if we go 1-1 this week | Syracusefan.com

if we go 1-1 this week

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
whats the more important game to win? nc state would be our 1st road win (thats pretty sad) but against an average team, virginia would be another home win but against a top 10 team.

i think virginia is the bigger game. that road/neutral record is gonna be ugly all year, i think our best chance is winning the home games against the top teams.

I'd rather win a road game. I think we have about a 20% chance at beating Virginia. FWIW according to Joe(rot in he!!) Lunardi we already have 3 wins over tournament teams. (Fl State, Miami, Wake).

If we go 1-1 this week we are sort of at the same spot we are now in terms of probability. On the outside, probably a little better resume. But we are on the outside, with now less games to catch up. But I would still take it.

I would take the top 25 win. Only reason being that we have to get a few other road wins anyway to have a shot. But both will be valuable.

We need both. Would put us at 15-9, 5 quality wins and right in the thick of things in the top half of the toughest conference in the country.

if we win both i think we'd be somewhere in the last 4 in/first 4 out category

That's a good question. I think the answer is Virginia. A road win would be nice. obviously, but NC State isn't a tournament team, it would just be a road win. Virginia is probably going to be a top 4 seed in the tournament.

If we win both games this week we would have a realistic shot at finishing in the top 4 of the conference.

62440366.jpg

**Yes, I know that wasn't an option, but I like this meme a lot

I look at it like this: NC State, by the numbers, is a team pretty similar to us. If we come out and look completely lifeless on D against them and lose again (particularly if we lose big like we have in other road games), then the season is most certainly a total loss and our only goal should be to finish above .500 for the year.

If we come out and look like the real Syracuse, then we should win that game and it portends that maybe we can really play well enough away from the dome to actually merit NCAA bid consideration.

So I'm sort of looking at it from a different perspective of just the specific games on the resume.

That said, the UVa game is a complete mystery to me. I feel that we have a pretty low chance of winning that game as our guards just will not be able to execute against their defense. Several times this year, John Gillon has convinced me he's good to go and has his tough stretch behind him. I think the more correct thing is he is inconsistent and is likely to remain that way. If he gets 9 assists against UVa we can win. I fear he is more likely to get 3 assists and we lose something like 60 to 54.

Honestly it doesn't matter much which game we win if we go 1-1. We will be in about the same spot. Only thing for certain is we can't go 0-2. That would all but lock up the NIT

whats the more important game to win? nc state would be our 1st road win (thats pretty sad) but against an average team, virginia would be another home win but against a top 10 team.

i think virginia is the bigger game. that road/neutral record is gonna be ugly all year, i think our best chance is winning the home games against the top teams.
Good question. Better win both to be safe.

Hey Marsh, how much longer until your ACCT projections start? I always enjoy those.
taking a one year hiatus on it unfortunately. Kids stuff (starting the college looking process) and other stuff are getting in the way of my college hoops watching and following this year (not a bad thing).

beating nc st also means we have beat another team on the bubble like us. if we end up with miami/wake/gt/clem/nct st/Pitt wins thats the whole ACC bubble we will have beaten

I think its a good idea to beat teams that are bunched up in the middle with us. UVa would be the icing on a 3 game cake.

taking a one year hiatus on it unfortunately. Kids stuff (starting the college looking process) and other stuff are getting in the way of my college hoops watching and following this year (not a bad thing).

I'm tired of you prioritizing your "family's education" ahead of sports entertainment for strangers on the internet. Get it together, man.

I'm tired of you prioritizing your "family's education" ahead of sports entertainment for strangers on the internet. Get it together, man.
Every man has a price and we know what Marsh's is.

I think its about 95% that the best case scenario is that we are a bubble team come selection sun day (unless the highly improbably happens & we catch fire and go 7-2 down the stretch).

As a bubble team, we'll drop out on the first few cuts if we have 0 road/neutral wins. Gotta get as many of those as possible. Road games are meat & potatoes from here on out; top 25 wins are dessert.

Wake is a Tourney team? They have some solid computer numbers mostly due to SOS I think but they haven't done anything! They aren't fooling anybody:

I think its about 95% that the best case scenario is that we are a bubble team come selection sun day (unless the highly improbably happens & we catch fire and go 7-2 down the stretch).

As a bubble team, we'll drop out on the first few cuts if we have 0 road/neutral wins. Gotta get as many of those as possible. Road games are meat & potatoes from here on out; top 25 wins are dessert.

I think it would be relaly hard to believe they would be a bubble team come selection sunday and still have 0 road/neutral wins.

How about they lose to NC state, but then Beat UVA and sweep next week @Pitt/Clemson. Clemson gets you a road win and a win over a possible tournament team. 2 birds, one stone. (maybe)

I think it would be relaly hard to believe they would be a bubble team come selection sunday and still have 0 road/neutral wins.

How about they lose to NC state, but then Beat UVA and sweep next week @Pitt/Clemson. Clemson gets you a road win and a win over a possible tournament team. 2 birds, one stone. (maybe)
there will be little to no statistical difference between 0 and 1 road win. We need to pile them up, especially against near peer competitors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom