If you could choose, would you prefer 30 wins and sweet 16 or 14 losses + Final 4?

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by orangepassion, Jan 7, 2017.

1. cuseattle

cuseattle All American

Check out the recruit forum on his thread if you have a few hours. :(

2. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

Do any of your posts have a coherent thought?

3. NYCSUGrad

NYCSUGrad All Conference

I usually don't but thanks for the tip; I have in the past.

4. Dave85

Dave85 Hall of Fame

Final 4.

NYCSUGrad and obliterata like this.
  5. obliterata

obliterata All Conference

Bad team? Our "bad" team beat 4 ranked teams during the regular season including Duke @ Duke. How many "bad" teams do that? Name one. Some 30-win teams don't do that.

Last year's squad was a good team that had a good season with a great ending, bad teams don't do what they did.

B every time

NYCSUGrad and realorange like this.
  6. NKR1978

NKR1978 Living Legend

Lute Olson had 5 in 38 years as a head coach. He was a great coach, no one would ever argue otherwise.

ssbriefcase, NYCSUGrad and MSOrange like this.
  7. NKR1978

NKR1978 Living Legend

There are some people JB can't win with. I'd love to go back and find threads after 2012 and see who argued that the season didn't mean much because we lost in the Elite 8.

8. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

All-righty then. You have your opinion, I have mine. They're different. I'm not wrong, you're not wrong. Someone is having a bad night. Giants fan? I feel your pain.

Could you tell me who forced you to read my post (or any other post for that matter) and waste your time so terribly? We take that kind of stuff seriously here, as no one should be forced to read things they find offensive. PM me if you don't want to out your captor. We have ways of dealing with situations such as this.

br801, Dave85, ssbriefcase and 3 others like this.
  9. TCuse99

TCuse99 Walk On

Don't need to read this long thread. The answer is Final 4 and it's not debatable. We can lock this thread now.

10. orangenirvana

orangenirvana All American

You and others in this thread (SWC) are confused.

Just because most would choose a 14-loss Final Four season over a 3 loss Elite 8 season doesn't mean 2012 "didn't mean much" or any other season that ended before a Final Four is dismissed.

The 2011-12 season was awesome. Just not quite as awesome as a Final Four season.

NKR1978, orange79 and MSOrange like this.
  11. newmexicuse

newmexicuse Starter

programs are measured first by ncs and secondly by ffs. it is an easy choice b.

HOFCeluck and obliterata like this.
  12. orange79

Agreed 100%. I don't get the "if you choose the Final Four option you don't care about 30 win seasons" opinions. Just because you choose one (as the OP asked) doesn't mean you don't care about the other. :noidea:

13. NKR1978

NKR1978 Living Legend

I like a mix of both, but a Final Four certainly takes the sting off of a couple down years. And I agree, 2012 was a great year. Wire-to-wire top 5 does not happen too often to teams not named Kentucky, Kansas, Duke or North Carolina.

Alsacs likes this.
  14. Actionthrill

Actionthrill Walk On

I say final 4. But I also think more people would choose option A if we were still in the Big East with our old rivals. Beating Georgetown, UConn, St. John's, Villanova all meant something. We are now in the ACC with no rivals. So I feel the regular season means a lot less when you're not playing a rival every week. So give me the final 4 but mainly that's the case because our regular season doesn't mean what it used to.

NYCSUGrad likes this.
  15. QUSE

QUSE Walk On

How are we as Syracuse fans not sick of sweet 16 finishes? We have what 25 of them? Let's be real no fans from elite programs like ourselves would ever bring up sweet 16s unless they wanna mock your post season choking job. How on earth is this even debatable?

16. SWC75

SWC75 Bored Historian

But this is: "Post-season is pretty much all that counts."

I was just saying that 30 win seasons are meaningful, too. I actually said that i'd rather have a Final Four than a 30 win season if it was a choice. I just felt that 30 win seasons also have value and should also be appreciated. . If you believe that then we don't have a problem.

orange79 and NKR1978 like this.
  17. realorange

realorange All American

Have to agree with you here SWC. 30 win seasons are a lot of fun and as I said earlier, I wouldn't ever want to give up the memories of those late 80s teams in the DC, Billy, Stevie era. Even though they didn't make a Final Four, they were a true pleasure to watch.
    Having said that, overall I'll take the Final Four over the big season in most cases.

cuseattle, NYCSUGrad and SWC75 like this.
  18. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 2017 Iggy Winner

I would gather most fans don't realize how much success we have had. Some fan's say 5 final fours by Boeheim and 6 overall is underachieving. It's also 8th all time. We also have the 8th most tournament wins of all time. Anyway you shake the numbers Syracuse is a top ten program.

19. orangehomer

orangehomer All Conference

people were really nice to you and gave you the obligatory "likes" after your puff post which was basically to thank cto for your seats. which I am totally for, by the way, I like the stories too. but then you start berating people in the nonsense post about 30 win season or final four or whatever, and it rubbed me the wrong way.

20. DoctorBombay

DoctorBombay All Conference

21. hungrychuck

hungrychuck 2nd String

I'll leave you to your opinion about Lute as a great head coach.

But actually we're both wrong on the numbers. He had five in 34 years as a head coach, unless you expected him to reach the Final Four from Long Beach City College.

22. orange79

Berating?

jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up.gif

Cusefan0307 and MSOrange like this.
  23. IthacaBarrel

IthacaBarrel Shaky Potatoes

Final four only thing I care about as a fan, I will remember last year far more than the great teams we had that didn't get to the final four, it would be like Dallas losing to Green Bay this weekend, Packers fans wont remember 10-6 regular they will remember the road to NFC championship and Dallas fans will be all for nothing.

Only thing that matters in NCAA regular season is getting in to tournament, the NCAA regular season is actually very boring and mundane because there are no player rivalries etc. Although NBA season is longer at least you get to see great match ups. I couldn't name you a player on any ACC team other than Syracuse or Duke and I watch just about every Syracuse game, you couldn't pay me to watch NC st versus Wake

HOFCeluck, QUSE and DoctorBombay like this.
  24. tbonezone

tbonezone All American

seasonal wins put butts in the seats. not final fours. attendance is down . nobody likes watching us get blown out at home.

two3zone likes this.
  25. TheGov3304

TheGov3304 No Value, None

Is this a serious question? Final 4...Much better for recruiting.