If you listen to JB he thinks we can win games….eventually | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If you listen to JB he thinks we can win games….eventually

Fair enough. I’m being realistic here. I said 18-21 wins based on past history. I am not saying we are great. People have tried to misconstrue my words.

I just know its not cool to post anything with any positive(realistic) spin here anymore so I make fun of posters who have repeated the same thing for 5-6 years when they act like stuff wasn’t posted and it’s triggered some. Like everything else Americans have short attention spans. If this was the OT board I’d be bumping Kaiser posts from years ago just to prove the point ;).
What OT board? :cool:

Might. the league doesn't look strong. But we still can't handle the ball. We still play just terrible defense.
Well my narrative goes like this. The Colgate game I throw out because it was a statistical anomaly. VCU they played decent but cold shooting Cole did us in. I don't really blame him that much, playing a mega game at a crazy resort with a strange gym. Happens. Then they beat a tough minded ASU team in a very unrelenting game with a lot of athletes and full court press all game long. By the time they got to Auburn, 3rd game in 3 days against a athletic pressing squad, they just didn't have any gas left in the tank. He let Benny and Symir play a lot and get some valuable experience. I'm drawing a line across the schedule at this point and think the team is considerably better from here on out.

If we win 2 of 3, I suspect you are saying, as you should, that Nova is a loss. We will not be in "good shape" 4 losses in the OOC is trouble. Big trouble. We play B.C and Pitt twice. While they will help out win total, hopefully, they won't help our RPI.
BC and Pitt are not easy wins. Pitt kicked our butts twice last year when they were terrible.

BC and Pitt are not easy wins. Pitt kicked our butts twice last year when they were terrible.
Not the same team. they lost what good players they had. But there may not be easy games for us this year. But if there is, B.C. and Pitt will be it.

If we win more than one of the next three, I will be pleasantly surprised.
If we win one of the next three, I’ll be surprised. I mean, I can’t imagine losing four in a row, so I gotta believe we find a way to win one of them—somehow. But we may have entered uncharted territory.

If we win one of the next three, I’ll be surprised.
No game is a given this year. Even a "bad" team could be a horrible match up for us. Watched Georgetown last night; while not a good team, they are a typical Hoyas squad that will give us fits all game with full court pressure.

I thought JB did a real good job in that presser. And god forbid the HC shows some positivity.
Yea, he can’t have his team lose confidence at this point. That would be a death knell. I agree he’s saying the right things. He can’t worry about fans and their expectations or being “real” with us. I’m fine with it.

Last edited:
The HC isn’t a moron.
He is stubborn, loyal and thin skinned.
He says a lot of stuff.
I don’t think we suck.
We are just medicore. Which is what we have been for 2 entire senior classes now.

The HC is stubborn and that is his decision.
He went all-in with the PG situation.
That was an OBVIOUS second guess but what do us idiots who know.

The kids are good kids.
Hooray we can white knuckle again for a double digit seed and win 2 games before being overwhelmed.

The HC wanting to lash out at fans really helps as well. As he hears everything and won’t just let it go.

Of course we will win some games but being 12-8 in a bad ACC isn’t the goal of the program.
We are a shell of the program and if that becomes accepted as the truth then the complaining should stop.

The HC isn’t a moron.
He is stubborn, loyal and thin skinned.
He says a lot of stuff.
I don’t think we suck.
We are just medicore. Which is what we have been for 2 entire senior classes now.

The HC is stubborn and that is his decision.
He went all-in with the PG situation.
That was an OBVIOUS second guess but what do us idiots who know.

The kids are good kids.
Hooray we can white knuckle again for a double digit seed and win 2 games before being overwhelmed.

The HC wanting to lash out at fans really helps as well. As he hears everything and won’t just let it go.

Of course we will win some games but being 12-8 in a bad ACC isn’t the goal of the program.
We are a shell of the program and if that becomes accepted as the truth then the complaining should stop.
The Head coach is a moron? Really? No. He isn't. There is a difference between wrong and being a moron. This board gets worse by the day.

With regards to the OP, I think there are a few questions that we should look at, first, how do we define what 'win eventually' means? Also, how is that measured? These are questions that most people will answer differently depending on the lens in which they view our program, and college basketball as a whole. To help clarify these questions lets use an example (other possible examples are very much welcome), if we improve as a team toward the end of the season and, say, win 4 of our last 5 regular season games, end up with a .500 record and miss out on the tournament, is that by definition what we are talking about? And, i guess a totally separate but related question is, is that acceptable?
Those questions not withstanding, I definatly agree with some of what 0307 says, JB has always done a quality job at building his team over the course of the season, its one of his strengths. Having one of the toughest out of conference schedules in years which isn't helping us either this year. But i do also belive we have some major warts as a team. As much as we would like for the answers to be "yes" or "no" "good" or "bad", more often than not the answers probably lie somewhere in between, imho

If we win 2 of 3, I suspect you are saying, as you should, that Nova is a loss. We will not be in "good shape" 4 losses in the OOC is trouble. Big trouble. We play B.C and Pitt twice. While they will help out win total, hopefully, they won't help our RPI.
Gotta disagree with this. Beating Indiana and Florida State, both top 30 KenPom teams (probably similar in the NET), would be very good resume wins. But I think it’ll be tough for us to win even one of those, let alone both.

With regards to the OP, I think there are a few questions that we should look at, first, how do we define what 'win eventually' means? Also, how is that measured? These are questions that most people will answer differently depending on the lens in which they view our program, and college basketball as a whole. To help clarify these questions lets use an example (other possible examples are very much welcome), if we improve as a team toward the end of the season and, say, win 4 of our last 5 regular season games, end up with a .500 record and miss out on the tournament, is that by definition what we are talking about? And, i guess a totally separate but related question is, is that acceptable?
Those questions not withstanding, I definatly agree with some of what 0307 says, JB has always done a quality job at building his team over the course of the season, its one of his strengths. Having one of the toughest out of conference schedules in years which isn't helping us either this year. But i do also belive we have some major warts as a team. As much as we would like for the answers to be "yes" or "no" "good" or "bad", more often than not the answers probably lie somewhere in between, imho
Not making the tournament is not acceptable for this program. Will we get "better"? God, I would have to think there isn't any other direction to go. On defense, we are just horrible. It really is hoping they ,miss and the ball happens to go to us on the rebound.

I know it’s hard for fans to not throw Girard under the bus, but I did learn he was sick yesterday from the presser so I think he deserves a bit of a pass for his performance yesterday after being hounded for 2.5 games.

The Head coach is a moron? Really? No. He isn't. There is a difference between wrong and being a moron. This board gets worse by the day.

He said he was not a moron.
But that he is stubborn.
Which I agree with.

And in my view, for a coach being stubborn can pay off at times as it encourages consistency in the program. For JB it has paid off many times - most of his era in fact.. But it can also work against you at times.

Gotta disagree with this. Beating Indiana and Florida State, both top 30 KenPom teams (probably similar in the NET), would be very good resume wins. But I think it’ll be tough for us to win even one of those, let alone both.
Don't include FSU, they are a ACC team. You want to include them, there are other ACC games we can win that will help. Right now, I don't see us beating anyone any good. Although I do think we can beat I.U. at the Dome.

Girards issue isnt handle its size/strength to hold off guys playing the pressure D if bump/grind isnt gonna be called.

I know it’s hard for fans to not throw Girard under the bus, but I did learn he was sick yesterday from the presser so I think he deserves a bit of a pass for his performance yesterday after being hounded for 2.5 games.
Girard is a nice player who is developing.
The problem is the HC made him a made man as a freshman when he was literally the only option and now he has to be a 4 year 30 MPG starter instead of just being a player who developed and became a starter.

The staff screwed him. Instead of him growing and becoming better and starting.
We have a flawed team.
The recruiting misses before Girard screwed him and it’s pointless to discuss the kid who is gone now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom