If you have ever played pickup hoops, you will LOVE this | Syracusefan.com

If you have ever played pickup hoops, you will LOVE this

Classic. I didn't see myself there but I sure a lot of my friends! SUball

Actually felt uncomfortable watching it; I've encountered most of those and can't stand them - but it's worse when they're on your team. The worst is "Foul Guy" IMO - just ruins the flow of the game, and everyone knows he's FOS.

The worst people are the Player Coach and Foul Guy, have played with plenty of both. When I lived in Florida, regular Saturday morning game was the Old Guy who was a retired 65 yr old Dr, was slow but could shoot from anywhere.

The always wears pants (assuming windpants etc) guy doesn't bother me, its the people that wear jeans that annoy me

Shawn91111 said:
The worst people are the Player Coach and Foul Guy, have played with plenty of both. When I lived in Florida, regular Saturday morning game was the Old Guy who was a retired 65 yr old Dr, was slow but could shoot from anywhere.

The always wears pants (assuming windpants etc) guy doesn't bother me, its the people that wear jeans that annoy me
I used to play with a guy that would wear super tiny running shorts. That wasn't cool.

Lol. That's great. Love the foul guy and the imaginary dunker.

Other additions (my starting 5)

1.) Super Aggressive D Guy -- picks up at three-quarter court. pounds his palms on the floor when you bring the ball up as if Coach K came out to watch just him.

2.) Not Funny Trash Talk Guy -- he usually has the worst shooting % of anyone and never plays D. Nearly starts a fight.

3.) Blind Pick Guy -- does nothing other than set blind picks. O pts. 0 asts. 2 rebounds. 6 blind picks.

4.) Super Sweaty/Hairy Guy -- You play to 21. This guy is driping in sweat at 2-0. I hate guarding him. Usually doesn't shower either.

5.) Hand Check Guy -- You can never call it but this guy is annoying too. Does the bar in your back when you try to post up.

Honourable Mention All Annoying: Faceguard Guy, Undercuts you When You Shoot Guy

Great piece.

Last edited:
I played pick up ball at the downtown Y during lunch hour during the early and mid '80's. All those guys played there. I was the pants guy.

1.) Super Aggressive D Guy -- picks up at three-quarter court. pounds his palms on the floor when you bring the ball up as if Coach K came out to watch just him.

2.) Not Funny Trash Talk Guy -- he usually has the worst shooting % of anyone and never plays D. Nearly starts a fight.

3.) Blind Pick Guy -- does nothing other than set blind picks. O pts. 0 asts. 2 rebounds. 6 blind picks.

4.) Super Sweaty/Hairy Guy -- You play to 21. This guy is driping in sweat at 2-0. I hate guarding him. Usually doesn't shower either.

5.) Hand Check Guy -- You can never call it but this guy is annoying too. Does the bar in your back when you try to post up.

Honourable Mention All Annoying: Faceguard Guy, Undercuts you When You Shoot Guy

Great piece.
I'm like the Terminator version of the blind pick guy.

Anybody ever play with a guy with long dreadlocks? I used to play with this one guy who had them, and he used to be a rebound machine, because once you got whipped in the face by that hair, you would not go within 5 feet of him. He didn't smell too good either. You can add stinky BO guy on there.

It's so funny, and so accurate (totally safe for work)

That is great--I saw this two summers ago, when a guy from my work organized a pickup hoops afternoon between a bunch of consultants from my firm and several guys from a client that we worked with closely. He sent that out to poke fun at some of the guys who would be participating. A LOT of the guys who played that day fit the stereotypes from that very funny video!

Last edited:
"CooneyFaninVT"

You ain't even kidding. The idiots knew my shoulder was hurt but they kept telling me to shoot. And this idiot did.

Worst thing that can happen to a bad shooter (or in my case, a decent shooter who is hurt) is to make one of his first shots. Then the license has been issued.

Tall guy who wants to be a guard, checking in.

Hey, that's called being smart these days. No need to go inside and sprain an ankle. Those things hurt. And affect work...

Hey, that's called being smart these days. No need to go inside and sprain an ankle. Those things hurt. And affect work...

If my ankle even hints at trying to roll I crumble to the ground rather than put any weight on it! I have learned that looking stupid and having skinned knee's is preferable to a sprained ankle.

Now run the banana swirl!

That's the other thing, I don't like to run so can we just keep it to 3 on 3 half court. More space for my imaginary guard skills as well.

Last edited:

Great piece.
At 5'6" with a good drive but poor outside shot, Super-Sweaty Hairy Guy is my worst nightmare. I don't know if SS/HG ran ten miles to the court every time we met, but he was always soaking wet and ready from the very first moment. And chances were good that, on a switch, he would try to post me up at least once each game. I was too stubborn to bow out and let him back me down. The memory of wearing a large stranger's sweat and stank is still horrifying.

Last edited:
6'0" guy who drives all the tall guys insane by scoring on them in the post with all sorts of annoying fakes and spin moves... present and accounted for.

I actually had a guy in the 6'5" range so frustrated he raked my face twice in one intramural "playoff" game as an undergrad at SU. Lost my left contact lens and went out that night with the annoying lack of depth perception effect. The guy got tossed from intramurals for the year AFAIK. Saw him in my dorm (Dellplain) the next day and he gave me the cut eye look as if it was my fault.

Can we nominate a "Frustrated Borderline Assault" guy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom