If someone asked you what the biggest difference in Cuse now vs earlier this season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If someone asked you what the biggest difference in Cuse now vs earlier this season

The biggest difference? They were losing then and are winning now. Plain and simple.

For all the reasons others have already mentioned.

It’s collectively. It’s not just one thing.
  1. Scoring in the paint has been a huge change (Marek and Buddy in particular)
  2. Much better floor balance (taking advantage of strengths - shooters and ball movement)
  3. More purposeful screening AND movement off those screens including shooters sliding deeper along the wings
  4. ISO game with Hughes at top of key, floor spread and shooters on each wing
  5. Much more aggression on the boards at both ends
  6. Better understanding of zone; better effort in rotations; more active
  7. Buddy taking over games
  8. JB

To me, it’s simply teamwork, and JB putting them in the position to succeed.

JG3 and Quincy have become players. And the sets run fo Buddy are less Cooney-esque and more easy pops for shots.

I think Girard feeding Marek more in a space that he can create trouble for an opposing defense has added a certain unpredictability to our offense. I think a defense can gear up to stop one, or sometimes two guys. But we've finally got threats all over the floor. As others have said, it allows the ball to move easier, and it seems that different guys are stepping up every game. They really turned around what was looking like a totally lost season.

Time... it’s been clear from the beginning that this team has talent. But we didn’t know whether the talent would mature this year or not.

I still believe if a team decides to pressure Girard full court like ok state did, our offense is going to be really hurt. Pitt started the game with heavy pressure on Girard which worked to disrupt our offense. But Pitt wasn’t getting anything on offense so they subbed in that kid with the Irish last name and he played way off Girard and our offense took off.

But beyond that, Buddy finding other ways to score if teams run him off the three line, Marek’s new found aggressiveness, Guerrier learning to control his body and finish layups and the team’s willingness to look for Sidibe have all been huge. We’ve all complained about having to play 3 on 5 on offense, this year is showing how much fun offense can be when you can get scoring from all 5 players.

Probably our most balanced squad since the Wes team. The main difference is that team was uber-athletic at every position and we only have one good athlete.

Fun times tho... I hope we can knock off a big boy or two and make the dance

Time... it’s been clear from the beginning that this team has talent. But we didn’t know whether the talent would mature this year or not.

I still believe if a team decides to pressure Girard full court like ok state did, our offense is going to be really hurt. Pitt started the game with heavy pressure on Girard which worked to disrupt our offense. But Pitt wasn’t getting anything on offense so they subbed in that kid with the Irish last name and he played way off Girard and our offense took off.

But beyond that, Buddy finding other ways to score if teams run him off the three line, Marek’s new found aggressiveness, Guerrier learning to control his body and finish layups and the team’s willingness to look for Sidibe have all been huge. We’ve all complained about having to play 3 on 5 on offense, this year is showing how much fun offense can be when you can get scoring from all 5 players.

Probably our most balanced squad since the Wes team. The main difference is that team was uber-athletic at every position and we only have one good athlete.

Fun times tho... I hope we can knock off a big boy or two and make the dance

We have talent. But losing Carey, Braswell and Goodine to injury has cost us athleticism in our rotation.

We just have more options now. We've been able to move away from only jacking 3's to Marek being a force, Buddy being able to drive and convert, Hughes being Hughes, Sidibe improving, Joe continuing to be dangerous all over, Q on the boards and bringing tons of energy. We can score in multiple ways and we can actually rebound. Plus, free throw shooting is good.

The bigs getting enough done to allow us to weather some storms when the scoring droughts occur. And the schedule!!

1. Scoring in the paint has been a huge change (Marek and Buddy in particular)
  2. Much better floor balance (taking advantage of strengths - shooters and ball movement)
  3. More purposeful screening AND movement off those screens including shooters sliding deeper along the wings
  4. ISO game with Hughes at top of key, floor spread and shooters on each wing
  5. Much more aggression on the boards at both ends
  6. Better understanding of zone; better effort in rotations; more active
  7. Buddy taking over games
  8. JB
Yeah. I like Buddy backing into the post and taking that turnaround and Marek with the ball in the paint a whole lot. Feels like really good things happen every time when those players have the ball there. Worst case scenario is a missed shot.

Great question and all great answers. I think we all believe that we want the number one ranked team at the beginning of the year. And then to go undefeated and cut down the nets. But, for so many of us fans, the growth of the team is THE most enjoyable. These young men are finding their roles and improving and the pieces are starting to fit together. And guys have been here multiple years and they are meshing with the new guys. The struggle in the beginning was difficult to watch, but these guys have worked hard to become a formidable team. I can’t wait for the next game.

Great question and all great answers. I think we all believe that we want the number one ranked team at the beginning of the year. And then to go undefeated and cut down the nets. But, for so many of us fans, the growth of the team is THE most enjoyable. These young men are finding their roles and improving and the pieces are starting to fit together. And guys have been here multiple years and they are meshing with the new guys. The struggle in the beginning was difficult to watch, but these guys have worked hard to become a formidable team. I can’t wait for the next game.
Yes! Once again earlier in the year, I approached the games with dread. But now it’s with hope and excitement. I still get very nervous before games, which I hate. Now I get to watch the re-run of the Pitt game today with nary a qualm and with great interest to observe all the things the board has commented on. (Couldn’t go to the game because I was out of town.)

So, I don’t know much about Clemson other than they beat Duke. Can we take them? Maybe that is another thread.

Yes! Once again earlier in the year, I approached the games with dread. But now it’s with hope and excitement. I still get very nervous before games, which I hate. Now I get to watch the re-run of the Pitt game today with nary a qualm and with great interest to observe all the things the board has commented on. (Couldn’t go to the game because I was out of town.)

So, I don’t know much about Clemson other than they beat Duke. Can we take them? Maybe that is another thread.
Regarding Clemson -

Since ACC play started, Clemson has struggled on D, they allow their opponents to shoot 53% from 2P, which is 2nd to worst in the ACC, we shoot 50% from there which is 4th best. Clemson is a little better defending the 3, but still average. They don’t force turnovers or get many steals - so that’s good for us. However, they do a good job cleaning the glass so we probably won’t get a lot of offensive rebounds.

On offense, they don’t turn it over much either. They are also not a good offensive rebounding team which is good news for us. They do a good job of drawing fouls but are shooting 60% from the line in ACC play. They haven’t shot the 3 well this year in conference play (31%) despite shooting a lot of them, but are very efficient in the post.

They aren’t a very big team as their 4 and 5 is 6’6” and 6’8”. Mack and Sims.

Nothing about this game stands out as a “bad matchup” for us. If we can avoid foul trouble and we shoot better than them from 3, we will be in good shape.

They did beat Duke. But they just got crushed by Louisville and barely beat a bad Wake team in Clemson. They also lost to Yale and Miami at home.

Mack and Simms combined for 47pts, 16/22 from 2pt and 4/7 from 3 with 18rebs vs Duke. If we contain them we’ll be ok

Saw a comment somewhere on the socials from a Pitt fan along the lines of “how does a choir boy lookin dude come across so sinister?”
Which of our "aw, shucks" looking white boys was he talking about? Both have some swagger.

The biggest difference? They were losing then and are winning now. Plain and simple.

For all the reasons others have already mentioned.
The biggest difference boils down to a few points a game.
And that's the margin of victory.

One other point that may not have been mentioned: the play of the guys who come off the bench.
Washington & now Goodine in the backcourt.
Quincy up front.

They're playing solidly with great confidence.
That let's everyone else (except Elijah) get a little breather.
And if anyone fouls out the Orange have a capable replacement.

I got this. I've been watching Syracuse basketball for a very long time. I've come the conclusion, discovered really, that when the defense is playing well and the offense is scoring we generally win games. It comes down to scoring more points on offense than the defense is allowing to be scored on defense is how we win games!

From the professor's mouth:

“We are so much better right now because we play much better defense, we play better in the offense, but most importantly, all seven guys who played today all played together. That’s the key to our team’s success.”

This answer is obvious to me- we are scoring points from inside. Marek, Quincy, and Sidibe have been significantly better at scoring in the paint. Which means they are being aggressive grabbing boards or converting passes from driving guards (which is also very important). Which means we are not simply a "live by the 3, die by the 3" team.

Yes this team has had big issues on D all season but the fact we can score from the paint is an enormous development.

Confidence down the line in every player is much higher for themselves and their teammates.

Regarding Clemson -

Since ACC play started, Clemson has struggled on D, they allow their opponents to shoot 53% from 2P, which is 2nd to worst in the ACC, we shoot 50% from there which is 4th best. Clemson is a little better defending the 3, but still average. They don’t force turnovers or get many steals - so that’s good for us. However, they do a good job cleaning the glass so we probably won’t get a lot of offensive rebounds.

On offense, they don’t turn it over much either. They are also not a good offensive rebounding team which is good news for us. They do a good job of drawing fouls but are shooting 60% from the line in ACC play. They haven’t shot the 3 well this year in conference play (31%) despite shooting a lot of them, but are very efficient in the post.

They aren’t a very big team as their 4 and 5 is 6’6” and 6’8”. Mack and Sims.

Nothing about this game stands out as a “bad matchup” for us. If we can avoid foul trouble and we shoot better than them from 3, we will be in good shape.

They did beat Duke. But they just got crushed by Louisville and barely beat a bad Wake team in Clemson. They also lost to Yale and Miami at home.

Mack and Simms combined for 47pts, 16/22 from 2pt and 4/7 from 3 with 18rebs vs Duke. If we contain them we’ll be ok
Thank you! When our team isn’t play well, I tend to not watch or follow many other ACC teams. So I knew Clemson had beaten Duke, but didn’t know much else. Turns out, there may not be much to know, but we all know one thing. DO NOT OVERLOOK THEM. Amirite?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom