IL Preseason Media Poll | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

IL Preseason Media Poll

I feel like that has to be a mistake. How does a team that loses its top scorer and 3 of its top 7 return 90% of its offense? If it's not an error, I'd question whatever metric he's using to arrive at that conclusion.
Im wondering if he somehow forgot to factor in Scanlon

My mistake was going by something he posted before ND released their roster.
he's also making projections or a calculation of whatever in that chart. not actual performance lost or not.

Duke added a star attackman in Lully and both UVA and they have a bevy of talent ready to step in. As good as UNC youngsters may be doubt they can seamlessly replace three AA mids

Im wondering if he somehow forgot to factor in Scanlon
correction from me, he's correct on duke, 65%. 75% uva. carolina's i thought was a tick higher but not much.

rehfuss, scanlan, trimboli and dearth were 43% of the points. 57% back. scanlan 12% of the total (and 13+% of goals).

i think notre dame is over 80%.

looks like it's just off on cuse and notre dame's not listed. maybe his EGA, whatever that is, throws it off for the orange for some reason.

It ain’t. I will put aside arguing our case compared to high point and Del as sometimes the best of the SoCon and CAA can compete, but there is just zero zilch argument for OSU above us.

Finish the year 0-3 getting walloped by MD and even failing to beat their fellow bottom feeders of the big 10, losing to Penn State and then michigan by a solid margin. They lost their best offensive player (yes Jack Myers got more points but Leclaire is a beast who drew massive attention all year) and a legendary impactful force in the middle of the field in Terefenko, along with other seniors. They lose a promising young starting middie to the transfer portal. All they bring in (I believe) are a transfer backup goalie from UNC, Caton Johnson, and a dII longpole. And they have one highly rated freshman longpole recruit. No coaching changes of any kind despite a prolonged stretch of mediocrity.

Just no argument for them being above cuse. It is either a purposeful edgy look-at-me decision or he knows somebody at the school. There is no argument for them being even a spot above Hopkins! Let alone who knows how many above Cuse.
While I have Hopkins as #2 in the Big Ten, I actually feel that the other five teams after Maryland are fairly close, and believe there is an argument for putting OSU in front of Hopkins.

While I have Hopkins as #2 in the Big Ten, I actually feel that the other five teams after Maryland are fairly close, and believe there is an argument for putting OSU in front of Hopkins.
I often agree with your takes or understand the point of view, but have no idea what about OSU's performance last year could have you excited enough to put them as #2 in the big 10/above hopkins. They hit the portal a bit but its not like they are bringing in a serious game changer.

I often agree with your takes or understand the point of view, but have no idea what about OSU's performance last year could have you excited enough to put them as #2 in the big 10/above hopkins. They hit the portal a bit but its not like they are bringing in a serious game changer.

OSU did beat Hopkins twice last year, albeit with a couple of caveats.

The first time they met was in game one, and Hopkins was coming off a campus lockdown. They flat out were not ready to play that game.

And had the teams met for a third time in the B1G tournament, Hopkins definitely would have won.

I'd rank Hopkins above OSU, but it's pretty close. Hop was the better team by the end of the year. The question is can they be closer to that team than the one in the first half of the season.

OSU losing Terefenko has to be one of the biggest losses in the country. He was the heart and soul of that team and did everything for them. BUT they are sneaky deep on attack now and have an excellent FOGO in Justin Inacio. I don't think the Mitchell loss hurts that much. Everyone seems to be very excited about that Van Buren kid.

Drew Blanchard did have a .655 FO pct at Hobart and Caton Johnson could be a significant improvement in goal for OSU. (OSU's team save pct was .423 last season.) Van Buren was a top 10 recruit on the defense.

What did Hopkins bring in? Name all the returning All-Americans for Hopkins.

Last edited:
OSU did beat Hopkins twice last year, albeit with a couple of caveats.

The first time they met was in game one, and Hopkins was coming off a campus lockdown. They flat out were not ready to play that game.

And had the teams met for a third time in the B1G tournament, Hopkins definitely would have won.

I'd rank Hopkins above OSU, but it's pretty close. Hop was the better team by the end of the year. The question is can they be closer to that team than the one in the first half of the season.

OSU losing Terefenko has to be one of the biggest losses in the country. He was the heart and soul of that team and did everything for them. BUT they are sneaky deep on attack now and have an excellent FOGO in Justin Inacio. I don't think the Mitchell loss hurts that much. Everyone seems to be very excited about that Van Buren kid.
they definitely would've won after losing twice?

hopkins sure does get a lot of props everywhere for finishing .500 in their last 4 games after starting out 2 and 7.

and having watched a number of the b1g's games, this was not their conference's best season.

they definitely would've won after losing twice?

hopkins sure does get a lot of props everywhere for finishing .500 in their last 4 games after starting out 2 and 7.

and having watched a number of the b1g's games, this was not their conference's best season.

you ever consider there's a reason they are getting props? if you watched any of those games you'd know, those last four were night and day from the previous 9. beat an eventual quarterfinalist/near final four team and looked better against maryland than most. certainly fared better against the terps than vermont did a week later and duke a few weeks after that. the rationale is that hopkins team, stretched to a full season, is pretty good and top 20 material. nobody is saying a whole lot more than that from what i've seen. not like anyone is suddenly predicting a title.

the team to watch in the big ten is michigan. it's now or never for conry otherwise his seat'll be mighty warm. that admin didn't invest in lax for no reason. they want to win.

you ever consider there's a reason they are getting props? if you watched any of those games you'd know, those last four were night and day from the previous 9. beat an eventual quarterfinalist/near final four team and looked better against maryland than most. certainly fared better against the terps than vermont did a week later and duke a few weeks after that. the rationale is that hopkins team, stretched to a full season, is pretty good and top 20 material. nobody is saying a whole lot more than that from what i've seen. not like anyone is suddenly predicting a title.

the team to watch in the big ten is michigan. it's now or never for conry otherwise his seat'll be mighty warm. that admin didn't invest in lax for no reason. they want to win.
my view is that the totality of a year is a lot better indicator for a team than a grouping of some of those games, at the end of the year or not. hopkins will be back at some point.

until then, i won't be giving them many (or any? do they have any layups?) definite wins in games they haven't played. some may, and it's their right.

michigan has layups all over their schedule. they should get wins. they've never once challenged for anything in the b1g. maybe this is their year, but it'd be an outlier.

my view is that the totality of a year is a lot better indicator for a team than a grouping of some of those games
sure, but i think a lot of people are (fairly? i think?) making somewhat of an exception for a team, under a brand new coaching staff, that did not have fall practice and then had their preseason cut short. i think milliman is on the record as saying they didn't even fully install schemes until march or april. they really got a raw deal last year. don't think it's much of a stretch to say the team at the end there would have emerged earlier in the season had they had the same offseason as their peers. maybe not. we'll never know. all of that being said, they won't have any excuses this time around.

Johns Hopkins did lose Cole Williams. Last year, the star lefty recruit Grimes was not successful in the lefty attack spot at the start of the season. They also lost their two top gb defensemen in Delaney and Reinson. While not a major contributor, Zinn transferred over to UVa.

Ohio State does have their positive model. Adding Blanchard to Inacio (.607 lifetime pct) allows them to dominate face-offs in most games, giving them more offensive possessions and perhaps some break away ones, along with taking some pressure off their defense. Knox and Colby Smith (who was injured last season) help to replace LeClaire on the offense. Caton Johnson performs well in goal having a save pct over .500, which would be a large improvement.

Johns Hopkins did lose Cole Williams. Last year, the star lefty recruit Grimes was not successful in the lefty attack spot at the start of the season. They also lost their two top gb defensemen in Delaney and Reinson. While not a major contributor, Zinn transferred over to UVa.

Ohio State does have their positive model. Adding Blanchard to Inacio (.607 lifetime pct) allows them to dominate face-offs in most games, giving them more offensive possessions and perhaps some break away ones, along with taking some pressure off their defense. Knox and Colby Smith (who was injured last season) help to replace LeClaire on the offense. Caton Johnson performs well in goal having a save pct over .500, which would be a large improvement.
I would pump the breaks a little on Blanchard leading to any sort of faceoff domination. 65% but he did it exclusively against NEC teams. Ignacio did 10% worse but the level of competition was way higher. Granted Blanchard deserves a little respect for showing promise with the new face off rules, but seems far away from a guaranteed slam dunk as a big 10 fogo. Would not suprise me if Ignacio takes the vast majority of face offs for them next year as he gets more accustomed to the new rules.

Foy caught some flak on his twitter fact for Cuse exclusion from his preseason top 20 but did explained his reasoning.
Cited two factors ,Cuse lost five starters four of whom were AA caliber ( six and five if Scanlan were included ) and Cuse schedule is brutal, said to check back with him on 3/3 which implies to me that he expects Cuse to be 1-3 with bad losses to UM and UVA and another to Army on 3/2. As Ive previously opined, a 1-3 start would not surprise me
Caveat was early rankings and subject to change as season progresses and that he has never shown a anti-Cuse bias which I believe to be true.
Understand there are many holes to fill and shifting is plugging while opening another Fair to say that our first line mid will no longer be touted as best in class but still believe Foy discounted Cuse too heavily. Should have a strong grasp where Cuse truly stands by mid season.

Dont care about OSU here, ill root for them to beat Rutgers when they play

Dont care about OSU here, ill root for them to beat Rutgers when they play
You aren't required to read the posts if you don't want to.
We are discussing rankings.
OSU does have an interesting game coming up on Feb 19 at UNC. Some posters might be trying to analyze the point spread for that game on the pick 'em thread.

Grimes missed his entire senior year in 2020 due to injury and then COVID, and then missed all of Fallball and most of January due to JHU COVID policies. That is to say he hadn't played in 2 years and it took a little time for him to come around last year.

He made the U-21 team as a midfielder as one of the few 2020 graduates so there is reason people are optimistic about his ability.

I'm not a big fan of IL, and I would definitely put Cuse in my top 20 if I had a vote, but Varello comes off as childish there. No need for "CEO" to be in quotes and the whole tweet reads as him being easily flustered. So one single solitary guy didn't rank your team. Get over it. Making it personal is weaksauce.

I'm not a big fan of IL, and I would definitely put Cuse in my top 20 if I had a vote, but Varello comes off as childish there. No need for "CEO" to be in quotes and the whole tweet reads as him being easily flustered. So one single solitary guy didn't rank your team. Get over it. Making it personal is weaksauce.
Like how you made it personal about Varello?

Like how you made it personal about Varello?

Huh? Saying his tweet is childish is not "making it personal." If that's the case then any type of criticism of anyone about anything is always personal. By putting CEO in quotes he was belittling Foy's bona fides and going after him personally rather than keeping it to the ranking. He could have just as easily taken issue with the rankings without resorting to that. He didn't even make any sort of counter argument. Just insinuated the guy was dumb and that's about it. So, yeah, childish.

Huh? Saying his tweet is childish is not "making it personal." If that's the case then any type of criticism of anyone about anything is always personal. By putting CEO in quotes he was belittling Foy's bona fides and going after him personally rather than keeping it to the ranking. He could have just as easily taken issue with the rankings without resorting to that. He didn't even make any sort of counter argument. Just insinuated the guy was dumb and that's about it. So, yeah, childish.
The best advice anyone can receive nowadays is DON’T TWEET. He was here for 5 years and gave his whole life during that time to the team. No doubt he is crazy passionate and no doubt he was pissed when he saw the head of IL disrespected us with his rankings. Just don’t be a fool and put your name on an insulting statement that stays with you online forever. Let it go! Come over here and berate him anonymously like the rest of us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom