I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Just finished binging season 1 and 2 of White Lotus on HBO Max.

What are people’s thoughts. Acting was meh. There were parts I thought was stupid, but for some reason, I enjoyed it?

I finished Oz the other day. I was really surprised that I had never heard of it before. I loved it. I can see why people wouldn't watch past the first episode but I enjoyed it as much as anything I watched for the first time this year outside of Better Call Saul.

Complex characters and a subject that I find interesting. Was cool seeing a cast of people I know from more popular, more recent shows.
This blew my mind, and also made me realize how the show’s “stature” has slipped over time for some reason. It was like the first show in this realm - the hour long TV drama that would draw a Rated R or worse rating if it was a movie.

Oz is a grimy, depraved HBO series that features some serious violence and death.

It is also one of my favorite shows of all time.

The first season is a little slow but it gets really good in each of the following seasons. The last season probably goes too far but it’s a great show with a really stacked cast.
I don’t love extreme violence in my shows or movies but it served an actual purpose in Oz so it never turned me off to the show.

It was awesome but definitely a show that needs to be selectively recommended given it’s intensity.

I liked Glass Onion and Knives Out. Didn’t love them. The ‘twists’ overall aren’t as good as they’re portrayed to be, imo, but they’re fun movies. And that’s what they’re meant to be, fun. They’re not really meant to be mind bending mysteries.

I watched both in theaters and gave Knives Out a rewatch at home. Will probably rewatch Glass Onion at some point.

I’m about halfway through season 2 of White Lotus. Not sure what to make of the show as a whole. It’s almost like Seinfeld, in that it’s a show about nothing. It’s billed as a social satire, but I’m not really sure how accurate that is. The rich people in it are rich, but there isn’t much that’s outlandish or satirical about their behavior. It’s not a straight drama but also doesn’t garner enough laughs to call it comedy.

But it’s interesting! Idk how but I keep watching. The only characters I haven’t liked so far were the teenage girls in season 1. I don’t mean that as in they’re meant to be unlikable and I disliked them for that. It’s that the writing for them felt a little out of touch. Felt like a 50 year old was writing what they think a teenager is.

What are people’s thoughts. Acting was meh. There were parts I thought was stupid, but for some reason, I enjoyed it?
I only tried to watch it because of the hype and because I had pitched something to Mike White. I didn’t like it. At all.

I tried on two occasions but the second time I gave up was when Mike just seemed so desperate to push some bizarre gay stuff into the storyline. It just felt so weird and dumb…. But, based on my friend’s interactions with him, maybe I shouldn’t have been surprised.

I still don’t understand the appeal of the show, though. I like Steve Zahn, but this was the most ‘blah’ of his characters. I have liked Coolidge, but not here. The two teen girls were beyond insufferable.… I don’t want to go on.

Maybe someone will tell me it becomes worth it after the 4th episode or somesuch, but I kinda doubt it’s for me.

It might be my favorite show of the last few years.

I only tried to watch it because of the hype and because I had pitched something to Mike White. I didn’t like it. At all.

I tried on two occasions but the second time I gave up was when Mike just seemed so desperate to push some bizarre gay stuff into the storyline. It just felt so weird and dumb…. But, based on my friend’s interactions with him, maybe I shouldn’t have been surprised.

I still don’t understand the appeal of the show, though. I like Steve Zahn, but this was the most ‘blah’ of his characters. I have liked Coolidge, but not here. The two teen girls were beyond insufferable.… I don’t want to go on.

Maybe someone will tell me it becomes worth it after the 4th episode or somesuch, but I kinda doubt it’s for me.
I found season 2 to be much better than season 1. Maybe try that season instead. There’s very little continuity from the first season and an almost entirely different cast. Definitely one of my favorite new shows.

I found season 2 to be much better than season 1. Maybe try that season instead. There’s very little continuity from the first season and an almost entirely different cast. Definitely one of my favorite new shows.
I preferred season two as well.

Last season of Snowfall starting in February…..I think a few on here were watching this before. Anyone else still in?

The show never quite lived up to what I hoped it would be, and it jumped the shark(or…tiger?) a few times, but….last season’s finale was great. It always manages to keep me entertained enough to stick with it, so I’m all in until the end.

The first 5 minutes of Glass Onion was so painfully unfunny that it almost ruined the entire movie.

That aside, I liked it. Haven’t seen Knives Out but it is now on my list.

Don’t like Kate Hudson. Wife really doesn’t like her. Didn’t like what happened at the end. Don't want to give too much away

I really liked the first one, but thought this one was garbage. :(

I was really looking forward to it as well.
Daniel Craig ripping apart Miles Bron (Norton) at the end sort of captured my feelings of the film itself.

My wife and I recently started Handmaids Tale. Need to go back 50 pages of this thread to see if this has been discussed. Ha

We watched Glass Onion tonight. We were entertained. Enjoyed it.

But... there's a throwaway line when Blanc is with Miles that I can't shake. Have people made contact with aliens in the Knives Out universe? Did anyone else catch that?

Just watched Glass Onion.

I began not liking it. Too much ‘self-aware’ stuff about social media/culture, but not done cleverly.

Then one of the characters changed my attitude. The film became much more fun and entertaining. And I guess I had gotten used to the obnoxious stuff. I was all set to recommend it to my mother….

Then it concluded by being absolutely stupid and ridiculous.

1) Not sure I understand the detective’s instruction to take the ‘courage.’ Why would he want that result? 2) We have seen in the past few months a slew of protesters of various causes throwing paint on masterpiece artworks in museums. And every time, I think WTFF? I now hate you and your cause. Art is magnificent. It’s ’love.’ It should be eternal… etc., etc.—whatever. Point is, they’ve demonized themselves by defacing something that should be untouchable. So, in this film, the supposed hero/victim does the unspeakable? Ugggh. And provoked/inspired by the man who is supposed to be the smartest man in the room/world? No. Does not compute. 3) To compound the stupidity… all that glass, and all those sandals? Does not compute.

Just watched Glass Onion.

I began not liking it. Too much ‘self-aware’ stuff about social media/culture, but not done cleverly.

Then one of the characters changed my attitude. The film became much more fun and entertaining. And I guess I had gotten used to the obnoxious stuff. I was all set to recommend it to my mother….

Then it concluded by being absolutely stupid and ridiculous.

1) Not sure I understand the detective’s instruction to take the ‘courage.’ Why would he want that result? 2) We have seen in the past few months a slew of protesters of various causes throwing paint on masterpiece artworks in museums. And every time, I think WTFF? I now hate you and your cause. Art is magnificent. It’s ’love.’ It should be eternal… etc., etc.—whatever. Point is, they’ve demonized themselves by defacing something that should be untouchable. So, in this film, the supposed hero/victim does the unspeakable? Ugggh. And provoked/inspired by the man who is supposed to be the smartest man in the room/world? No. Does not compute. 3) To compound the stupidity… all that glass, and all those sandals? Does not compute.
It’s because Rian Johnson is a hack and worse.

Last edited:
Really didn't like any character at all outside of Daniel Craig. And the Kate Hudson/Batista characters are extra terrible. This after enjoying the 1st one a good bit.
You’re not supposed to like most of the characters.

I’m about halfway through season 2 of White Lotus. Not sure what to make of the show as a whole. It’s almost like Seinfeld, in that it’s a show about nothing. It’s billed as a social satire, but I’m not really sure how accurate that is. The rich people in it are rich, but there isn’t much that’s outlandish or satirical about their behavior. It’s not a straight drama but also doesn’t garner enough laughs to call it comedy.

But it’s interesting! Idk how but I keep watching. The only characters I haven’t liked so far were the teenage girls in season 1. I don’t mean that as in they’re meant to be unlikable and I disliked them for that. It’s that the writing for them felt a little out of touch. Felt like a 50 year old was writing what they think a teenager is.
Mike White’s exact age when he wrote the first season.

We watched Glass Onion tonight. We were entertained. Enjoyed it.

But... there's a throwaway line when Blanc is with Miles that I can't shake. Have people made contact with aliens in the Knives Out universe? Did anyone else catch that?
What was the line?