If these are the 2 best teams in he country | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If these are the 2 best teams in he country

I dont know if they are the 2 best teams. How does anyone know? On paper? Because everyone keeps saying they are? I really dont care if they are. Put osu...stanfird...boise..etc in a playoff and it would rival the ncaa hoops tourney. Thats all im saying. Then if they end up playing for the title outstanding. All of this old school traditionalistic bowl game tie in crap just drives me nuts.

SEC teams destroy everyone else when put in front of them. I know it's not exactly an exact formula but it's all we have to go by. Stanford would get embarrassed by either or and would be a shame if they end up getting the nod to play for the marbles. OK State might score a little, but no way in hell they could stand up to the front 7 of either team. They would get steamrolled as they game went on. I agree that a playoff would be great, but at this point it's just not the case. I really hope they get a rematch.

The difference between the SEC and the rest of the country is the D-Line. Huge guys...but with speed. You don't see that anywhere else in the country. Some of the schools in the SEC have 4 guys on the D-Line that will get a shot at the NFL. Figure, Georgia which is leading the "soft" SEC East goes 309, 351, 306 across the 3-4. The "backup" nose goes 350. AND, these guys can move. Compare that to SU's front four...Huge difference.

I dont know if they are the 2 best teams. How does anyone know? On paper? Because everyone keeps saying they are? I really dont care if they are. Put osu...stanfird...boise..etc in a playoff and it would rival the ncaa hoops tourney. Thats all im saying. Then if they end up playing for the title outstanding. All of this old school traditionalistic bowl game tie in crap just drives me nuts.
I don't need to see the Patriots and Dolphins play to know the Patriots are better.
I don't need to know the Yankees and Royals play to know the Yankees are better.
I don't need to see the Lakers and Nets play to know the Lakers are better.

Just like I don't need to see Boise play LSU to know LSU IS BETTER!

it's very simple to look at the level of competition a school plays and figure out who is better and who deserves to play for a national title. Stanford is very good. If Okie st though runs the table through a better conference they are a better team and has EARNED the right to play LSU for the national title. I don't need to see Stanford and Okie St play to tell me that. Okie St has a much harder schedule than Stanford and is better and has earned that right.

I don't need to see the Patriots and Dolphins play to know the Patriots are better.
I don't need to know the Yankees and Royals play to know the Yankees are better.
I don't need to see the Lakers and Nets play to know the Lakers are better.

Just like I don't need to see Boise play LSU to know LSU IS BETTER!

it's very simple to look at the level of competition a school plays and figure out who is better and who deserves to play for a national title. Stanford is very good. If Okie st though runs the table through a better conference they are a better team and has EARNED the right to play LSU for the national title. I don't need to see Stanford and Okie St play to tell me that. Okie St has a much harder schedule than Stanford and is better and has earned that right.
The Phillies were better than the Cardinals this year.
Kansas was better than VCU last year.
Syracuse was better than Butler in 2009.
The Patriots were better than the Giants in 2007.
The Colts were better than the Jets in 1969.

All I am saying is let them play and lets find out for sure.

What drives me crazy is that is 2 big 10 teams ranked 1 and 2 played to a 9-6 game people would be killing their conference. Yet because its the beloved SEC it was a classic game. Yawn.
Prove it on the field. If these teams blow out okie st...stanford...etc then i will be the first person to eat crow. Until that happens and these teams start playing each other in a playoff format its hard to take this sport seriously.

LSU took on one of the offensive juggernauts that you like so much in the first game of the season, and beat Oregon 40-27 on a neutral field. Also, if you look at the record from the last six BCS title games, you will see that the SEC teams, with their focus on defense, have had a very good record against the elite of the other leagues.

I agree with you that the BCS system is nonsense foisted on us to protect the bowl games, especially the Rose Bowl. Every other sport manages to have a playoff to determine the champion, but we are stuck with a system where only two teams are picked to determine the championship. And the use of the biased computers will prevent us from ever having any sort of Cinderella in this sport. That's too bad, because I think college football is one of the best sports around. College basketball used to be right up there for me, but the trend toward having so many one-year players who are just waiting to try to cash an NBA paycheck has diminished that sport in my eyes.

What drives me crazy is that is 2 big 10 teams ranked 1 and 2 played to a 9-6 game people would be killing their conference. Yet because its the beloved SEC it was a classic game. Yawn.
Prove it on the field. If these teams blow out okie st...stanford...etc then i will be the first person to eat crow. Until that happens and these teams start playing each other in a playoff format its hard to take this sport seriously.

Normally I agree with you. I wish we'd just get a playoff format. However, the SEC (and let me just say I hate the SEC) has proven it on the field in the last 5 BCS championship games against various conferences. Therefore, they've built credibility, and, with that, have earned the benefit of the doubt. I will root against whichever SEC team ends up in the BCS championship this year, and I DO NOT want a rematch. Objectively I'm forced to admit that I think those were the best two teams in the country.

Normally I agree with you. I wish we'd just get a playoff format. However, the SEC (and let me just say I hate the SEC) has proven it on the field in the last 5 BCS championship games against various conferences. Therefore, they've built credibility, and, with that, have earned the benefit of the doubt. I will root against whichever SEC team ends up in the BCS championship this year, and I DO NOT want a rematch. Objectively I'm forced to admit that I think those were the best two teams in the country.

The sad part for Alabama is they lost the game more than LSU won it. Not so sure they'll get the rematch, but if the BCS really wants to pit the 2 best teams in the country against each other then hopefully they ignore the "it's not fair" arguments and makes it happen.

The sad part for Alabama is they lost the game more than LSU won it. Not so sure they'll get the rematch, but if the BCS really wants to pit the 2 best teams in the country against each other then hopefully they ignore the "it's not fair" arguments and makes it happen.

True, but kicking is part of the game and Alabama losing because of it shouldn't be any different than if the secondary had given up a touchdown. Since we don't have a playoff, I view conference play as a sort of early round of a tournament. If you don't win your conference, you can't play for the national championship. I know a lot of people will agree with you, and your/their argument is a strong one.

LSU took on one of the offensive juggernauts that you like so much in the first game of the season, and beat Oregon 40-27 on a neutral field. Also, if you look at the record from the last six BCS title games, you will see that the SEC teams, with their focus on defense, have had a very good record against the elite of the other leagues.

I agree with you that the BCS system is nonsense foisted on us to protect the bowl games, especially the Rose Bowl. Every other sport manages to have a playoff to determine the champion, but we are stuck with a system where only two teams are picked to determine the championship. And the use of the biased computers will prevent us from ever having any sort of Cinderella in this sport. That's too bad, because I think college football is one of the best sports around. College basketball used to be right up there for me, but the trend toward having so many one-year players who are just waiting to try to cash an NBA paycheck has diminished that sport in my eyes.
Well said. I agree that college football could be so much better and I hope that it trends towards that way in the future. Funny because how you feel about college hoops is how I feel about the NBA. Temptation of going pro has made me less of an NBA fan because it hurts the college game so much.

Well said. I agree that college football could be so much better and I hope that it trends towards that way in the future. Funny because how you feel about college hoops is how I feel about the NBA. Temptation of going pro has made me less of an NBA fan because it hurts the college game so much.

I know we're getting on a tangent, but I think it's really hurt the NBA game too. They've gotten all of these supreme athletes that don't really know how to play the game. You even see it with a guy like Lebron. He may be the most physically gifted player ever but sometimes looks lost without the ball in his hands. He's always made more money than his coach, so why should he listen to him. Had he played for three years under a coach K (you plug in a number of coaches here) he'd know how to better take advantage of that ludicrous athletic ability within a team concept. I think the 1 year rule has helped keep some of the misguided guys in school once they've realized they're not as good as they thought they were, and making a 2 or 3 year rule would help the NBA even more by allowing these guys to enter the league even further along in their development.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom