If Saban will do it, why wouldn't Babers | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If Saban will do it, why wouldn't Babers

Very true. Not sure why Saban os receiving the accolades. It was the obvious call that all of America knew was needed given JH's performance. Frankly, the question is why wasnt the luau lefty given a shot earlier? ED is a far superior qb than JH.
I'm guessing he receives accolades, because he took over a program that won 67 games in the 10 years before his hire, with all the same recruiting advantages that Alabama has now. They were not getting it done for the most part before Saban, averaging 6.7 wins per year for over 10 years. Since Saban all they've done is average 12 wins per year, and win 6 National titles in 11 years. So who should get the accolades? None of this was happening before him, and it happens frequently since his hire. Does he get the best talent? You betcha...cause he made it happen.
So due to him turning everything he touches into gold, why would people not commend him for making another decision that worked out well?

Last edited:
AMEN. Hurts isnt in the same league as ED. ED is obviously a way better thrower of the ball, can make sound decisions, and might even be as good a runner as JH. JH proponents will argue 25-2 or whatever his record is, but, geeez, given the talent on that offense and the game D, many mediocre qbs have won nattys at Bama.
You're right...he in the SEC and played vs. the #6 SOS while putting up better numbers than Dungey. Both his raw and total QBR are ranked much higher than Dungeys. His completion percentage is higher, his yards per pass is higher, he threw for more td's, and far less interceptions. How exactly is Hurts not at least at Dungeys level? If your answer is, "because Hurts is surrounded by better players at each position", then how does that prove Dungey is a far better QB? I suppose you could speculate, but c'mon...not in the same league? As mentioned before, he was the SEC offensive player of the year. That means that you think Dungey is "ACC Offensive Player of the Year" caliber. I'm sorry, but if your QB is a P5 confrence offensive player of the year caliber player, you don't go 4-8.

"Yeah, but he didn't go 4-8, he was injured"
Why would a players ability to stay healthy not be factored in as his overall effectiveness as a QB? If we lived in an imaginary world where you only count the games he starts and finishes, then it wouldn't matter. However, we live in reality, and the reality is, Dungey can only offer us his services for about 2/3 of a season.

Would you rather own a fully loaded Camry that will never break down, or a fully loaded Mercedes that only starts 2/3 of the time?

Last edited:
Convincing yourself on the basis of no data?

DeVito could easily end up being a very slow learner and even a huge bust.

Change for the sake of change is almost never a good idea. But fan belief in the back-up QB --- before he plays --- is a staple of college football fandom.
People seem to forget this. Haven't we learned our lesson on hyping up freshman QB's based on meaningless high school accolades, or how many stars they have, or where they are from, or how many big time offers they have?
Joe Fields-
He's from Texas, and "he looks like Donovan Mcnabb" Turns out he was a way better safety.

Perry Patterson-
He's a 4 star recruit!!! He's huge!!! He has a cannon!!! He sucks!!!

Zak Allen-
He's an elite 11 QB!!! He plays in Texas!!! He's loves Syracuse!!! He's our best recruiter!!! He signed at TCU. Never played QB.

AJ Long-
He's a 4 star on ESPN!!! He loves Syracuse so much he had the logo tattooed!!! He was awful, and sounds like he was a disease in the locker room.

Culpepper-
He's a high 3 star!!! He has offers from schools like Ohio State, and Clemson!!! He comes from NFL stock, and plays in Florida!!! Verdict is still out on this one, but I wouldn't feel great with him starting a game based on what I've seen so far.

Devitto-
He's a 4 star!!! He's an elite 11 QB!!! He played in Jersey at a very high level!!! Let's hope he breaks the trend.

Since McNabb, our 3 best QB's have been Dungey, Nassib, and RJ. Anderson. None of them were big time signings.

You're right...he in the SEC and played vs. the #6 SOS while putting up better numbers than Dungey. Both his raw and total QBR are ranked much higher than Dungeys. His completion percentage is higher, his yards per pass is higher, he threw for more td's, and far less interceptions. How exactly is Hurts not at least at Dungeys level? If your answer is, "because Hurts is surrounded by better players at each position", then how does that prove Dungey is a far better QB? I suppose you could speculate, but c'mon...not in the same league? As mentioned before, he was the SEC offensive player of the year. That means that you think Dungey is "ACC Offensive Player of the Year" caliber. I'm sorry, but if your QB is a P5 confrence offensive player of the year caliber player, you don't go 4-8.

"Yeah, but he didn't go 4-8, he was injured"
Why would a players ability to stay healthy not be factored in as his overall effectiveness as a QB? If we lived in an imaginary world where you only count the games he starts and finishes, then it wouldn't matter. However, we live in reality, and the reality is, Dungey can only offer us his services for about 2/3 of a season.

Would you rather own a fully loaded Camry that will never break down, or a fully loaded Mercedes that only starts 2/3 of the time?

If that loaded Mercedes had full bumper to bumper protection , i would always go with the style. Thus, imagine ED playing with that oline and skill guys? Fact is, saban likes protecting his camry at qb with German engineering and speed all around him. He gets away with it. Hurts isnt anythimg special and Bama has been winning with game managers at qb for years. That said , the Luau Lefty might be special.

If that loaded Mercedes had full bumper to bumper protection , i would always go with the style. Thus, imagine ED playing with that oline and skill guys? Fact is, saban likes protecting his camry at qb with German engineering and speed all around him. He gets away with it. Hurts isnt anythimg special and Bama has been winning with game managers at qb for years. That said , the Luau Lefty might be special.
How again is the reigning SEC offensive player of the year not even in the same league as Dungey though? You can say "he would do this, or he would do that", but all the actual tangible evidence we have would suggest Hurts is a better QB. Better completion percentage, more yards per pass, more td pases, and far, far, far, less interceptions.
I will give you this...Dungey is far more valuable to Syracuse, than Hurts is to Bama.

People seem to forget this. Haven't we learned our lesson on hyping up freshman QB's based on meaningless high school accolades, or how many stars they have, or where they are from, or how many big time offers they have?
Joe Fields-
He's from Texas, and "he looks like Donovan Mcnabb" Turns out he was a way better safety.

Perry Patterson-
He's a 4 star recruit!!! He's huge!!! He has a cannon!!! He sucks!!!

Zak Allen-
He's an elite 11 QB!!! He plays in Texas!!! He's loves Syracuse!!! He's our best recruiter!!! He signed at TCU. Never played QB.

AJ Long-
He's a 4 star on ESPN!!! He loves Syracuse so much he had the logo tattooed!!! He was awful, and sounds like he was a disease in the locker room.

Culpepper-
He's a high 3 star!!! He has offers from schools like Ohio State, and Clemson!!! He comes from NFL stock, and plays in Florida!!! Verdict is still out on this one, but I wouldn't feel great with him starting a game based on what I've seen so far.

Devitto-
He's a 4 star!!! He's an elite 11 QB!!! He played in Jersey at a very high level!!! Let's hope he breaks the trend.

Since McNabb, our 3 best QB's have been Dungey, Nassib, and RJ. Anderson. None of them were big time signings.

What a solid post. Thank you for sharing this insight.

For the most part true, but starting QB Jacob Eason was lost in game 1. When he became healthy enough to play around game 4 he couldn’t win the job back from Fromm. A couple defenders missed a few games here and there from injury, but nothing season ending. Very lucky season healthwise.

It helps if you have the depth to alternate people and don't have to play people who are hurt.

It helps if you have the depth to alternate people and don't have to play people who are hurt.

Absolutely. Smart did a great job of rotating guys through and keeping them fresh for the long haul. He used 5 RB’s in some games

I don't know how a comparison of Jalen Hurts to Eric Dungey became relevant. if Hurts transferred here, he'd have to sit out Dungey's senior year. Maybe it will matter on the next level.

I'm sure Dungey will be the starter and remain so as long a she is healthy. If he gets hurt or falters, then the DeVito Era will begin. It's as simple as that.

The premise of this thread is weird. Sagan pulled his QB in a game. If he did that in a random game in October there is every likelihood that he would've returned Hurts to the starting job the next week.

Is there any reason to think Babers won't play for the QB who gives him the best chance to win in 2018?

Is Devito being Boeheimed?

So weird.