If Jalen Carey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Jalen Carey

jalen carey was not given enuf actual playing minutes down the stretch for anyone with an ounce of reason to even form an opinion of his performance. you wanna grade an occasional 2 minute cameo vs a 30 plus player ? averages 1 turnover per game last ten. and then gets yanked immediately ? i'm starting to smell a bit of bias . they may want someone else getting mega minutes. ok. but to read comments like "he turns the ball over every time he touches it " are just blatantly false and agenda driven. a much better handle than buddy no question there.
that's why they actually let him bring the ball up court.

If you're turning the ball over after a minute of playing time every game then I really don't want to see what you do in 40.

jalen carey was not given enuf actual playing minutes down the stretch for anyone with an ounce of reason to even form an opinion of his performance. you wanna grade an occasional 2 minute cameo vs a 30 plus player ? averages 1 turnover per game last ten. and then gets yanked immediately ? i'm starting to smell a bit of bias . they may want someone else getting mega minutes. ok. but to read comments like "he turns the ball over every time he touches it " are just blatantly false and agenda driven. a much better handle than buddy no question there.

well rest easy. some dudes don't get to play past their first mistake in this system.

He couldn't handle the ball against any pressure. At any time. Hopefully he will get better with time. That is possible. But let's not pretend that it was just a lack of minutes. They couldn't afford to put him on the court for extended periods.

one per game. look it up. but 046 don't get you benched big game.

Last edited:
I decided to look at some of Jalen's high school highlights Yes, I know it's high school but i felt that it might give me a better idea of what might be possible next yaar than the limited play we saw this year.

In this one I see a guard with a good handle, a quick first step, a nice change of pace and creative finisher:

I see a lot of jump shots in this one. He seems to have a higher arc on his shot than we saw this year:

2018 guard Jalen Carey Nike EYBL highlights

I didn't see a lot of passing but if Jalen can penetrate as well as we see in these films, the opportunities are there. i could see us running more this him at the point, too. I don't see Casen Edwards but I do see a potentially good player.

If you're turning the ball over after a minute of playing time every game then I really don't want to see what you do in 40.
I saw enough potential in Jalen Carey to be excited about his future. I think he is a lot more athletic than Scoop was and I hope SU fans can recall the strides Scoop made over his career. Be patient please. I think Carey can wind up changing a lot of opinions.

I saw enough potential in Jalen Carey to be excited about his future. I think he is a lot more athletic than Scoop was and I hope SU fans can recall the strides Scoop made over his career. Be patient please. I think Carey can wind up changing a lot of opinions.

Agree but you are acting like he can flip the switch and play the most important position on the court in the ACC for 30+ per game. It’s gonna be pretty drastic to go from where he is to there.

I think he can contribute 15 good minutes a night in a 6th man role and score and play good enough D to make up for the turnovers. And it’s not certain we have better options at this point.

Not necessarily. If your aunt self identifies as a women balls or not who are you to say otherwise. These are the type of conversations I’m forced to have in seattle
Is her name Pat?

Athleticism is overrated. Give me a skilled guard over an athlete next every time. See Cassius Winston.

Last edited:
Athleticism is overrated. Give me a skilled guard over an athlet next every time. See Cassius Winston.

Still it would be fun to see Carey and Goodine on the court together in some sets.

He couldn't handle the ball against any pressure. At any time. Hopefully he will get better with time. That is possible. But let's not pretend that it was just a lack of minutes. They couldn't afford to put him on the court for extended periods.
the carey stuff is getting crazy. 80% of us realize that he was historically bad but don't want to pile on too much but the 20% are still out there. i mean, you are a crazy person and here i am agreeing with you - this should tell the 20% something. (don't get mad, i'm joking with you) the best anyone can do for him is say ok he had a really rough time but maybe he'll get better in the off season

the carey stuff is getting crazy. 80% of us realize that he was historically bad but don't want to pile on too much but the 20% are still out there. i mean, you are a crazy person and here i am agreeing with you - this should tell the 20% something. (don't get mad, i'm joking with you) the best anyone can do for him is say ok he had a really rough time but maybe he'll get better in the off season

He didn't play enough to get comfortable , did you see the UConn game?

Why would I get mad? I am crazy

Agree but you are acting like he can flip the switch and play the most important position on the court in the ACC for 30+ per game. It’s gonna be pretty drastic to go from where he is to there.

I think he can contribute 15 good minutes a night in a 6th man role and score and play good enough D to make up for the turnovers. And it’s not certain we have better options at this point.
What SU really needs him to do (flip the switch) immediately may not happen in year two. My Scoop analogy is a pretty good one I think. Scoop was by no means a star in year but he did show improvement. Obviously for SU to be really good next year a few playes will have to make big strides. I hope Jalen Carey can do that for next year but I think year 3 is when we may se him become really productive. I am concerned that next year we may not be where we all want the team to be in terms of record, but I am optimistic about that the team can get to where we hope they will be.

He was averaging around 20 mpg until early January.
we were 8-3 in that stretch (thru jan/5) when jalen carey played 10 plus minutes. in 2 of those losses (uconn and the ducks) he scored a combined 40 points. scored just 4 points in his 10 min stint against buffalo in the other loss to go with 2 rebound 1 assist 1 steal and 1 turnover. stats.

we were 8-3 in that stretch (thru jan/5) when jalen carey played 10 plus minutes. in 2 of those losses (uconn and the ducks) he scored a combined 40 points. scored just 4 points in his 10 min stint against buffalo in the other loss to go with 2 rebound 1 assist 1 steal and 1 turnover. stats.

8-3 eh? Against who?

How many turnovers?

You’re really going to spin this as “he was playing well and coach stopped playing him so he could play his son”??

Actually that’s not even “spin”. That’s blatantly lying.

Not necessarily. If your aunt self identifies as a women balls or not who are you to say otherwise. These are the type of conversations I’m forced to have in seattle
Disappointing to hear this kind of casual bigotry on here. Try educating yourself better about these matters instead of being glib, if that’s what’s going on here.

no more spin than calling him a turnover machine who can't produce in his 2 minute curtain call.
1 per game. then pulled. give me buddy's stats the first 2 minutes of his court time. i gave you stats when he played 10 minutes plus. we won. and when we lost he clearly wasn't the cause.

no more spin than calling him a turnover machine who can't produce in his 2 minute curtain call.
1 per game. then pulled. give me buddy's stats the first 2 minutes of his court time. i gave you stats when he played 10 minutes plus. we won. and when we lost he clearly wasn't the cause.

And you ignored that he also turned the ball over a lot when he was playing more when we were winning against crappy teams early in season.

Turnovers per 40 minutes:
Jalen - 5.4
Buddy - 1.8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors