1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

If you could choose, would you prefer 30 wins and sweet 16 or 14 losses + Final 4?

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by orangepassion, Jan 7, 2017.

1. SWC75

SWC75 Bored Historian

But this is: "Post-season is pretty much all that counts."

I was just saying that 30 win seasons are meaningful, too. I actually said that i'd rather have a Final Four than a 30 win season if it was a choice. I just felt that 30 win seasons also have value and should also be appreciated. . If you believe that then we don't have a problem.

orange79 and NKR1978 like this.
  2. realorange

realorange All American

Have to agree with you here SWC. 30 win seasons are a lot of fun and as I said earlier, I wouldn't ever want to give up the memories of those late 80s teams in the DC, Billy, Stevie era. Even though they didn't make a Final Four, they were a true pleasure to watch.
    Having said that, overall I'll take the Final Four over the big season in most cases.

cuseattle, NYCSUGrad and SWC75 like this.
  3. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

I would gather most fans don't realize how much success we have had. Some fan's say 5 final fours by Boeheim and 6 overall is underachieving. It's also 8th all time. We also have the 8th most tournament wins of all time. Anyway you shake the numbers Syracuse is a top ten program.

4. orangehomer

orangehomer All Conference

people were really nice to you and gave you the obligatory "likes" after your puff post which was basically to thank cto for your seats. which I am totally for, by the way, I like the stories too. but then you start berating people in the nonsense post about 30 win season or final four or whatever, and it rubbed me the wrong way.

5. DoctorBombay

DoctorBombay All Conference

6. hungrychuck

hungrychuck 2nd String

I'll leave you to your opinion about Lute as a great head coach.

But actually we're both wrong on the numbers. He had five in 34 years as a head coach, unless you expected him to reach the Final Four from Long Beach City College.

7. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

Berating?

jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up.gif

Cusefan0307 and MSOrange like this.
  8. IthacaBarrel

IthacaBarrel Shaky Potatoes

Final four only thing I care about as a fan, I will remember last year far more than the great teams we had that didn't get to the final four, it would be like Dallas losing to Green Bay this weekend, Packers fans wont remember 10-6 regular they will remember the road to NFC championship and Dallas fans will be all for nothing.

Only thing that matters in NCAA regular season is getting in to tournament, the NCAA regular season is actually very boring and mundane because there are no player rivalries etc. Although NBA season is longer at least you get to see great match ups. I couldn't name you a player on any ACC team other than Syracuse or Duke and I watch just about every Syracuse game, you couldn't pay me to watch NC st versus Wake

HOFCeluck, QUSE and DoctorBombay like this.
  9. tbonezone

tbonezone All American

seasonal wins put butts in the seats. not final fours. attendance is down . nobody likes watching us get blown out at home.

two3zone likes this.
  10. TheGov3304

TheGov3304 Scout Team

Is this a serious question? Final 4...Much better for recruiting.

11. tbonezone

tbonezone All American

packed dome is much better for recruiting. besides you're still only talkin' a final 4 every 8 years. give me the w's.

two3zone likes this.
  12. CaptainJ

CaptainJ All American

Man, thank you for that. I came on here like I often do...but enough about that, I am so glad I saw this! Even when I saw the title"Cliffs of Behavior". I had no memory of it. You made me a happy guy, and from it not having previously been "liked" by me like the rest, I am guessing that may have been the first time I read Cuseregular's post that the thread was meaningful to him and the story of his screen name, which made me feel grand. I may have never seen that without your aid.

Cuseseattle, I wish I could high five you. That reminded me that I'm capable of much better than my recent rubbish... I'd like to get it back man. I hope I didn't offend you with my post about The Passion, and I'd like to get some of the passion back. Will you support Groo The (Happy) Wanderer on his quest to get his mojo back!?!? I'm serious, I dont want to be like Boeheim, I want to get back in form before it's too late!

Man, there's probably some lesson in this about how much we do that we forget, and there's so many ways we could look at it, like it's worthless I suppose, but I was stoked and want to buy you a beer sometime if I ever see you in what the hipsters call real life.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    cuseattle likes this.
  13. 81South

81South 2016 Iggy Winner

I want 30 win seasons AND final fours dammit But if I have to choose one it is final fours...march glory feels SO good.

14. Brooky03

Brooky03 Master Debater. Don't get offended.

This might've been mentioned already, but I'll take a season like the 09-10 season with Wes over our Final Four seasons since then. That team was special and it was fun watching practically every game they played. The MCW team and last season's team combined for about 10 fun games, most of which came in the NCAAT.

Generally speaking, though, I'd prefer the Final Four. A Sweet 16 team would only get preference if the team was otherwise awesome but held back due to something other than playing poorly (like injury or suspensions).

two3zone likes this.
  15. CorduroyG

CorduroyG All American

this is like asking would you rather your football team go 14-2 but lose in the afc/nfc championship game, or go 9-7 and squeak in as a wild card and go to the super bowl. theres only 1 answer, u want the team that goes to the final 4 and the super bowl!

16. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

The MCW team had everything we need to win a NC.
    1 elite college guard MCW
    1 good complementary guard Triche
    1 good mid range scorer Fair
    1 elite shooter Southerland
    1 elite middle defender BMK

Sub forward for either wing Grant
    Bench guard for depth Cooney
    Backup big Christmas

This team had it all but our offensive philosophy of NBA Iso ball KILLED THIS TEAM.
    If we had better offensive sets by about 10% this team should have cut down the nets with how elite and suffocating this D was.

17. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

My frustration comes from the fact I just think we leave potential on the table. Last year was the first time we maxed out what we had.
    Last year's team was not a final four team but they maxed out.
    2013 our offensive half court offense killed us.
    2010 was just an injury and the fact Matt Howard out toughed us.
    The 2010 team plays Duke for the title if we don't melt a 4 point lead with 3:30 left to Butler.

18. Brooky03

Brooky03 Master Debater. Don't get offended.

That team would have beat Duke... Like, by a lot.

Alsacs likes this.
  19. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

I wasn't mad at the 2012 loss to Ohio State.
    That Buckeye team had been top 10 all season long and as was a borderline 1 seed.
    We played a 1 vs. 2 and lost.
    2010, 2011 and 2013, 2014 hurt so much more.

Maxing out when you get your shot is what you have to do.
    It sucks for JB he should have more than 1 NC.

20. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

Yeah Lance Thomas, Brian Zubiek, Jon Scheyer, and Kyle Sillinger don't exactly scare me.

We had a chitty first half against Butler and came back. We had the ball and a 4 point lead going into the under 4 TO.
    Mack stole the inbounds after the TO was fouled and we melted down.
    That is the hidden hardest bad loss of the JB era.
    We win that game we play a double OT tired Kansas State team.
    5 seed mediocre Michigan State team in the Final
    lFour.
    Weak 1 seed Duke team.

RF2044 likes this.