If you listen to JB he thinks we can win games….eventually | Syracusefan.com

If you listen to JB he thinks we can win games….eventually

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Either he’s blowing smoke or he’s dumber than our fans. I know the posts here will most certainly say he’s dumber.

Again, not saying we will be great(even though people claim I said that in a different thread), but based on JB’s press conference he thinks we can win games and be competitive.

Curious to see how that happens. I do think the third game when we play our starters 40 hurt us yesterday especially with Buddy and Joe having absolutely zero legs.

Edwards and Buddy need to be the foundation. We need more out of Benny and the defense at least needs to get to somewhat average.

I still say we end up with at least 18 or 19 wins. This Is the same spot we were in the past 4 of the past seasons and we finished with 19, 18, 18 and 20 wins.

Either he’s blowing smoke or he’s dumber than our fans. I know the posts here will most certainly say he’s dumber.

Again, not saying we will be great(even though people claim I said that in a different thread), but based on JB’s press conference he thinks we can win games and be competitive.

Curious to see how that happens. I do think the third game when we play our starters 40 hurt us yesterday especially with Buddy and Joe having absolutely zero legs.

Edwards and Buddy need to be the foundation. We need more out of Benny and the defense at least needs to get to somewhat average.

I still say we end up with at least 18 or 19 wins. This Is the same spot we were in the past 4 of the past seasons and we finished with 19, 18, 18 and 20 wins.
we get more out of benny by plaving him more, symir needs more time as well . starting line ups should vary based on who we are playing.

Where do we find the PG who can bring the ball up under pressure and get it to those in position to score? Where do we find the hustle to loose balls where we are all to consistently being out hustled by teams?

Where do we find the D that will enable us to guard the top level athletic players we will face, the rest of the season?

Our season depends on answering these questions!

Love your enthusiasm, but I’m going with he’s blowing smoke.
Maybe, but there’s 4-5 years of posts of people saying the exact same thing as last night. We are where we are after getting boat raced by Pittsburgh last year.

Hey - never going to knock someone for hope.

I’m a bit more pessimistic about things bc of our defense and PG and overall talent, but that’s why you play the games.

As I’ve said before, just remember, it’s the hope that kills ya.

Where do we find the PG who can bring the ball up under pressure and get it to those in position to score? Where do we find the hustle to loose balls where we are all to consistently being out hustled by teams?

Where do we find the D that will enable us to guard the top level athletic players we will face, the rest of the season?

Our season depends on answering these questions!

My personal opinion is that since our D is already atrocious, I would start Symir, give him lead ball handling duties for getting the ball up the floor, bump Joe to the 2, Buddy to the 3, Swider to the 4, and then Jesse.

We’ll still be hideous at D but we need to get into our offense sooner.

I’d sub in Benny and Jim Jr to help with ball handling duties to piece it together.

We can’t start our offense at 20 seconds each time with Joe exhaustively making a pass to Buddy or Cole 22 feet from the hoop.

The fact that we are hoping for that shows how far we have fallen. We have less talent and athleticism on this roster than even the past 4 mediocre seasons.

I think “competitive” is a low bar for a program like Syracuse. It’s all relative.

I’d like to see a top-25 ranking again.
Agree it’s a low bar but it’s unfortunately what I have accepted for this year and next. We are at best a bubble team. Upside is a team that can get hot and win a game or two in the NCAA’s. Downside is a team that hovers around .500 with some embarrassing losses.

My hope is to get Jimmy to 1,000 wins again this year and see if we can win the transfer market.

Cuse!

25 games left. We would need to win 15 more just to get to 18 wins. And our next three are against IU, FSU, and Nova. We shall see.

The fact that we are hoping for that shows how far we have fallen. We have less talent and athleticism on this roster than even the past 4 mediocre seasons.
This post has been made in each of the last recent seasons though. I never said we were going to be great. That’s a different conversation.

This post has been made in each of the last recent seasons though. I never said we were going to be great. That’s a different conversation.

I hope you are right. I’m just going by what I see. The line between optimism and delusion is razor thin.

My personal opinion is that since our D is already atrocious, I would start Symir, give him lead ball handling duties for getting the ball up the floor, bump Joe to the 2, Buddy to the 3, Swider to the 4, and then Jesse.

We’ll still be hideous at D but we need to get into our offense sooner.

I’d sub in Benny and Jim Jr to help with ball handling duties to piece it together.

We can’t start our offense at 20 seconds each time with Joe exhaustively making a pass to Buddy or Cole 22 feet from the hoop.

I like that proposed lineup. Symir hasn’t really earned the start but we really need his ball handling. I doubt it happens and the argument would be we can’t lose Jimmy’s rebounding but at least worth some game minutes to see how it works.

I think Benny needs to start for confidence building and to get him in the flow. Again, he hasn’t earned it but he offers a higher upside than Jimmy and he will get better defensively.

Cuse!

ACC is down this year. We won’t see a team like Auburn again except when we play Duke.

We aren’t that good this year - but if you’ve been following the ACC OOC we aren’t alone.

We already saw improvement from the Colgate game to the Auburn game.

I do think we can get to 18 wins. But there will definitely be some games where we get killed

Yeah, I also struggle a bit more with who the "upside" guys are, as compared to any other season we've ever had, and how those guys can impact our team even in best case scenarios.

I know we have Benny, and Edwards, but I'm not sure even if they have a really decent positive upward trajectory that we fix much of what ails us. We also have 2 somewhat immovable objects in front of Benny, so I assume his trajectory looks a lot like what we've seen from our recruits of late.

Plus, Benny sucks at spacing.

We shall see how it all plays out - but I'm concerned.

ACC is down this year. We won’t see a team like Auburn again except when we play Duke.

We aren’t that good this year - but if you’ve been following the ACC OOC we aren’t alone.

We already saw improvement from the Colgate game to the Auburn game.

I do think we can get to 18 wins. But there will definitely be some games where we get killed

Yeah, I suppose this is a good point - I don't have a full picture on the ACC yet. Perhaps there are a lot of really, really bad teams - and that does play into our hands a bit. Especially if we can play those ones twice!

I like that proposed lineup. Symir hasn’t really earned the start but we really need his ball handling. I doubt it happens and the argument would be we can’t lose Jimmy’s rebounding but at least worth some game minutes to see how it works.

I think Benny needs to start for confidence building and to get him in the flow. Again, he hasn’t earned it but he offers a higher upside than Jimmy and he will get better defensively.

Cuse!

I want Benny to be our Scottie Barnes. Super sixth man. Do everything guy.

He needs to stop thinking he needs to hit Js to get to the league. That’s not his path.

He's smart not to give up on his team after 6 games. That's what a coach should do. We'll see whether we can turn it around. My fear is that we've pressed our luck too many times in recent years and this time we've run out. The holes in this team are glaring and there are no ready answers for fixing them. The whammy is coming for us.

I hope you are right. I’m just going by what I see. The line between optimism and delusion is razor thin.
This has been said recent seasons too. And people were wrong. The board struggles with remembering recent history. If I am wrong you can bump this thread, but the board said we were going to have losing seasons in each of the last 5 years after 6-10 games and it was wrong. I choose to go by how this has historically played out. If I am
wrong you can poke fun all you want, but the board has been wrong about us finishing with a losing record for about 5 years in a row. Fans tend to overreact to early season losses. Am I happy with what’s going on?

No, but JB will find some way to get us competitive.

This has been said recent seasons too. And people were wrong. The board struggles with remembering recent history. If I am wrong you can bump this thread, but the board said we were going to have losing seasons in each of the last 5 years after 6-10 games and it was wrong. I choose to go by how this has historically played out. If I am
wrong you can poke fun all you want, but the board has been wrong about us finishing with a losing record for about 5 years in a row. Fans tend to overreact to early season losses. Am I happy with what’s going on?

No, but JB will find some way to get us competitive.

If we're 3-6 going into G'town, it's going to be tough to recover. Kids lose confidence and coaches eventually lose teams. Things can snowball out of control. The on-court bickering isn't inspiring hope in me. And it's a big ask of a 80-year old to keep a team short on depth and talent focused. Not worried about his kids. They'll keep grinding but all it takes is one weak link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom