I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 82 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

The Bear season 2.

Episode 6 - “Fishes” - that was a brilliant slow burn of impending dread. Incredible A list guest stars for the one episode with Jamie Lee Curtis, Bob Odenkirk, John Mulaney, Sarah Paulson.
I still have PTSD from that episode.

The Bear season 2.

Episode 6 - “Fishes” - that was a brilliant slow burn of impending dread. Incredible A list guest stars for the one episode with Jamie Lee Curtis, Bob Odenkirk, John Mulaney, Sarah Paulson.

I actually liked Episode 7 more. Episode 6 though - sheesh -- the dysfunction. It was like rubbernecking at a pile up. Absolutely captivating.

I know people have gone on and on about how amazing episode 3 was of this season of Succession and, while i thought it was extremely well acted and well written, it didnt move me at all and my interest really waned. I had no attachment to any of those wretched characters and couldnt care less about their emotions, , etc. It became overwrought to me. Episode 6 of the Bear was the opposite though. I cared about what all those characters were thinking and feeling the entire time.

Just finished the Recruit. If this was real life I could see the CIA would have problems keeping people on staff.. But it was fun.

I actually liked Episode 7 more. Episode 6 though - sheesh -- the dysfunction. It was like rubbernecking at a pile up. Absolutely captivating.

I know people have gone on and on about how amazing episode 3 was of this season of Succession and, while i thought it was extremely well acted and well written, it didnt move me at all and my interest really waned. I had no attachment to any of those wretched characters and couldnt care less about their emotions, , etc. It became overwrought to me. Episode 6 of the Bear was the opposite though. I cared about what all those characters were thinking and feeling the entire time.

I agree. I loved Succession and felt it just got better and better, but I hated everyone on that show. I felt like a frog in boiling water. It was a brilliant episode of television. Everything was so subtle...until it wasn't, and it felt real.

The Bear season 2.

Episode 6 - “Fishes” - that was a brilliant slow burn of impending dread.
Please consider hiding the list of cameos in spoiler tags.

Last edited:

That’s why I never got into Succession in the first place. I’m not interested in following a bunch of jerks.

I get enough of that here. ;)

That’s why I never got into Succession in the first place. I’m not interested in following a bunch of jerks.

What Succession does well, like other great shows with extremely flawed characters (e.g., The Sopranos, Mad Men), is character development. These people constantly let us down, but we understand why they are this way. We still have moments where we connect and relate even if they are also despicable. This is a big reason why The Godfather is great.

I think I almost stopped watching Succession in season one, because, yeah, you are almost supposed to dislike every character. Somehow, though, that became more than tolerable, it became enjoyable and I completely forgot about that distaste. It‘s a good show—not great, as there are a couple of dud episodes, but it’s sort of an ‘important’ show.

And that theme song….

Please consider hiding the list of cameos in spoiler tags.

I took them out completely! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I wasn't even thinking spoilers, but that is definitely part of the fun.

Rick Bayless (Frontera Grill and Topolobampo) in Chicago claims The Bear sets back the restaurant industry by a decade. Imagine if he came from a family known for H0T Takes!

What Succession does well, like other great shows with extremely flawed characters (e.g., The Sopranos, Mad Men), is character development. These people constantly let us down, but we understand why they are this way. We still have moments where we connect and relate even if they are also despicable. This is a big reason why The Godfather is great.
I still feel there’s a difference. The characters in The Sopranos and The Godfather are likable. Wasn’t getting that vibe from Succession or Mad Men (or Yellowstone).

Rick Bayless (Frontera Grill and Topolobampo) in Chicago claims The Bear sets back the restaurant industry by a decade. Imagine if he came from a family known for H0T Takes!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no idea how he can reach that conclusion? I see depictions of creation of chosen families that are ride or die. In Forks you saw how the people who work at the 3* type restaurants truly love making a positive experience for their guests. I feel like this is a realistic love letter to the food industry.

I have no idea how he can reach that conclusion? I see depictions of creation of chosen families that are ride or die. In Forks you saw how the people who work at the 3* type restaurants truly love making a positive experience for their guests. I feel like this is a realistic love letter to the food industry.
I think his commentary was it demonstrates really difficult work environments for chefs and staff, and the industry as whole has made concerted efforts over the past few decades to make sure it's a lot better.

I still feel there’s a difference. The characters in The Sopranos and The Godfather are likable. Wasn’t getting that vibe from Succession or Mad Men (or Yellowstone).
Mad Men had a few likable characters. Peggy was the one that kept me engaged. I liked a few others, too, and even the ones who were closer to 'despicable' (Roger) were fun in that regard. Ironically, i never really liked Don Draper. Which sometimes made it a chore to watch and finish that show.

The Sopranos was brilliant in how the characters sometimes bordered on 'cartoonish'—a caricaturization of the mafia and 'guido-ism' so that when they did their horrendous deeds, it somehow didn't make you hate them. It was like watching things play out from 20,000 feet up sometimes. Same with The Wire. Marlow, for example—hatable person, but i marveled at how well Jamie played that character and made him so imposing.

Succession... I'm so glad there was a Cousin Greg. He was the first character i liked. And then his every interaction made that interaction fun, no matter who the counterpart. His stuff with McFayden was often gold. Sometimes, it was worth watching an entire episode just to get to Greg. It helps, also, if you could admire the environments rather than resenting them. And maybe to find something in the dialog and language to amuse or interest you. The stuff between Shiv and Tom was wicked and perverse. Ever see the movie Closer? There was so much hard, targeted, wicked dialog in that film—like a competition to see who could injure who the most with words. There's something in Succession that feels similar. It's probably more of a British thing than an American one. They're particularly good at it...

Mad Men had a few likable characters. Peggy was the one that kept me engaged. I liked a few others, too, and even the ones who were closer to 'despicable' (Roger) were fun in that regard. Ironically, i never really liked Don Draper. Which sometimes made it a chore to watch and finish that show.

The Sopranos was brilliant in how the characters sometimes bordered on 'cartoonish'—a caricaturization of the mafia and 'guido-ism' so that when they did their horrendous deeds, it somehow didn't make you hate them. It was like watching things play out from 20,000 feet up sometimes. Same with The Wire. Marlow, for example—hatable person, but i marveled at how well Jamie played that character and made him so imposing.

Succession... I'm so glad there was a Cousin Greg. He was the first character i liked. And then his every interaction made that interaction fun, no matter who the counterpart. His stuff with McFayden was often gold. Sometimes, it was worth watching an entire episode just to get to Greg. It helps, also, if you could admire the environments rather than resenting them. And maybe to find something in the dialog and language to amuse or interest you. The stuff between Shiv and Tom was wicked and perverse. Ever see the movie Closer? There was so much hard, targeted, wicked dialog in that film—like a competition to see who could injure who the most with words. There's something in Succession that feels similar. It's probably more of a British thing than an American one. They're particularly good at it...

Mad Men and Sopranos are my two favorite shows. Sopranos is a constant week night after work rewatch. Mad Men is for weekend hangover mornings in bed. But Don is the least interesting character. Roger, Pete, Joan and Peggy were so much more interesting and their relationships with each other were my favorite aspects of the show.

As I get older I appreciate how horrible all the Sopranos characters were. I actively root against them. Even Vito I was glad he died the way he did because he was such a bad human. Now I also appreciate the humor. It’s such a funny show.

I’m watching episode 6 of season 1 of Succession. I have a question, when does it get good?

I'm done with Shrinking and still have more than a month of free Apple TV. The Morning Show pretty good? Or any other shows you'd suggest I watch? I've already seen all of Ted Lasso.

I'm done with Shrinking and still have more than a month of free Apple TV. The Morning Show pretty good? Or any other shows you'd suggest I watch? I've already seen all of Ted Lasso.
I enjoyed Morning Show.

Blackbird was pretty good, as is Tehran
Thanks! Blackbird looks really good. I'm big on "based on a true story' stuff. Not quite as sure about Tehran but seems like something I could get into if I give it a try.

Hmmm….I hated pretty much everybody in The Sopranos, lol.

Mad Men. I liked Joan and Peggy.