1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

If you could choose, would you prefer 30 wins and sweet 16 or 14 losses + Final 4?

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by orangepassion, Jan 7, 2017.

1. NYCSUGrad

NYCSUGrad All Conference

Rude much?

pfister1 likes this.
  2. cuseattle

cuseattle All Conference

We did miss out on Kenny Anderson and turned out ok.

NYCSUGrad and obliterata like this.
  3. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

And Warrick, Rautins and Triche were 3 star players.

Every situation isn't the same. All 3 stars aren't going to pan out and every recruiting miss doesn't mean you'll end up better.

cuseattle likes this.
  4. AZcuse77

AZcuse77 Scout Team

Someone earlier said both opinions are valid, which I agree with. If you as a fan value having a great regular season more, great. If you as a fan value deep runs in the tournament and do not value the regular season more, great. I personally don't agree with how many rounds deep you go in a single elimination tournament being the end-all be-all with 20 vs 30 wins not mattering as long as you make it to the dance. Championships matter a lot more to me than which round you got eliminated in. There is a a lot of parity in college basketball these days, and judging my complete enjoyment of a season on the 1-6 games at the end I think I'd go crazy.

5. NYCSUGrad

NYCSUGrad All Conference

Looked up Quade's history. We were courting him, then Kentucky came in and metaphorically seduced him.

Top recruit Quade Green spurns Syracuse basketball as he picks Kentucky

Now he's the one metaphorically seducing his fellow players, per this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kentuc...st-Kentucky-assist-50361812/Amp?client=safari

Note that the writer used the phrase that Quade would get a lot of dimes to Diallo. Not a direct quote but not your usual sports journalist's lingo either.

And as per Urban Dictionary, a dime DOES mean a great pass to a teammate. But in the third definition, it doesn't mention basketball, but a quantity of drugs, a hot woman, a term for a rat and --- $10,000.

Urban Dictionary: dime

And what is Kentucky rumored to do with recruits?

As the late Art Linkletter's catchphrase went: "Kids say the darndest things."

cuseattle likes this.
  6. cuseattle

cuseattle All Conference

Check out the recruit forum on his thread if you have a few hours. :(

7. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

Do any of your posts have a coherent thought?

8. NYCSUGrad

NYCSUGrad All Conference

I usually don't but thanks for the tip; I have in the past.

9. Dave85

Dave85 Hall of Fame

Final 4.

NYCSUGrad and obliterata like this.
  10. obliterata

obliterata All Conference

Bad team? Our "bad" team beat 4 ranked teams during the regular season including Duke @ Duke. How many "bad" teams do that? Name one. Some 30-win teams don't do that.

Last year's squad was a good team that had a good season with a great ending, bad teams don't do what they did.

B every time

NYCSUGrad and realorange like this.
  11. NKR1978

NKR1978 Living Legend

Lute Olson had 5 in 38 years as a head coach. He was a great coach, no one would ever argue otherwise.

ssbriefcase, NYCSUGrad and MSOrange like this.
  12. NKR1978

NKR1978 Living Legend

There are some people JB can't win with. I'd love to go back and find threads after 2012 and see who argued that the season didn't mean much because we lost in the Elite 8.

13. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

All-righty then. You have your opinion, I have mine. They're different. I'm not wrong, you're not wrong. Someone is having a bad night. Giants fan? I feel your pain.

Could you tell me who forced you to read my post (or any other post for that matter) and waste your time so terribly? We take that kind of stuff seriously here, as no one should be forced to read things they find offensive. PM me if you don't want to out your captor. We have ways of dealing with situations such as this.

br801, Dave85, ssbriefcase and 3 others like this.
  14. TCuse99

TCuse99 Walk On

Don't need to read this long thread. The answer is Final 4 and it's not debatable. We can lock this thread now.

15. orangenirvana

orangenirvana All American

You and others in this thread (SWC) are confused.

Just because most would choose a 14-loss Final Four season over a 3 loss Elite 8 season doesn't mean 2012 "didn't mean much" or any other season that ended before a Final Four is dismissed.

The 2011-12 season was awesome. Just not quite as awesome as a Final Four season.

NKR1978, orange79 and MSOrange like this.
  16. newmexicuse

newmexicuse Starter

programs are measured first by ncs and secondly by ffs. it is an easy choice b.

HOFCeluck and obliterata like this.
  17. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

Agreed 100%. I don't get the "if you choose the Final Four option you don't care about 30 win seasons" opinions. Just because you choose one (as the OP asked) doesn't mean you don't care about the other. :noidea:

18. NKR1978

NKR1978 Living Legend

I like a mix of both, but a Final Four certainly takes the sting off of a couple down years. And I agree, 2012 was a great year. Wire-to-wire top 5 does not happen too often to teams not named Kentucky, Kansas, Duke or North Carolina.

Alsacs likes this.
  19. Actionthrill

Actionthrill Walk On

I say final 4. But I also think more people would choose option A if we were still in the Big East with our old rivals. Beating Georgetown, UConn, St. John's, Villanova all meant something. We are now in the ACC with no rivals. So I feel the regular season means a lot less when you're not playing a rival every week. So give me the final 4 but mainly that's the case because our regular season doesn't mean what it used to.

NYCSUGrad likes this.
  20. QUSE

QUSE Walk On

How are we as Syracuse fans not sick of sweet 16 finishes? We have what 25 of them? Let's be real no fans from elite programs like ourselves would ever bring up sweet 16s unless they wanna mock your post season choking job. How on earth is this even debatable?