in Darfur.

If it is found that he cheated, he should be treated like any other SU student found cheating. Nothing more, nothing less.
he should get the Biden treatment

Couldn't agree more as long as he's judge as a student and not as an athlete, which can sometimes be prejudicial.

I'm one of the people who have said I just don't care. Apathy has just set in with collegiate athletics. Team bribe, pay, trick players to come to their programs all over the place. The NCAA makes money of these kids, the Universities make money off these kids. Any top prospect has zero desire to get a degree. Schools all over the country cover this stuff up, we just can't because of the spotlight we have on us lately. I really just don't care anymore. If James comes back we have a realistic shot of winning a title and honestly, I could care less if he cheated or not...whateverrrr.

SU is an academic institution with a basketball team. It is not a basketball team with an academic institution attached.

Reading some of the posts here, one would think this is comparable to the suffering endured by millions of people in Darfur.
Look, when you know where we are playing the next game, we will listen to you. I could see you sitting in msg on Sunday at 3. Where is everyone?

I'm one of the people who have said I just don't care. Apathy has just set in with collegiate athletics. Team bribe, pay, trick players to come to their programs all over the place. The NCAA makes money of these kids, the Universities make money off these kids. Any top prospect has zero desire to get a degree. Schools all over the country cover this stuff up, we just can't because of the spotlight we have on us lately. I really just don't care anymore. If James comes back we have a realistic shot of winning a title and honestly, I could care less if he cheated or not...whateverrrr.

Bing. Bang. Boom. I wanna see syracuse in the final 4, I could give a flying fu*k if he cheated or not.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Bing. Bang. Boom. I wanna see syracuse in the final 4, I could give a flying fu*k if he cheated or not.

Did you attend SU? I'm just wondering?

Look, when you know where we are playing the next game, we will listen to you. I could see you sitting in msg on Sunday at 3. Where is everyone?
Dasher... as I said, it was a typing error while I was multi-tasking. Of course I know where we are playing on Sunday. If we were playing at MSG, I would have tix... and be worrying as to how I would get there.

Dasher... as I said, it was a typing error while I multi-tasking. Of course I know where we are playing on Sunday. If we were playing at MSG, I would have tix... and be worrying as to how I would get there.
Sure you did. The older we get CTO, things slip by us. Where our are glasses. Where is the next basketball game. Syracuse or NYC.

Your owl doesn't intimidate me at all. Not one bit.

[MCC cowers in corner, imagining a snowy owl with a 40 foot wingspan swooping down to carry him away...]

Reactions: cto

Yeah and where do you guys draw the line? If this is the way it should be, how far does that attitude carry into other areas of a person's life?
While I understand your motivation, you are wrong.

Agreed... BUT... He is not being treated like any student. The accusation is about a paper in a different academic year which simply wouldn't happen to a non-athlete. PLUS the WHOLE town knows he's accused of cheating.

Yeah and where do you guys draw the line? If this is the way it should be, how far does that attitude carry into other areas of a person's life?
While I understand your motivation, you are wrong.

I want us to win every game. But there are things more important than basketball. And SU the institution is more important than the basketball team. JS needs to be held to the same standards of any other student. If he cheated, he needs to face the consequences.

I want us to win every game. But there are things more important than basketball. And SU the institution is more important than the basketball team. JS needs to be held to the same standards of any other student. If he cheated, he needs to face the consequences.
I agree 100%. However, it seems Southland is being treated to a diferent standard than regular students in this case.

He should be treated like a normal student with the verdict of this case (don't make a biased decision bc he is an athlete), but at the same time he isn't a "normal" student if that makes sense. When you're career is basketball, practice and playing games is your "class" or training. Same as a music student's success depends on practice time, lessons, and playing with the band, not Anthropology. Keeping a kid away from the court in James case only hurts his potenial future. If the university cared about his future they'll let him play. Or course, it all depends on how serious the issue is. If its minor, then free him.

I don't think anyone really disagrees with that . . . the question is what should those consequences be? we don't know any of the facts, but if what is rumored to be the issue is anything like the truth, then it seems James is being held to a different standard than would be most students.

I am all for appropriate punishment, but I also know that this all came about because the NCAA came to town after the Fine case broke and turned over every rock, so I want to make sure James gets his due for what he did, not because a bunch of bureaucratic hacks are reacting to institutional failures in other, unrelated cases.

What is SU's standard protocol to deal with students who cheat? Expulsion? Awarding an F and the opportunity to take the class again? I'm curious because not every school handles it the same way.

What is SU's standard protocol to deal with students who cheat? Expulsion? Awarding an F and the opportunity to take the class again? I'm curious because not every school handles it the same way.
Moreso, if we "treat him like any other student", what does that mean? If another student got a 0 on the paper in question, but still passed the class (assuming this was their first strike and SU uses that system, as opposed to a "do it once and your expelled regardless"), they most likely move on to the next semester after earning a passing grade in that class. But if James gets a 0, is he kicked off the team for cheating? Even if he did what he was supposed to afterwords and passed the class? If that's the case he's held to higher standards than a normal student?

I want our players to do well in class, but that's not my business, that's up to SU and the players themselves. I care about winning basketball games; just like in baseball I don't really care what a player does in their personal life, if they want to cheat on their significant other, that's on them, as long as it doesn't effect their play it really doesn't bother me.

He should be elected Vice President?
if that is his destiny, sure ;)

what I mean is that Biden took a punishment short of expulsion, continued his career and graduated. As have many, many others accused of plagiarism over the years. If James gets a punishment more severe than is common, then that is a problem.