If you were a 5 star recruit where would you go? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If you were a 5 star recruit where would you go?

Syracuse University!!!!! . . . . . . . . . of course I'm a die hard fan so there is that.
I couldn't imagine going elsewhere. I was no five star recruit, heck, I wasn't even a recruit period. I dreamed of going to Syracuse since I was in fifth grade when our class took a field trip to Syracuse University. When I was in 11th grade, I toured a bunch of colleges with my family, applied and got accepted at 3 other schools. The whole time I was thinking to myself that I really wanted to just go to SU. I was down to Syracuse and another school. I strongly debated. Then, when I toured Syracuse again and stepped on the dome floor, my mind was made up at that moment. My heart would not let me go anywhere else.

I'd have to assume my Syracuse fandom in this hypothetical doesn't change, so I'd go to Syracuse, likely without a second guess. Since I'm a 5-star recruit, I have the ability to change the fortunes of the program.

If I'm a 5-star recruit without strong ties to a hometown team then I'm likely getting away from home for the experience. Maybe somewhere that's always warm like UCLA, plus their history ain't too shabby. Not really worrying about which college can get me to the league. I'm a 5*, that's on me.

I'd definitely be staying all 4 years though! Okay, maybe just 2. Ehh, one and done. Get that $$$$$.

Of course Syracuse would be my number one choice if offered.

Then I would put certain schools in my top.
Would certainly consider my local state schools. No UK and no UL, hate them both.

Murray St.
West Kentucky

Then I would consider some teams closer to home.
Tennessee
Alabama
Missouri
Arkansas

National schools would probably be my last go to considering how much they wanted me and how much I liked my visits. Relationships with coaches would mean a lot.

Cuse- First Choice

Xavier- Like how they play. Could be the man there

North Carolina Central – Back up school. The play Puke and UNC and are local get the chance to Dunk all over them

Duke, UCLA, Stanford, maybe toss Miami in there.

Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Duke, then Syracuse. Seriously, if not for the zone, SU would be closer to the top of the list.

If I am coming in from an unbiased position and only doing realistic college choices for a high-end recruit:

The favorites:
- Duke
- Kentucky
- UNC
- Kansas

In no particular order.

If I wanted to add a few schools based solely on a location I'd enjoy spending 4 years, I'd include:

- University of Washington
- UCLA/USC
- Texas
- Georgetown
- Wisconsin

If I were going with a small school (<10,000 students), I'd add:
- Gonzaga

Because my father raised me right:
- CUSE BABY

Last edited:
If I could have a southern climate in Syracuse, I'd choose SU. But since that's not possible, and I'm an elite 5 star recruit who will succeed no matter where I play, I would consider:

Arizona, Florida, and maybe Oregon. Arizona and Florida for the reputation of the programs and the weather. I also selected Oregon because I think they are up and coming, and the weather is tolerable.

I would not choose Kentucky because I don't respect Calipari. I would not choose Duke either because I live in NC now, and Duke sucks IMO. Great coach and academics, boring as hell.

I wouldn't choose UK because I have some integrity and wouldn't want to be bought/sold like a piece of meat. I wouldn't choose Duke because K is old, and has a recent injury history. Five-ten years ago I would have chosen SU 100%, but not after sanctions and having a 73 year old coach. I'd probably want to go to play for either Mark Few, Mike Hopkins, or Jay Wright. I'd take and enjoy my 3 visits, then weigh the pros and cons and try to make an informed decision.

Western

upload_2017-5-17_14-53-53.jpeg

Syracuse would probably be my first choice; it was my childhood dream to play at SU.

For the fun of it, I'll pretend SU isn't a choice. In that case, I probably would have toured a lot of schools and just gone with one that felt right to me. Without the ability to tour them, a couple schools that stand out to me are:
1. Northwestern - great school and I love Chicago
2. Georgetown - Sorry, but I just love D.C.
3. Boston College - One of my favorite campuses that I have toured.

Assuming I'm a first round pick kind of prospect, I don't really care about going to the absolute best school; I'd rather go to a school that I'd like.

I wouldn't choose UK because I have some integrity and wouldn't want to be bought/sold like a piece of meat. I wouldn't choose Duke because K is old, and has a recent injury history. Five-ten years ago I would have chosen SU 100%, but not after sanctions and having a 73 year old coach. I'd probably want to go to play for either Mark Few, Mike Hopkins, or Jay Wright. I'd take and enjoy my 3 visits, then weigh the pros and cons and try to make an informed decision.
Would you take your two remaining visits?

I'd like to amend my answer.
I'd take an Official Visit to Kentucky. With a recording device hidden in my JanSport. And i'd ask probing questions and wait for the inevitable illegal benefits offers. And then I'd leave and call the New York Times.

Mostly joking. I not sure i'm superconvinced a coach who puts a ton of players into the NBA, is consistently ranked in the top 5, has a rosterful of other top 10 players to practice against and win with, gets top NCAA seeds, has a rabid fanbase, and sells out a huge arena, is always a favorite to win it all, etc. really needs to pay kids to go to school there. I'd like to hear DC specify it was them, and how and who made the offer. Is there some sort of 'code' among recruits that choose Not to go there that keeps them from exposing the schemes and scams? I'd think, every now and again, someone would be pissed at having to compete against that kind of corrupt machine. You lose to them in the tournament, get drunk, and you twitterbomb them, no? Is there a Blue Mafia silencing everyone?

Syracuse aside, probably Arizona. The coeds would be a big factor in my decision honestly.

As long as the school had a tradition of winning my only criteria would be fan base - I would want to play where there were tons of interested fans - Cuse, Duke, KY, Indiana, UCONN, etc. - I would never want to go to a school like Texas or Florida where no one really cares about hoops