I'll be the first one to admit that I haven't been a fan of Frank Howard's... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'll be the first one to admit that I haven't been a fan of Frank Howard's...

The problem is Frank was required to become an ACC starting point guard but he doesn’t have the skill set to fill that role. It’s unfortunate, he is much better suited to be a third guard. We just never recruited the guy that should have been playing in front of him.

I realize this thread has turned into a general discussion of Frank, but I think the OP is a little misguided.

What would have been the reason to bring Frank off the floor in a 2nd half blowout with fans streaming out of the building and everyone in a foul mood?

As Jay Bilas rightly pointed out, the seniors were honored BEFORE the game.

Sure, "misguided." :confused::rolleyes:

I said it was unfortunate how the 2nd half played out for a senior's last game and with him being out, even in the lopsided defeat, didn't get a final acknowledgement. Even with the mass exodus in the 2nd half, all of the starters, including all of UVA's, were still in the game at the under 4 timeout. Chukwu was taken out in the waning moments and got a final Dome acknowledgment from the crowd, which you still noticed even with the remaining Dome crowd. Imagine that, while "everyone was in a foul mood," those "foul mood" folks were still somehow able to acknowledge PC. Can't believe those rank folks were somewhat "misguided." :confused::oops:

The problem is Frank was required to become an ACC starting point guard but he doesn’t have the skill set to fill that role. It’s unfortunate, he is much better suited to be a third guard. We just never recruited the guy that should have been playing in front of him.

We recruited one, just never landed one.

Sure, "misguided." :confused::rolleyes:

I said it was unfortunate how the 2nd half played out for a senior's last game and with him being out, even in the lopsided defeat, didn't get a final acknowledgement. Even with the mass exodus in the 2nd half, all of the starters, including all of UVA's, were still in the game at the under 4 timeout. Chukwu was taken out in the waning moments and got a final Dome acknowledgment from the crowd, which you still noticed even with the remaining Dome crowd. Imagine that, while "everyone was in a foul mood," those "foul mood" folks were still somehow able to acknowledge PC. Can't believe those rank folks were somewhat "misguided." :confused::oops:

Has it occurred to you that the reaction to Frank might have been something less than positive?

Has it occurred to you that the reaction to Frank might have been something less than positive"

No, I think our fans are better than that, and would not have reacted in a negative manner if that's what you're implying. He's a college player, playing in his FINAL home game ever in the Dome. No one played well in the 2nd half. And, just as our crowd did acknowledge Chukwu in the waning moments, I do believe they would've Frank in a similar fashion.

No, I think our fans are better than that, and would not have reacted in a negative manner if that's what you're implying. He's a college player, playing in his FINAL home game ever in the Dome. No one played well in the 2nd half. And, just as our crowd did acknowledge Chukwu in the waning moments, I do believe they would've Frank in a similar fashion.

Pretty to think so.

I do think fans appreciate that Chuk gave his best effort every time out despite limited athletic ability.

Last edited:
He had a bad game. It was his last one here. A rare 4 year player. Why don’t you all get off his back.
Eh. frank has been pretty awful outside of his Jr year. I dont wish ill will but Im glad to see him go

I think we are going to find out that Frank never fully recovered from the injury but decided against redshirting, much like T-Rob.
How often do we use this excuse? I mean an ankle injury is not causing him to fumble the ball away repeatedly.

Our players are not good enough. Consistently for 4-5 years.

He had a bad game. It was his last one here. A rare 4 year player. Why don’t you all get off his back.

At the end of the day - this.

He's had a lot of bad games and is who he is.

The fact we don't have someone capable to step in an take the starting role is the bigger problem

Judging by our 2nd half adjustments it would have been absolutely inconsequential to put Frank back in. But thats just not how we roll apparently. Listening to him speak in interviews, I think the fanbase may have picked their side against Frank a bit prematurely in the ‘17 offseason. I thank him for his service being JB’s square peg in a round hole.

we were up 4 early in 2nd half and he takes a step back 3 lol. wheels fell off from that point on.

Yep, that definitely cost us the game. :confused:

Everyone is down on Frank but he didn't play a lot in the second half and we scored 19 points. Who is to blame for that? Buddy has a lot longer leash than Frank ever got. Buddy made bad passes, took bad shots and 3's were made over him (and everyone else last night) but he wasn't yanked like Frank was and would have been. JB didn't make half time adjustments and Bennett did which was the biggest difference in the game.

Everyone is down on Frank but he didn't play a lot in the second half and we scored 19 points. Who is to blame for that? Buddy has a lot longer leash than Frank ever got. Buddy made bad passes, took bad shots and 3's were made over him (and everyone else last night) but he wasn't yanked like Frank was and would have been. JB didn't make half time adjustments and Bennett did which was the biggest difference in the game.

Buddy was team high scorer (along with Chukwu) for a long stretch there, but as the game got out of hand, he struggled more than anybody. Non-factor on offense and a real defensive liability, totally unable to defend the pass or dribble penetration from his spot.

I think we are going to find out that Frank never fully recovered from the injury but decided against redshirting, much like T-Rob.

Yup, I was hoping he would get better because kids in their early 20s with dedicated S&C coaches rehab faster than most civilians.

But considering he was in a boot for at least a few weeks and prohibited from running for several weeks and then came back after the team got off to a rough start, I got the feeling that he rushed himself back before he was ready. At that point, the season had the potential to go off the rails after the two losses at MSG and Carey's struggles.

I know he said he got back to 100%, but playing and practicing typically doesn't help the healing process and I haven't seen too many Cuse players talk about playing at less than 100 percent while the season is going on.

Frank’s another scapegoat for poor recruiting strategy and execution. Marek would be too regarding the 5, but he’s immensely likeable.

I appreciate everything Frank has done for the program. I think he is disappointed, along with us, that his career here at SU did not pan out to his expectations, along with ours. At the end of the day though, you do not see many players stick with a program, so I commend him for that. There will always be a seat at the table for Frank, like it or not.
I commend Boeheim for sticking with him as long as he has. Frank can't complain about not getting enough chances, that's for sure. Just too bad that his injury or whatever is going on with him, happened his senior year.

Eh. frank has been pretty awful outside of his Jr year. I dont wish ill will but Im glad to see him go
PER is a decent measuring stick. It's designed so that 15 is about average give or take. Frank's PER's for the last four seasons: 7.8, 14.5, 13.9, 11.9

He's been an average at best D1 guard. I think if he were 6' 7-8" he would have been an excellent wing.
Everyone is down on Frank but he didn't play a lot in the second half and we scored 19 points. Who is to blame for that?
Tyus Battle. If you're going to be the lead dog, you have to perform when the going gets tight. He was 5/19. That's unacceptable. He was getting bottled up on D and struggling to find open shots. But scorers have to shoot so, the odds of him looking to set up for teammates were slim and none.

I commend Boeheim for sticking with him as long as he has. Frank can't complain about not getting enough chances, that's for sure. Just too bad that his injury or whatever is going on with him, happened his senior year.

I’d argue that Frank should be commended for sticking it out in a position he should not have been brought in for, as a result of poor recruitment execution on the staff’s part for now 4+ years.

Frank has a lot of lazy close outs on D. He clearly is also gun shy about bringing the ball up against some pressure which leads to him picking up his dribble 40 feet from the hoop. He's done well for a guy with a limited skill set, who has battled injuries and forced to play a position that he is not suited for. I have to say watching Carey as recently as WF - Goodine or Girard better be ready to ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom