If this is why the south produces better football players... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If this is why the south produces better football players...

As someone whose kids have spent almost all their time in "everybody plays" leagues, I think all the kids that make an effort and pay attention and have an interest should play equally, regardless of talent.

But I've always wished the coaches had an option to delegate playing time based other factors. There's nothing you can do about it, by the time your get to 9, 10, 11 years old, winning and trying to win is important to most of the kids' enjoyment of the experience. I'd also argue that effort and dealing with winning and losing and disappointment around that are parts of the fundamental learning value of sports.

But every year, in every team, there are 2-3 kids that do nothing but disrupt, don't pay any attention, don't have any interest in playing, hassle the coach, don't show up to practice, etc. It's usually pretty clear they had no interest in it, but their parents thought it would be good for them. Often when it's time for these kids to go into the game, they whine about having to leave the bench where they were playing in the dirt or climbing the dugout. Sometimes they don't want to go into the game because they are on their mommy's lap being spoon-fed yogurt while they weren't in the game. I'm not kidding, I've seen that stuff with 8- or 9- year old boys.

And you see the coach have to convince them onto the field/floor against their will, and take out their best player, or a player who is making effort all the way. Just so they don't get in trouble by the rules. That sucks, for the coaches, all the other parents, and all the other kids, and there is zero lesson being learned by anyone.

I wish these everyone plays leagues came with an asterisk that said "Playing time will be distributed equally regardless of talent, among those who practice hard, listen to the coach, show good sportsmanship, and are good teammates. We do NOT specify minimum playing time requirements to players who are disruptive, disobedient or absent from practice."

Could never be done, but that's the ideal for the purely fun/developmental leagues.

If a kid isn't interested by age 8-9 they shouldn't be out there. I would say 8 is a good age. I mean all kids lose interest from time to time but I know what you are saying. Worse is a kid who is 6-7, whose parent is 3 fields over watching their other child who is older, while younger kid misbehaves, has to go to the bathroom, won't listen, etc. No parental supervision.

Here's a question... why is it that sports is the youth endeavor where we think yelling and general over-the-top hard ass behavior by "teachers" is (relatively) acceptable.

I was a band geek as a kid, and once in a while my high school director (who is nationally renowned ) would lay into us. But certainly not with the frequency and aggressive tenor that we see from coaches. Yet, the jazz program I was a part of won national competitions every single year for nearly 2 decades. We were a dynasty in every sense of the word.

My wife was in competitive dance programs and drama productions, and again, occasionally the leader of those groups would get on them about something, but not like we see from sports coaches.

I don't understand, honestly. Why is it that in sports we so readily accept boorish behavior from coaches, but not in other fields. And it's not like programs in those other fields don't experience the same levels of sustained success from great leaders.

Here's a question... why is it that sports is the youth endeavor where we think yelling and general over-the-top hard ass behavior by "teachers" is (relatively) acceptable.

I was a band geek as a kid, and once in a while my high school director (who is nationally renowned ) would lay into us. But certainly not with the frequency and aggressive tenor that we see from coaches. Yet, the jazz program I was a part of won national competitions every single year for nearly 2 decades. We were a dynasty in every sense of the word.

My wife was in competitive dance programs and drama productions, and again, occasionally the leader of those groups would get on them about something, but not like we see from sports coaches.

I don't understand, honestly. Why is it that in sports we so readily accept boorish behavior from coaches, but not in other fields. And it's not like programs in those other fields don't experience the same levels of sustained success from great leaders.

sports are inherently competitive. music isn't. sport is nothing without competition. the more naturally competitive an activity is, the less problem we have with boorish coaching

Remember this is a "reality" show so it really isn't reality at all just highlighting the bad which can be found throughout youth leagues all around this fine nation of ours.

I coach hockey here in CNY for my kids. And at the 8U level, I can tell you that I was able to get so much more out of the kids by praising the ones who were working and trying hard than by yelling at the ones who weren't. All kids want praise so when they see their teammates getting built up for working hard, they will respond in order to get theirs. Not every time but more often. And it helps you as a coach focus on the positives instead of dealing with the negatives all practice and game. It was a real eye opener for me because I've done my share of yelling in the past.

sports are inherently competitive. music isn't. sport is nothing without competition. the more naturally competitive an activity is, the less problem we have with boorish coaching

Why?

No, I have kids and know that it's highly unlikely that either of then is going to college on an athletics scholarship. I want their involvement in sports to be positive and uplifting. This nonsense is not that. It's about idiot adults living out their wet dream of being a hard ass coach. It's stupid and obscene.

Scooch, I have children too. My oldest is about to turn four years old. He plays organized soccer. He is now playing organized basketball. I am a competitive tennis player, and will see if he has interest in this sport as well. I can assure you that if I ever heard a coach treating him (or other kids) like the coaches on the video, I will nail that b@stard on a cross.

My only point is that although this behavior exists, I think it's not prevalent as one would think and this video is intended to capture viewership through over the top behavior.

Partially? I agree with your point but I'd take it several steps further and say the extent to which people seem to dedicate significant portions of their lives to their favorite teams is unreal. But, if you're going to deify your favorite players and participate in the machine that builds massive basketball-only practice facilities (the worst waste of money ever) and pays pro athletes tens or hundreds of millions, then you reap what you sew (myself included as I've thoroughly enjoyed all the recruits the melo center has helped bring to the hill).

Billsin01, I think you stated my point much more eloquently.

Scooch, I have children too. My oldest is about to turn four years old. He plays organized soccer. He is now playing organized basketball. I am a competitive tennis player, and will see if he has interest in this sport as well. I can assure you that if I ever heard a coach treating him (or other kids) like the coaches on the video, I will nail that b@stard on a cross.

My only point is that although this behavior exists, I think it's not prevalent as one would think and this video is intended to capture viewership through over the top behavior.

3 years old going on 4 now play organized sports! Wow times have changed. IMHO three and four year old boys should be in the backyard with Dad or Gramps playing on a swing set not having parents run around crazy bringing them to practice and games and paying good money to watch 14 kids surround a soccer ball.

Oh, that specific behavior is not ubiquitous, obviously. It's a reality TV show.

My point was more about culture, really. I'm just so damn uncomfortable with people putting so much emphasis on kids being "successful" at sports at such a young age.

And I like to take a swing at Texans whenever possible.

:cool:

3 years old going on 4 now play organized sports! Wow times have changed. IMHO three and four year old boys should be in the backyard with Dad or Gramps playing on a swing set not having parents run around crazy bringing them to practice and games and paying good money to watch 14 kids surround a soccer ball.

Lol TexanMark. For the record, we brought my son to his first soccer practice at 18 months. Yep, they start soccer practice at that early age. Don't worry, it's nothing crazy. The drills are very elementary -- like kick this cone with your leg, follow directions by going through this obstacle course, carry your ball and throw over your head into the net, etc. These days many organized sports start at an early age. I was shocked until my wife signed him up. I started soccer when I was in 2nd grade.

And yes, grandpa and me spend lots of time with him in the backyard.

Oh, that specific behavior is not ubiquitous, obviously. It's a reality TV show.

My point was more about culture, really. I'm just so damn uncomfortable with people putting so much emphasis on kids being "successful" at sports at such a young age.

And I like to take a swing at Texans whenever possible.

:cool:

Well, I hope Texans (Houstonians in particular) treated you nicely if you got to make it to the Texas Bowl.

Well, I hope Texans (Houstonians in particular) treated you nicely if you got to make it to the Texas Bowl.

I did not.

But I hear there were a couple SU fans there that totally ruined the day for everyone.

:rolling: