Ifeatu Melifonwu entering 2021 NFL Draft | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Ifeatu Melifonwu entering 2021 NFL Draft

It would be great if he went in the first round. Kipper does not have him in the first round but he seems to be a homer for certain sec and blue blood program players.

That would be cool and would love to see him in Buffalo. However, if they take him at #30 in 1st round, it’s based on potential versus production. He was excellent for us, don’t get me wrong, but he was not a game changer. 1st round picks should be reserved for difference makers.

That would be cool and would love to see him in Buffalo. However, if they take him at #30 in 1st round, it’s based on potential versus production. He was excellent for us, don’t get me wrong, but he was not a game changer. 1st round picks should be reserved for difference makers.

Chandler Jones had about 10 sacks his entire SU career. He was a first round pick who's probably averaged more than that a season across a decade in the NFL.

Statistical production doesn't happen in a vacuum. Get Iffy a pass rush and a defence that can stop the run, and he will produce.

30th pick is hardly the first round anymore. Also dudes get drafted off potential all the time.

Chandler Jones had about 10 sacks his entire SU career. He was a first round pick who's probably averaged more than that a season across a decade in the NFL.

Statistical production doesn't happen in a vacuum. Get Iffy a pass rush and a defence that can stop the run, and he will produce.
I get your point. I guess if I was playing GM from my couch for my Buffalo Bills, I would always prefer the overachievers versus the guys with potential. And this does not include Melifonwu who has been both productive and talented. Rather take a guy like Eichenberg from ND who plays tackle. Not flashy but was a multi-year starter who got the job done. Plug and play for a first round pick.

Everybody wants tall, long, athletic corners... We check those boxes with Trill & Iffy. They're not as easy to find as one might think... Especially with NBA small forwards playing WR now.

The guys who check those boxes will be drafted above their traditional value based on measurables.

I get your point. I guess if I was playing GM from my couch for my Buffalo Bills, I would always prefer the overachievers versus the guys with potential. And this does not include Melifonwu who has been both productive and talented. Rather take a guy like Eichenberg from ND who plays tackle. Not flashy but was a multi-year starter who got the job done. Plug and play for a first round pick.

Eichenburg was a 4 star recruit who had offers from ND, Miami, FSU, Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Pitt, WV, Tenn, etc. He's now considered a 2nd round pick

Iffy was a 3 star recruit who had offers from SU, Michigan, Albany, Bryant, Holy Cross, Navy, and Maine. He's now considered a 2nd round, possible 1st round pick,

Which guy overachieved again?

I don't think we know if he was a game changer because we couldn't take advantage of what he gave us. This past season QBs didn't throw his way often but picked on the safeties a ton when we weren't getting run on. If our starting safeties stay healthy and we stop the run, his impact becomes more obvious.

Last edited:
Wow well guys, is there a material difference between the 30th pick and the beginning of the second round? That’s all I meant there.

How quickly this was forgotten or explained away.
I do get what you are saying, but that may be more applicable to the first 10 or 20 picks.

Wow well guys, is there a material difference between the 30th pick and the beginning of the second round? That’s all I meant there.
Probably not, but we could also say the first couple picks of the second round are practically the same as the first round.

for Syracuse University? Yes absolutely. To be able to say that they had a first rounder is a huge win for them in recruiting, doesn’t matter the actual spot currently for Syracuse.
Totally agree. I meant within the context of the NFL.

Well, 1st round picks have all 3 years of their rookie contract guaranteed. 2nd round picks only get the 1st year guaranteed. That's material, to me.

How quickly this was forgotten or explained away.
I do get what you are saying, but that may be more applicable to the first 10 or 20 picks.
If it doesn’t fit the #narrative it didn’t happen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom