If this is why the south produces better football players... | Syracusefan.com

If this is why the south produces better football players...

good god. scary.

(though I imagine those kids don't whine about working late or their boss' attention to detail later in life...assuming the concussion symptoms go away).

thought this was gonna be a NSFW DeeDee McCarron post.

The problems of youth football are bad leadership (coaches) and bad parental behavior. Manage those two things and its an outstanding experience for the kids involved.

I ran the administrative side of a large youth program in Bethesda, MD for three years. The AD selected and managed the coaches. We took care of everything else including delivering refunds and walking papers to parents who would not behave themselves on the sidelines. One or two of these a year made it absolutely clear that we wouldn't tolerate parents berating refs, our players or opposing players or coaches. In addition, parents were forbidden from discussing playing time with coaches.

We had about 120 players and 5 weight and age classes ranging from a team of 8-9-10 yr olds with a max weight of 10 yr olds of 75 lbs to 11-12-13 yr olds with a max weight of 120 for the 13 yr olds. In three years we had two injuries. A broken finger and a dislocated hip that was diagnosed as due to a congenital weakness by the staff at Suburban Hospital. That's in 250 days of practice and 120 games in the three years I was active. I was around he program another three years, but as just a parent.

We did have other injuries --- all of which occurred as a result of pre-practice and home back yard rough-housing without pads of supervision. It's what little boys do.

Based on my experience, the dangers of youth football are being wildly exaggerated by a sensationalist press and over-wrought soccer parents who are afraid of everything from candy bars to hypothermia and who never saw a safety-related product they didn't like.

The problems of youth football are bad leadership (coaches) and bad parental behavior. Manage those two things and its an outstanding experience for the kids involved.

I ran the administrative side of a large youth program in Bethesda, MD for three years. The AD selected and managed the coaches. We took care of everything else including delivering refunds and walking papers to parents who would not behave themselves on the sidelines. One or two of these a year made it absolutely clear that we wouldn't tolerate parents berating refs, our players or opposing players or coaches. In addition, parents were forbidden from discussing playing time with coaches.

We had about 120 players and 5 weight and age classes ranging from a team of 8-9-10 yr olds with a max weight of 10 yr olds of 75 lbs to 11-12-13 yr olds with a max weight of 120 for the 13 yr olds. In three years we had two injuries. A broken finger and a dislocated hip that was diagnosed as due to a congenital weakness by the staff at Suburban Hospital. That's in 250 days of practice and 120 games in the three years I was active. I was around he program another three years, but as just a parent.

We did have other injuries --- all of which occurred as a result of pre-practice and home back yard rough-housing without pads of supervision. It's what little boys do.

Based on my experience, the dangers of youth football are being wildly exaggerated by a sensationalist press and over-wrought soccer parents who are afraid of everything from candy bars to hypothermia and who never saw a safety-related product they didn't like.

HERE WE GO!!

Good for you!

That's not AT ALL what I was talking about, but GOOD FOR YOU!

Welcome to Texas!

I recognize one the teams...they feed into Judson High School. Judson High School Stadium

1149.jpg

Last edited:
glad these coaches are teaching proper tackling technique, head down, hit with the crown, don't use your arms.

I've hashed out my experiences as a 15-year member of a youth football league here in Katy, TX in previous posts. It is one of the largest football leagues in the state of Texas. I have been everything from a sideline parent to the President of the league. It can be one of the most aggravating, yet rewarding experiences you can have.

This year, the league decided to enter into a "pilot" taping session with a company that tries to sell networks on reality concepts. Okay, but the league, in it's infinite wisdom decided it was a good idea to allow the filming company to tape a playoff game with one of the most hotheaded coaches we have in the league, and I say that as a personal friend of the guy. When asked my thoughts about it by some of the higher ranking board members, including the current President, I just shook my head in disbelief. It's bad enough that the league, like ALL leagues, gets a bad reputation from pissed off parents who decide to make their problems public, but now they're going to take it national. unbelievable.

I will give the current President kudos on one thing, though. The league became heavily involved in Head's Up Tackling, mandating coaching clinics and training. The league is being recognized by the NFL during the playoffs, I believe.

I've hashed out my experiences as a 15-year member of a youth football league here in Katy, TX in previous posts. It is one of the largest football leagues in the state of Texas. I have been everything from a sideline parent to the President of the league. It can be one of the most aggravating, yet rewarding experiences you can have.

This year, the league decided to enter into a "pilot" taping session with a company that tries to sell networks on reality concepts. Okay, but the league, in it's infinite wisdom decided it was a good idea to allow the filming company to tape a playoff game with one of the most hotheaded coaches we have in the league, and I say that as a personal friend of the guy. When asked my thoughts about it by some of the higher ranking board members, including the current President, I just shook my head in disbelief. It's bad enough that the league, like ALL leagues, gets a bad reputation from pissed off parents who decide to make their problems public, but now they're going to take it national. unbelievable.

I will give the current President kudos on one thing, though. The league became heavily involved in Head's Up Tackling, mandating coaching clinics and training. The league is being recognized by the NFL during the playoffs, I believe.
heads up tackling is going to do more harm than good. it's so awkward and unnatural, it won't happen in when people are moving fast. it would be so easy to avoid that tackle. parents might fall for it, more kids play that otherwise wouldn't and more kids get hurt. not really the point of the thread but it's january, who cares

I have a great deal of exposure to youth sports. And I can tell you this is not unique to Texas. Yes, it may be worse in Texas...especially in football. But there is no shortage of horrible parents in sports in Central New York either. And no, Bees, I'm not just talking about abuse of referees. (Although that is rampant.). I'm talking about folks literally screaming at 5, 6, 7 year olds. Kids crying and parents still yelling at them. It's crazy. They're crazy. We're crazy for allowing it.

Last edited:
I have a great deal of exposure to youth sports. And I can tell you this is not unique to Texas. Yes, it may be worse in Texas...especially in football. But there is no shortage of parents in sports in Central New York either. And no, Bees, I'm not just talking about abuse of referees. (Although that is rampant.). I'm talking about folks literally screaming at 5, 6, 7 year olds. Kids crying and parents still yelling at them. It's crazy. They're crazy. We're crazy for allowing it.

I had a coach in little league baseball ( in FM, by the way) who was notorious for yelling at us/his players. Maybe my perspective was skewed because I was young and (sometimes) on the receiving end, but it was well known by many. Particularly kids who weren't as good at the game. You missed a grounder? He'd hit it harder. I had a friend who didn't get a hit all year bc he was so scared of getting yelled at. Luckily for me, I was decent enough that I could get by without too much yelling. I can understand, maybe, school sports having coaches that yell, as it can be a way of motivating and toughening kids, but there's a limit.

I literally would dread practice. That should not happen.

Millhouse said:
heads up tackling is going to do more harm than good. it's so awkward and unnatural, it won't happen in when people are moving fast. it would be so easy to avoid that tackle. parents might fall for it, more kids play that otherwise wouldn't and more kids get hurt. not really the point of the thread but it's january, who cares

Oh, I absolutely agree. But it's the perception that counts. The perception is that the League is doing what's in the best interest of the child, which is supported by one of the most recognized sports league in the world.

I know many of us cringe in horror when we see a video like this. But at the end of the day, all we want are good football players on our college team right? I think we are partially to blame for some of this. I wonder how many Syracuse football players endured this growing up? Probably a bad example because we may not have many players in states where videos like this take place.

As a Texan who grew up in a small country town, 4A division, and perennial state playoff contender, I can tell you that little league football is pretty serious. But, I think this trailer shows some over-the-top behavior that isn't really representative of the league.

I know many of us cringe in horror when we see a video like this. But at the end of the day, all we want are good football players on our college team right? I think we are partially to blame for some of this. I wonder how many Syracuse football players endured this growing up? Probably a bad example because we may not have many players in states where videos like this take place.

As a Texan who grew up in a small country town, 4A division, and perennial state playoff contender, I can tell you that little league football is pretty serious. But, I think this trailer shows some over-the-top behavior that isn't really representative of the league.
My son played with the Predators which is one of teams featured in this show. He also played in Nebraska and PA. I can tell you this goes on there as well. There is recruiting at a young age and I wouldnt be suprised if parents got $ for having their kids play with certain clubs.

syr02esq said:
I know many of us cringe in horror when we see a video like this. But at the end of the day, all we want are good football players on our college team right? I think we are partially to blame for some of this. I wonder how many Syracuse football players endured this growing up? Probably a bad example because we may not have many players in states where videos like this take place. As a Texan who grew up in a small country town, 4A division, and perennial state playoff contender, I can tell you that little league football is pretty serious. But, I think this trailer shows some over-the-top behavior that isn't really representative of the league.

No, I have kids and know that it's highly unlikely that either of then is going to college on an athletics scholarship. I want their involvement in sports to be positive and uplifting. This nonsense is not that. It's about idiot adults living out their wet dream of being a hard ass coach. It's stupid and obscene.

No, I have kids and know that it's highly unlikely that either of then is going to college on an athletics scholarship. I want their involvement in sports to be positive and uplifting. This nonsense is not that. It's about idiot adults living out their wet dream of being a hard ass coach. It's stupid and obscene.

And that's why the real adults have to step in and establish order.

Programs with abusive coaches will die because kids won't want to play and many parents won't want to be involved with the idiot parents who have free reign.

Someone funds that league. That's the pressure point.

And no, Bees, I'm not just talking about abuse of referees. (Although that is rampant.).

They deserve it though.

Townie72 said:
And that's why the real adults have to step in and establish order. Programs with abusive coaches will die because kids won't want to play and many parents won't want to be involved with the idiot parents who have free reign. Someone funds that league. That's the pressure point.

Do you think the behavior of parents and coaches in youth sports is getting better, or worse?

Eh, I'm not really sure this is sensationalized as much as a simple coming to light of the real serious issues at the highest levels of the sport. Is it really that big a problem in youth leagues and up through high school? i'm not sure anyone really knows. I covered HS football in MD for seven years and I'd say those kids hit pretty hard, so it wouldn't shock me. But who knows.

I think the larger point is that people take this stuff waaaaayyyyyyy too seriously. Whether we're talking about injuries or not, the basic point is that youth sports have taken on such absurd importance due to some ill-conceived notion that starting a sport at 4 is how you get a scholarship -- never mind that most parents spend a fortune to get their kid a partial ride to Shippensburg (if it actually works out).

Are people over-reacting to head injuries? maybe. Are these guys over-the-top examples of youth coaches? It certainly appears that way. But as a general rule it'd be hard to argue that youth sports haven't gotten far too involved.

But at the end of the day, all we want are good football players on our college team right? I think we are partially to blame for some of this.

Partially? I agree with your point but I'd take it several steps further and say the extent to which people seem to dedicate significant portions of their lives to their favorite teams is unreal. But, if you're going to deify your favorite players and participate in the machine that builds massive basketball-only practice facilities (the worst waste of money ever) and pays pro athletes tens or hundreds of millions, then you reap what you sew (myself included as I've thoroughly enjoyed all the recruits the melo center has helped bring to the hill).

Eh, I'm not really sure this is sensationalized as much as a simple coming to light of the real serious issues at the highest levels of the sport. Is it really that big a problem in youth leagues and up through high school? i'm not sure anyone really knows. I covered HS football in MD for seven years and I'd say those kids hit pretty hard, so it wouldn't shock me. But who knows.

I think the larger point is that people take this stuff waaaaayyyyyyy too seriously. Whether we're talking about injuries or not, the basic point is that youth sports have taken on such absurd importance due to some ill-conceived notion that starting a sport at 4 is how you get a scholarship -- never mind that most parents spend a fortune to get their kid a partial ride to Shippensburg (if it actually works out).

Are people over-reacting to head injuries? maybe. Are these guys over-the-top examples of youth coaches? It certainly appears that way. But as a general rule it'd be hard to argue that youth sports haven't gotten far too involved.

Where in MD did you work. What schools? What conference?

Where in MD did you work. What schools? What conference?

Pretty much all over. Frederick County, then Anne Arundel then some stringer work in Montgomery/Howard. Edit: As an aside I actually told Heather Dinich what the line-of-scrimmage was at a game she was covering with the Post magazine and then was standing next to her, dumb-founded, when she got the job at ESPN after working the cops beat at the Capital. She was nice, cute and a solid writer but I still have no idea how she pulled off the Capital cops beat -- to ESPN move. Unreal.

Last edited: