I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Anyone recommend Homeland? I have been thinking about this show and not sure if it's worth getting into.
I recently binge watched all 8 seasons in 8 days. Unfortunately, Showtime stopped the free trial just before the final episode. Would definitely recommend seasons 1-3.

Is better call saul season 5 on Amazon prime or do you Have to purchase it still?

Having just binge-watched Breaking Bad, my wife and I have decided to watch, no not Better Call Saul, but one of the first series to utilize story arcs--Wiseguy. On Amazon Prime, and featuring Jonathan Banks, who played Mike on BB. We think he's Da Bomb.

We've now watched two story arcs on Wiseguy. The first features Ray Starkey as a gangster who needs a friend. The finale of the arc is especially cool. The second features a deliriously over-the top Kevin Spacey as Mel Profitt--one of the most powerful criminals in the world who has major psychological and emotional issues. The show is about an undercover agent (Ken Wahl, actually, his hair is the star), who infiltrates criminal enterprises. His handler is Frank McPike, played by Jonathan Banks, who played Mike on Breaking Bad. His deadpan delivery is always on target. The McPike character has some similarities to Mike, and I have to think that he was cast as Mike at least in part due to his character on Wiseguy.

Both of these arcs are well worth watching. The '80's hair alone is worth a thumbs-up.

BTW, I think that there was more than a little bit of Spacey's messed-up real-life personality in his character. You can't stop watching him even though there's a train wreck a'comin'.

I've got a good one for you. We just finished watching an 8-episode show on Netflix. Giri/Haji, which means duty/shame in Japanese. It's a crime thriller that takes place both in Japan and London, and focuses on two brothers, one a policeman and one a Yakuza enforcer. At first, the pieces may seem like they don't fit together, but you'll get in stride soon enough.

While there's a lot of bloodshed and suspense, what I loved about the show was an amazing supporting cast who, combined, create a wonderful shaggy dog makeshift family. There are at least three scenes, none of which include the violence, that will stick with you long after the shootouts have faded from memory.

The portayals by Will Sharpe, Aoi Okuyama (her screen debut!), and Kelly Macdonald are, IMO, award-worthy.

It's only an eight-hour investment. Give it a try.

Last edited:
I've got a good one for you. We just finished watching an 8-episode show on Netflix. Giri/Haji, which means duty/shame in Japanese. It's a crime thriller that takes place both in Japan and London, and focuses on two brothers, one a policeman and one a Yakuza enforcer. At first, the pieces may seem like they don't fit together, but you'll get in stride soon enough.

While there's a lot of bloodshed and suspense, what I loved about the show was an amazing supporting cast who, combined, create a wonderful shaggy dog makeshift family. There are at least three scenes, none of which include the violence, that will stick with you long after the shootouts have faded from memory.

The portayals by Will Sharpe, Aoi Okuyama (her screen debut!), and Kelly Macdonald are, IMO, award-worthy.

It's only an eight-hour investment. Give it a try.
You said “Kelly Macdonald.” Now I have no choice but to watch.

Just finished rewatching the sopranos for the 3rd time and ozark it's good not as great as people are making it out. I am really enjoying Chernobyl.

Anyone recommend Homeland? I have been thinking about this show and not sure if it's worth getting into.

Season 1 was one of the better seasons of TV IMO. Definitely watch that. I’ve watched through season 6, at this point. There was a time around season 3-4 where I was fading on the show. Season 6 was really good IMO.

I started The Wire during the beginning of Quarantine. I am now on season four. I really, really like it.

Season 1 -got me hooked. The episode where the officer is shot really got me. Loved how Rawls knew right away with the signs.

Season 2 - I wasn’t a fan. Didn’t like the new characters. Found it easy to get distracted on my phone.

Season 3 - Sucked me right back in! Loved everything about it.

Season 4 - love the new story line. Really interested to see how Marlos crew shapes up.

I started The Wire during the beginning of Quarantine. I am now on season four. I really, really like it.

Season 1 -got me hooked. The episode where the officer is shot really got me. Loved how Rawls knew right away with the signs.

Season 2 - I wasn’t a fan. Didn’t like the new characters. Found it easy to get distracted on my phone.

Season 3 - Sucked me right back in! Loved everything about it.

Season 4 - love the new story line. Really interested to see how Marlos crew shapes up.

I was the same way the first time through. On repeat watchings, I liked season 2 a lot better.

If I had to pick a favorite, I lean towards season 4.

Anyone try Space Force yet?
I expressed the unpopular opinion upon seeing the trailer that it looked like it was going to suck out loud.

Now that I’ve seen an episode and a half, it seems I was giving it too much credit.

Amazing, that so many good people can collaborate on something with such an awful result.

Anyone try Space Force yet?
I expressed the unpopular opinion upon seeing the trailer that it looked like it was going to suck out loud.

Now that I’ve seen an episode and a half, it seems I was giving it too much credit.

Amazing, that so many good people can collaborate on something with such an awful result.
Yeah, we made it through 2 episodes. Moved on.

For something completely different, I highly recommend the movie The Vast of Night that dropped on Amazon Prime this weekend.

Yeah, we made it through 2 episodes. Moved on.

For something completely different, I highly recommend the movie The Vast of Night that dropped on Amazon Prime this weekend.
Just added it. I’ll try it tonight. Thanks.

I was the same way the first time through. On repeat watchings, I liked season 2 a lot better.

If I had to pick a favorite, I lean towards season 4.

Yeah, 2 was a snooze the first time through. It's gotten better over time, though I still think it suffers from the lack of likable characters on the docks. Ziggy is insufferable, but none of the other guys is really someone I'd root for.

4 is probably the best, but I can't say I like it the best...the subject material is just tough to deal with.

It's a really well made movie. I loved everything about it. Fantastic and effective storytelling.
I didn't watch it yet, but just came upon two articles about it that might interest you: