If we were to have a 9-3 type season, what | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If we were to have a 9-3 type season, what

I know I am a cynic. I watched the game today and thought when you get some solid recruits a few years experience in a system and in a dynamic strength, sprinkle in a few fast twitch, really athletic younger guys, you get a team that can ultimately compete with pretty much anyone.

I hope we finish recruiting strong in 2019. This class looks like a pretty significant step back, and that is something the program cannot afford.

Edit: MadNY's thread reminded me we have Abdul Adams and Trishton Jackson for two years. That definitely helps and makes me feel a little better.

Last edited:
I know I am a cynic. I watched the game today and thought when you get some solid recruits a few years experience in a system and in a dynamic strength, sprinkle in a few fast twitch, really athletic younger guys, you get a team that can ultimately compete with pretty much anyone.

I hope we finish recruiting strong in 2019. This class looks like a pretty significant step back, and that is something the program cannot afford.

Edit: MadNY's thread reminded me we have Abdul Adams and Trishton Jackson for two years. That definitely helps and makes me feel a little better.
I was on the verge of another thread..if we go 10 and 2. Damn

Still plenty of time, and if we keep winning I don't think this class will be a step back at all...

Still plenty of time, and if we keep winning I don't think this class will be a step back at all...

I hope so. I dont have any scripts or inside information to recruiting sites, so I am admittedly in the dark. But even if we land Robinson, we seem behind.

We will never recruit like FSU or Clemson. We’re lacking a recruiting base. We can and will snag better players with better play.

I see us as a system team that develops talent, steals a few 4*, and does more with less.

I’d look at a school like Wisconsin. They have a long history of outperforming their recruiting rankings be developing 3* kids to work in a defined system. They also grab a few 4* along the way. Stability goes a long way too.

We should, with Dino, always have great QBs and skill players. NJ, PA, FL can be mined for that. The Dome and tempo and system = Wiscy ground and pound tough OL and good D.

If it is all the same to you, I will wonder what type of recruits we could get with a 9-3 type season. It's a message board. kind of what it is for.
55FD7ADA-6B8A-4FBA-8BF0-C91D6D3B908D.jpeg

If we go 11-1 I would hope we could attract a couple of 5 star recruits to sign a letter of intent. That’s right, I said 5 stars. It almost like being a little boy and really wanting that puppy dog, but mom and dad won’t budge. :rolling:

If we go 11-1 I would hope we could attract a couple of 5 star recruits to sign a letter of intent. That’s right, I said 5 stars. It almost like being a little boy and really wanting that puppy dog, but mom and dad won’t budge. :rolling:
Very difficult to grab a 5*. First off, there are only about 25 of them each year. Alabama, OSU, and now UGA probably take a dozen among them. Then ND, USC, and Clemson take a couple each. The 3 Florida schools keep some of the local studs home, As do Texas and A&M in the Lone Star State. Don't forget Oklahoma, Michigan and State Penn, who seem to grab a Top 10 recruit on occasion.

I just want the Orange to consistently grab a half dozen of ESPN's Top 300.

The stars don't matter, the offer lists do. You should be hoping for kids with 30+ offers.

2019 is a smaller class. If we get 5-8 future contributors from the class, add in Trishton Jackson and Abdul Adams we'll be fine. Really excited about the two Canadians, Burnett, if we hold on to Nunn, and Williams the corner from NC. We add Robinson and few other highly recruited kids, there is a whole new perspective on this class.

I'm reminded of what Doug Marrone said once in a private setting (paraphrasing), "I don't give two shits of what some recruiting guru thinks of a recruit or how many stars he has. Most of them never even played high school football. I care about what I and my coaches see on the tapes and in person."

I'm reminded of what Doug Marrone said once in a private setting (paraphrasing), "I don't give two shits of what some recruiting guru thinks of a recruit or how many stars he has. Most of them never even played high school football. I care about what I and my coaches see on the tapes and in person."
Which is what every coach should say and does. But when multiple coaches from top programs agree and offer then that is reflected in their 'star' evaluation and offer list.
In No way that means I can find a full roster of no names without P5 offers and go 9-3 every season.

Which is what every coach should say and does. But when multiple coaches from top programs agree and offer then that is reflected in their 'star' evaluation and offer list.
In No way that means I can find a full roster of no names without P5 offers and go 9-3 every season.
Star rankings are based on who offers prospects and also the number of subscribers of each team's recruiting site. Hence why Rutgers has had better recruiting classes than us despite their kids barely being good enough to play for a G5 school...

Star rankings are based on who offers prospects and also the number of subscribers of each team's recruiting site. Hence why Rutgers has had better recruiting classes than us despite their kids barely being good enough to play for a G5 school...

Agreed, also think Dino is proving there is more to recruiting success than just star rankings. This is the blueprint for what a successful coach at Syracuse needs to do. Those hell bent on chasing stars when it comes to Syracuse football will always feel like we are on the short end. Syracuse will never be a destination spot for a bunch of 4 stars regardless of who the head coach is

The stars don't matter, the offer lists do. You should be hoping for kids with 30+ offers.
Yup.
Schaffer got mainly 3 star kids. Dino gets mainly threee star kids. The difference is the offer list. We were getting kids with offers from MAC schools, and a low level P5 like Cuse or Wake. Last class had kids with a lot of P5 offers from the low level P5's to the blue bloods.

We are not a 9-3 team, We are not a 9-3 team...
All the assumption on top of presupposition with a guess leads us nowhere. We are debated fruit loops and fairy tales. We can only truly judge what type of team we are at the end of the season. When we have a 9-3 record we are a 9-3 team. That will only happen with better talent. Right now I don't think we are quite there. We need more talent. We have alot of tough teams to play. None are a given. None. With that said we are seeing alot of improvement with alot more to go to become a perennial 9-3 team in the ACC. Dungey goes down and we're back to 4-8 type season.
hmmm

Hmm. We're a 7-2 team.

That may be true, but this post didn't age well. It's ok to admit that. I thought the same thing too.

That may be true, but this post didn't age well. It's ok to admit that. I thought the same thing too.
When we get to 9-3 I will admit that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom