If You Think About It | Syracusefan.com

If You Think About It

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Schiano could not have picked a worse time to leave Rutgers. 6 days before LOI day. Way after the coaches convention. All the decent candidates were locked up weeks or months ago. Recruiting is thrown into a shambles. Whoever gets the job is going to have an extremely difficult time putting together a staff.

They almost have to promote from within, even though there are no good candidates available. It could very well come to pass that Cignetti goes from getting fired at Pitt to becoming the RU head coach over the course of 1st season.

The kicker is that RU had a very bad offense in 2011, finishing 112th in rushing offense and 99th in total offense (Syracuse was 90th). Hard to imagine how he could fail that badly given that the RU offense was loaded with playmakers, especially at the WR position.

Schiano could not have picked a worse time to leave Rutgers. 6 days before LOI day. Way after the coaches convention. All the decent candidates were locked up weeks or months ago. Recruiting is thrown into a shambles. Whoever gets the job is going to have an extremely difficult time putting together a staff.

They almost have to promote from within, even though there are no good candidates available. It could very well come to pass that Cignetti goes from getting fired at Pitt to becoming the RU head coach over the course of 1st season.

The kicker is that RU had a very bad offense in 2011, finishing 112th in rushing offense and 99th in total offense (Syracuse was 90th). Hard to imagine how he could fail that badly given that the RU offense was loaded with playmakers, especially at the WR position.

They have NO QB

It's the way you treat FAMILY my man. Yes, indeed.

Funny how our coaching departure helped jump start their [meager] ascendance. Here's hoping that their coaching departure not only sets the universe back into alignment, but also helps SU come full circle at their expense.

I think leaving this close to signing day will help RU retain some of their recruits-IF they want to sign on signing day, there's just very little time to visit other places.

on the contrary, it was the best time for him personally,this about schiano not rutgers. and well it should be--many people leave jobs for better jobs with little or no notice. you bet pernetti knew and has as short list

I think leaving this close to signing day will help RU retain some of their recruits-IF they want to sign on signing day, there's just very little time to visit other places.
You think not knowing who the head coach is or who the assistant coaches are is a good thing? I guess if the HC and staff are really bad, firing them could be looked at as a positive for recruiting.

I have to disagree. RU has to move really quickly here to minimize the damage (they have a number of verbals who have already announced they have re-opened their recruiting). The RU AD made a good hire with Bug Eyed Rice the Wild Man as their hoops coach. Let's see what he can do under extreme pressure here.

I'm guessing this guy gets a call. Don;t think they could afford him though.

images

Yes, Schiano showed little loyalty to a school that gave him pretty much everything he desired.

Really tough leaving with six days to go.

Rutgers will have to hire from within.

You think not knowing who the head coach is or who the assistant coaches are is a good thing? I guess if the HC and staff are really bad, firing them could be looked at as a positive for recruiting.

I have to disagree. RU has to move really quickly here to minimize the damage (they have a number of verbals who have already announced they have re-opened their recruiting). The RU AD made a good hire with Bug Eyed Rice the Wild Man as their hoops coach. Let's see what he can do under extreme pressure here.

Time will tell, but kids generally want to sign on signing day and want to visit schools before signing with them. This gives other schools little to no time to get these guys on campus.

Look for Cignetti to go to the BUCS with Schiano. Kyle Flood will be interim head coach. Syracuse has been in touch with several recruits already. The timing is a complete disaster for Rutgers.

Look for Cignetti to go to the BUCS with Schiano. Kyle Flood will be interim head coach. Syracuse has been in touch with several recruits already. The timing is a complete disaster for Rutgers.

Just logged in and boy what a difference a day makes. Wondering why Schiano would do this if he cared so much about the school, the state and the kids -- the F.AM.I.L.Y. Kidding I know he jumped ship in a dying conference for plenty of $$. Having said that, if he cared so much why did he not wait 1 more week to make this announcement. Still would have left the recruits that he wooed to RU in the hopes of that cough, cough national title chance, but at least would have left the next coach with some nice talent. "BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!"

Just logged in and boy what a difference a day makes. Wondering why Schiano would do this if he cared so much about the school, the state and the kids -- the F.AM.I.L.Y. Kidding I know he jumped ship in a dying conference for plenty of $$. Having said that, if he cared so much why did he not wait 1 more week to make this announcement. Still would have left the recruits that he wooed to RU in the hopes of that cough, cough national title chance, but at least would have left the next coach with some nice talent. "BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!"

I think this situation is Catch-22. In reality he probably did the ethical thing. Sure its only a week, but if he had left after signing day, 20 recruits would have been screwed. Now at least they have a chance to see what else is out there. At the end of the day, in college football, there is never good timing.

I think this situation is Catch-22. In reality he probably did the ethical thing. Sure its only a week, but if he had left after signing day, 20 recruits would have been screwed. Now at least they have a chance to see what else is out there. At the end of the day, in college football, there is never good timing.
Good point(s). Also, he can say he left the Program in much better shape than he found it.

After 11 seasons as HC at Rutgers Schiano's record is 68-67 overall and 28-48 in conference. He completely turned that program around and it took him 11 years to break .500, and he played against an inordinate number of 1AA schools along the way. He is a good coach on the defensive side of the ball, but his other strength at Rutgers was probably recruiting which is something that doesn't translate at all to his new position.

I'm just amazed that Schiano left Rutgers with a winning record.

Time will tell, but kids generally want to sign on signing day and want to visit schools before signing with them. This gives other schools little to no time to get these guys on campus.[/q
my guess this late, the kids made all the visits they wanted to before committing. that said, the question remains as to what schools have scholies to give that were of interest to the recruits. if schools are sec, they will manufacture a scholie if need be or pull the over recruit bit.

JO - do you think SU has a chance at actually flipping any of those kids?

JO - do you think SU has a chance at actually flipping any of those kids?

Hopefully we get some flips but the more important thing to me is that they actually flip somewhere. That program dropping off the map is very good for SU. I don't feel bad either because we basically put them on the map in the first place. They should have been kicked out of the BE in the 90s for dragging the league down and creating a reputation that VT, Miami, BC couldn't get away from fast enough.

2013 and beyond is where you see dividends in recruiting, the wound is open and now its time for Marroen to find someone to mine NJ. If Rob Moore isnt that guy, then we need soemone that can do it because it looks like we get a whole new lease on life down there and a fresh start. Important we still pick maybe a NYC guy or two a year, but go straight for the Jersey heart.

2013 and beyond is where you see dividends in recruiting, the wound is open and now its time for Marroen to find someone to mine NJ. If Rob Moore isnt that guy, then we need soemone that can do it because it looks like we get a whole new lease on life down there and a fresh start. Important we still pick maybe a NYC guy or two a year, but go straight for the Jersey heart.
The Michigan connection in NJ is what worries me the most. I have feeling we will be battling them for a lot of the kids in that area.