I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 81 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Check out "Small Light " on Hulu. It's the story of the Franks but more so the story of Miep and her life. So well done. Some story telling to for production but overall shows the side of that saga that most people don't focus in on as much. Given today's world it will draw out the emotions watching it- but that's a good thing.

100 Foot Wave was absolutely awesome this season. Season 1 was good as well, but it jumped up a notch this spring. Enthralling.

Started watching Somebody, Somewhere this week and plowed through season 1. Really like it.

I watched the first episode of King of Collectibles on Netflix last night. Interesting show. A little bit like Million Dollar Listing but with collectibles. Heavy on sports collectibles but some other stuff too. Ken Goldin’s daughter just graduated from SU. Would be nice if he could make a big gift to athletics (maybe he did, who knows).

I found "The Outer Limits" season 2 on Prime. Timeless sci-fi stories even if the production is dated. 19 episodes of mostly enjoyment later, I would highly recommend if only to see some unexpected guest actors.

Last edited:
FUBAR is ridiculous.

Can anyone comment on:
Fatal Attraction
Platonic
Class of '09
Fubar is dumb. I don't know why i keep coming back to it. I guess i'm frustrated by the lack of anything else worthwhile to watch.

Platonic... I had high hopes for it. I love, love, love Rosebyrne. But, this is also a sorta dumb show. Not 'stupid,' just kinda meaningless. It gets better than Episode 1, but not by a lot and maybe it's just the numbing of my disappointment talking.

Class of '09—Uggh. Another thing i hoped/expected would be good, but it time-hops, and it isn't compelling enough for me to pay that close of attention, so i lost/missed some bits and so it just became uninvolving and tedious. Not sure if i will go back to it. It's not awful or bad, it's just not good.

Another show i finished was The Last Thing He Told Me with Jennifer Garner. A show without enough of a payoff. I'm kinda surprised it's on AppleTV. Not up to standards.

Might as well run down the rest of my recents list:

Ted Lasso—sweet, but downhill from Season 1.

Silo—Not interesting enough. Might go back to finish it.

The White House Plumbers—i kinda liked this. And it filled in a lot of information i never knew or forgot. I remember being a very small child when the Watergate hearings were on tv. I didn't know all the backstory about how much the CIA was doing, and which 'side' they were on, and all the innuendo about the JFK assassination, etc. Watching this series inspired me to go re-watch the JFK film and to look up some other peripheral matters.

The Mandalorian—I wish it were more on the level of Andor. It just gets childish in spurts.

Desert Heat—I like Patricia Arquette. Thought this would be a fun, smart romp, but it's kinda boring somehow. I just don't care.

Barry—Loved the first two seasons. Didn't love the final season. Still worth a watch, but it's like they got a ton of praise for that one episode in season 2, and felt they could 'go more arty' or somesuch, and it lost something in the loftier aspirations?

The Big Door Prize—wanted to like it. Just don't care.

Succession—Liked it a lot, but was a bit disappointed by the ending. Could have gone another season.

The Crowded Room—I like Amanda. I'm pretty far into this and i still don't quite get the point. Seems to be more about exploration of characters and histories and motivations than about the inciting incident/crime, which is somehow only an 'attempted' crime? Hoping it pays off, but right now... i'm caring less and less.

The Mosquito Coast—i gave up on this in season two, when the kid rushed up on some armed poachers. Too much dumb stuff.

Cunk on Earth—fun.

Hello Tomorrow—not interesting enough for me to care. But, it's a bit concept, and i may need to revisit it to find out why it was worth the network's expense and commitment.

Shrinking—good cast. Another thing that annoys more than interests. I just don't care.

That's the consistent theme for me in recent years. I just don't care. I'll start watching a series and if after three or so episodes, if i don't care how it ends or if i see it through to the end, i just stop. I'd rather re-re-re-watch a series i know i loved than to invest time in something that doesn't work for me. I recently re-watched Seasons 2 and 3 of Fargo, for example.

Oh—the first episode of the new season of Black Mirror was fun. I had only seen two or three episodes of previous seasons so I guess I’ll be going back to start from the beginning. I just don’t love anthology-type stuff. But there is some strong writing and interesting conceptual stuff to compensate.

Anyone watching The Righteous Gemstones? I liked the first two seasons but episode 1 of s3 kinda sucked out loud. Like it‘s a caricature of itself, just leaning on old ideas, but with shoddy execution. Probably misses Uncle Baby Billy, too. Goggins was awesome.

Last edited:
Ted Lasso finale was nice ending to a feel good show.
Thought the third season was fantastic. Might be my favorite.

Im seriously going to miss this show. Wish Hollywood would figure out positivity sells and is in extremely short supply.

Fubar is dumb. I don't know why i keep coming back to it. I guess i'm frustrated by the lack of anything else worthwhile to watch.

Platonic... I had high hopes for it. I love, love, love Rosebyrne. But, this is also a sorta dumb show. Not 'stupid,' just kinda meaningless. It gets better than Episode 1, but not by a lot and maybe it's just the numbing of my disappointment talking.

Class of '09—Uggh. Another thing i hoped/expected would be good, but it time-hops, and it isn't compelling enough for me to pay that close of attention, so i lost/missed some bits and so it just became uninvolving and tedious. Not sure if i will go back to it. It's not awful or bad, it's just not good.

Another show i finished was The Last Thing He Told Me with Jennifer Garner. A show without enough of a payoff. I'm kinda surprised it's on AppleTV. Not up to standards.

Might as well run down the rest of my recents list:

Ted Lasso—sweet, but downhill from Season 1.

Silo—Not interesting enough. Might go back to finish it.

The White House Plumbers—i kinda liked this. And it filled in a lot of information i never knew or forgot. I remember being a very small child when the Watergate hearings were on tv. I didn't know all the backstory about how much the CIA was doing, and which 'side' they were on, and all the innuendo about the JFK assassination, etc. Watching this series inspired me to go re-watch the JFK film and to look up some other peripheral matters.

The Mandalorian—I wish it were more on the level of Andor. It just gets childish in spurts.

Desert Heat—I like Patricia Arquette. Thought this would be a fun, smart romp, but it's kinda boring somehow. I just don't care.

Barry—Loved the first two seasons. Didn't love the final season. Still worth a watch, but it's like they got a ton of praise for that one episode in season 2, and felt they could 'go more arty' or somesuch, and it lost something in the loftier aspirations?

The Big Door Prize—wanted to like it. Just don't care.

Succession—Liked it a lot, but was a bit disappointed by the ending. Could have gone another season.

The Crowded Room—I like Amanda. I'm pretty far into this and i still don't quite get the point. Seems to be more about exploration of characters and histories and motivations than about the inciting incident/crime, which is somehow only an 'attempted' crime? Hoping it pays off, but right now... i'm caring less and less.

The Mosquito Coast—i gave up on this in season two, when the kid rushed up on some armed poachers. Too much dumb stuff.

Cunk on Earth—fun.

Hello Tomorrow—not interesting enough for me to care. But, it's a bit concept, and i may need to revisit it to find out why it was worth the network's expense and commitment.

Shrinking—good cast. Another thing that annoys more than interests. I just don't care.

That's the consistent theme for me in recent years. I just don't care. I'll start watching a series and if after three or so episodes, if i don't care how it ends or if i see it through to the end, i just stop. I'd rather re-re-re-watch a series i know i loved than to invest time in something that doesn't work for me. I recently re-watched Seasons 2 and 3 of Fargo, for example.

Oh—the first episode of the new season of Black Mirror was fun. I had only seen two or three episodes of previous seasons so I guess I’ll be going back to start from the beginning. I just don’t love anthology-type stuff. But there is some strong writing and interesting conceptual stuff to compensate.

Anyone watching The Righteous Gemstones? I liked the first two seasons but episode 1 of s3 kinda sucked out loud. Like it‘s a caricature of itself, just leaning on old ideas, but with shoddy execution. Probably misses Uncle Baby Billy, too. Goggins was awesome.
Knocked out the Joan is Awful episode last night as well. Loved it. Think I've seen every episode they've ever made. Enjoy that you can just watch any episode at any point with no worry about order and watch whatever seems interesting at that time. Almost every episode is very good with numerous moving into great territory.

I also have nothing on right now that I care about outside of Black Mirror. Gemstones gives some laughs and I'll stick with it like anything McBride. Mostly have been just waiting on The Bear to come back which is tonight.

^ Loved the new season of Black Mirror. Just finished up with Demon 79. Outstanding with a killer soundtrack to boot.

just started 1883 (on netflix dvd). only 1 episode in. cast looks promising. seems like a lot of money spent on sets and stars. but so far the writing is horrible. elsa duttons voice over musings make me want to put an arrow in her chest. but like a wagon train i'll venture further into the season and hope for the best...

Shrinking is pretty funny if you like dark humor. Jason Segal is great in it and of course you have the grumpy OG Harrison Ford.
I've gotten through the first 4 episodes of Shrinking and have really enjoyed it so far.

Some recents:
Ted Lasso - I don't know how they could've topped Season 1 but the rest was still excellent and I thought they did a great job wrapping it up.
Shrinking - I really like Jason Segel and loved Scrubs (another Bill Lawrence creation), so this was an easy sell for me. Enjoyed how they mixed up the ensemble cast from episode to episode and the daughter's performance gave off serious Julia Stiles in "10 Things I Hate About You" vibes.
Jury Duty - I hate prank shows, so what made this one work for me was that the normie wasn't the butt of all the jokes the way it is in other prank shows. I'm really interested in seeing how many of the actors see their careers take off.

Need to get into Barry and Righteous Gemstones.

father's day made a bad bet and rented ABOUT MY FATHER at studio price without reading any reviews. that movie blows. even robert deniro and the lovely leslie bibb can't rescue this turd . please save your money. you can buy VACATION for 4.99.

Gemstones: so glad Uncle Baby Billy is back.

Alien Invasion: I'm not a Marvel person, so i don't think i'm going to love, love this, but i appreciate that it's got a serious tone. I was even surprised to hear a "g-damn" on a Disney network.