I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Tulsa King

The old man-ification of TV is here

“Individually, each of these shows evinces a markedly different tone and style — mob dramedy, spy thriller, western — but together, they form variations on a theme. All deliver a nostalgic machismo across rugged landscapes, testosterone-fueled genres in gritty environments, with themes of the American West. They’re part of a striking television trend ushered in by the massive success of Taylor Sheridan’s brutal Yellowstone, and they have one more thing in common with that show, which stars Kevin Costner. They’re headed up by the biggest silver-screen stars of the 1970s, ’80s, ’90s, and, thanks to our baby boomer-infused culture, arguably today.”

The old man-ification of TV is here

“Individually, each of these shows evinces a markedly different tone and style — mob dramedy, spy thriller, western — but together, they form variations on a theme. All deliver a nostalgic machismo across rugged landscapes, testosterone-fueled genres in gritty environments, with themes of the American West. They’re part of a striking television trend ushered in by the massive success of Taylor Sheridan’s brutal Yellowstone, and they have one more thing in common with that show, which stars Kevin Costner. They’re headed up by the biggest silver-screen stars of the 1970s, ’80s, ’90s, and, thanks to our baby boomer-infused culture, arguably today.”
Obviously those shows weren’t written for _____

It’s entertaining. And actually it has a very diverse set of characters that the white boomer male treats with respect and as family.

Last edited:
Only read the book. Worth the watch I take it?

Just finished it. It was ok. I found it hard to sit through more than 1 episode at a time. 1 hour felt like 3. Draining.

On to Chippendales.

Yeah, when it was done I was ready for a lot more episodes.

I watched it and mostly enjoyed it, but thought it was actually too long. Jesse Eisenberg can be kind of a tough hang, particularly when he has this kind of role.

Just finished Kaleidoscope on Netflix. Heist story with a weird presentation format: no episode numbers. Episodes are provided in a random sequence by Netflix for viewing in any order. Each episode covers a significant event anywhere from years before the actual heist to 6 months after.

Any Apple TV+ watchers tried Servant yet? It's a Philly-based M. Night Shyamalan show. Starts out dark, but goes on a wild ride, and not without humor. Stars Lauren Ambrose (she was the younger sister on Six Feet Under). And Rupert Grint, who was in all those Harry Potter movies, plays a very different character.

It took a lot longer than expected but I finished Andor yesterday.
I think it is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen.
Such incredible storytelling and dialog, especially episode 10.
I'm wrapping this up and agree. I'm not a star wars enthusiast but have watched all the movies and recent offshoots. This was the best plot and best overall

I'm wrapping this up and agree. I'm not a star wars enthusiast but have watched all the movies and recent offshoots. This was the best plot and best overall
I’m still not finished with it, but yeah—so good. Fantastic writing, especially the dialog.

Jumping into the Yellowstone world, and on CuseRegular's recommendation we started with 1883. 2 episodes in, I think we've made a good decision

Any Apple TV+ watchers tried Servant yet? It's a Philly-based M. Night Shyamalan show. Starts out dark, but goes on a wild ride, and not without humor. Stars Lauren Ambrose (she was the younger sister on Six Feet Under). And Rupert Grint, who was in all those Harry Potter movies, plays a very different character.
watched Servant season one. dark. not yet tried 2 but am halfway thru BAD SISTERS. dark and funny.

Last edited:
Jumping into the Yellowstone world, and on CuseRegular's recommendation we started with 1883. 2 episodes in, I think we've made a good decision
Tried to resume Yellowstone, but I guess I watched so long ago that it didn’t even save. I dont remember where I left off. Might restart.

3 episodes into Mayor of Kingstown. Pretty hardcore. Not for the queasy.

I finished Alice in Borderland. Loved it. Profoundly impacted me. Closest thing to Lost I've ever found.

South Side is really, gd funny.
There are three seasons on HBO Max.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned here before but I’ll bump it because season 4 comes out tomorrow, You is a great series on Netflix.