I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Have to watch it really loud.

One we watch has some Welsh accents, nearly impossible to follow. And the episodes are basically movies. Like an hour and a half minimum. Hinterland. I like it, but the wife falls asleep halfway through every time.

It was a good series but man, the mud & muck, the incessant drizzle & fog, rocks and rocks, wrecks and rust...

It was a good series but man, the mud & muck, the incessant drizzle & fog, rocks and rocks, wrecks and rust...
I know, right? Makes Vermont look downright glamorous!

We started our annual Twilight Zone marathon early. We used to watch it on SyFy, but Hulu has no commercials. We watch all five seasons in order.

Just got HBO Max.
Enjoying The Righteous Gemstones, but i'm a major Danny McBride fan.

Watched Joker over the weekend. First time. Didn't love it. Great performance by Phoenix, and it all looked beautiful, but... eh.

Really enjoying The Crown. 'The Princess Diana years.' Even though i've always 'hated' the whole 'royals obsession.' I love The Crown, though. It's beautiful. The language is stunning. The micro storylines are interesting, even from the perspective of someone who was never interested in the historical precedents. And this season has actually made me care enough to watch the (netflix) show Princess Di In Her Own Words. I didn't realize how close the portrayal on The Crown is—i had a very different recollection of Diana. Anyhooo—"royalty" is ironically both incredibly elegant and sophisticated and also totally primitive. An interesting dichotomy, from the inside vs outside perspectives.

The Mandalorian, season 2... "The child" is adorable. Does Pascal actually do all those scenes? Seems like a waste. They should use a cheap stuntman and just dub the voice. There are some ups and downs in this season (like the last, i guess). The Carl Weathers-directed episode had some silliness, but then some of the best action sequences of this series or the films.

I binged that Richard Jewel series on Netflix—Mindhunt/Deadly Games. That was okay. Not sure how much of that was true, though. That secondary storyline seemed a bit farfetched/exaggerated. Like a Homeland version.

I tried Hillbilly Elegy. Didn't make it through. It shifted to a character i wasn't expecting to be a focal point, and i just lost interest in even making the effort to be interested in the rest of it.

Re-binged Twin Peaks—the original two seasons. I absolutely loved that show back when it was new in 1990(?), and i have the BluRays, somewhere. But, i haven't seen it in quite a while. I didn't expect it to have aged well, but i loved it all over again. And, good lord, Madchen Amick and Sherilyn Fenn were stunning.

I started Prom. I got up to the first song and nearly vomited. I like opera, but can't deal with musicals. I tried watching West Side Story, and made it through the first half, just because of the beauty of the cinematagraphy/colors, and the look at old New York, and the kitsch factor, but then the songs... Can not do.

Ratched. Looks good. But, i just didn't care. I watched 3 episodes and may go back, but... probably not.

Eurovision sucked. Not funny.

Fargo — current season. I like the series, in general, with season 2 as my highlight. This season was... okay. Well made. But, just not in the same character as the others. It tackles a foundation topic that i just didn't want to see, and it made it all 'heavier' in a much more real way. Also, Chris Rock is just Chris Rock. Many other 'famous actors' can be famous and still sorta disappear into a role, but i just saw Chris Rock. Not his fault. He acted well enough. I also love Jason Schwartzman, but didn't care for his character, either. The best part was Jessie Buckley. I completely didn't realize she is the same actress from I'm Thinking of Ending Things, which i had seen only a couple of weeks before. She's fascinating. Fun.

Ava with Jessica Chastain was okay, for a female-driven action flick. I definitely preferred Charlize Theron's The Old Guard, though.

Away was okay.

Rolling Stones / Ole Ole Ole was nice.

Really enjoyed I'm Sorry over the summer. It's very loudtalky, but a lot of fun.

Hmm. If you have Amazon Prime, I always recommend Orphan Black as something worth checking out that's pretty gritty.
Oh, yeah—i forgot to note that. I watched two and a half seasons of that over the summer. Tatiana Maslany is a lot of fun. It's amazing that i could be attracted to one of those characters.

We do closed captioning on one tv. Not intentionally, but it showed up one day and we like it so we haven't taken it off. Definitely helps with the accents. However some channels have a long delay with the captions but not all. It's weird.
Yeah, that helps. I watch a lot of British stuff, but every once in a while, if i haven't seen any in a little while, or it's a new show for me, with new accents, i'll start off with captioning for an episode until i get acclimated.

1609361330469.jpeg

Re-binged Twin Peaks—the original two seasons. I absolutely loved that show back when it was new in 1990(?), and i have the BluRays, somewhere. But, i haven't seen it in quite a while. I didn't expect it to have aged well, but i loved it all over again. And, good lord, Madchen Amick and Sherilyn Fenn were stunning.
I rewatched it recently. It seems to fall-apart early in season two. It’s as if there wasn’t a plan. The first season is so great though.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah—i forgot to note that. I watched two and a half seasons of that over the summer. Tatiana Maslany is a lot of fun. It's amazing that i could be attracted to one of those characters.
Cosima? That would be my pick, but that's not the right tree for me to bark up.

I rewatched it recently. It seems to fall-apart early in season two. It’s as if there wasn’t a plan. The first season is so great though.
Yeah, it's like they resolved it too soon in season two and had to start new stuff. Some unnecessary characters and storylines. The core/initial group was enough.

Yeah, Cosima's the coolest. It's just crazy how well she plays each one differently. Allison was my other favorite. She's hilariously messed up.
Exactly. Allison is the most fun. But, also, there's that i think Cosima actually cute, and not so much the others. Which is weird. It's all character/personality, because it's not physical. In fact, i don't even like her hair, which is the primary differentiator. Nutty.

It's weird for me, seeing certain actresses in different roles. For the most part, i see the same actress in a different role. With some people—Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Mary Tyler Moore—i have some sort of 'mental block' and even though they look like the same person in different shows, it's still hard for me to think of them as the same person.

With Orphan Black, it's all in one show. In the same episodes. You see it and know what she's doing, and still they are very distinct 'people.' Watching Orphan Black made me go back to try to see what Julia was doing in Seinfeld vs Christine vs Veep. Things i originally assumed were not acting—just her natural mannerisms and whatnot—i now see were actually part of her character. By design. It's interesting to note in retrospect just how much acting is really being done, and how they make it look like those are the moments when they're not acting.

Exactly. Allison is the most fun. But, also, there's that i think Cosima actually cute, and not so much the others. Which is weird. It's all character/personality, because it's not physical. In fact, i don't even like her hair, which is the primary differentiator. Nutty.

It's weird for me, seeing certain actresses in different roles. For the most part, i see the same actress in a different role. With some people—Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Mary Tyler Moore—i have some sort of 'mental block' and even though they look like the same person in different shows, it's still hard for me to think of them as the same person.

With Orphan Black, it's all in one show. In the same episodes. You see it and know what she's doing, and still they are very distinct 'people.' Watching Orphan Black made me go back to try to see what Julia was doing in Seinfeld vs Christine vs Veep. Things i originally assumed were not acting—just her natural mannerisms and whatnot—i now see were actually part of her character. By design. It's interesting to note in retrospect just how much acting is really being done, and how they make it look like those are the moments when they're not acting.
Did you know the brother in Orphan Black actually isn't English? His accent work is crazy.

Did you know the brother in Orphan Black actually isn't English? His accent work is crazy.
I haven't seen it since July—i need to go back to finish it. But, yeah, it freaks me out when i find out someone isn't from where they sound like they are. Jessie Buckley's "Minnesota" accent is so much fun, i was freaked to learn she's from Ireland.

Meant to post- started watching Call the Midwife last night. Two episodes in, pretty good
Funny! We just started it Monday. Really enjoying the first season. I'm really curious how they've kept it fresh for 10, going on 11 seasons.

Funny! We just started it Monday. Really enjoying the first season. I'm really curious how they've kept it fresh for 10, going on 11 seasons.
They've done a good job of introducing new characters. But also, I don't know, they just keep telling good stories.

Brockmire if your looking for a raunchy-ish comedy. Its hilarious, at least to me. Hank Azaria is a sports announcer who implodes on the air and his life really spirals. 4 seasons worth out there of 30 min episodes

I forgot to mention Teenage Bounty Hunters. Anyone watching that? That was a lot of fun.

I forgot to mention Teenage Bounty Hunters. Anyone watching that? That was a lot of fun.
We watched some of the first episode and then forgot about it. Seems like we should hit it again.

We watched some of the first episode and then forgot about it. Seems like we should hit it again.

Its alot of fun. Unfortunately I don't think it will get a second season. :(

Something in the mold o Peaky blinders until that comes back
Check out Gangs of London. Should be about as close as you're going to get. Even has a Shelby brother as a main character.

Finished that not too long ago. Just started Barry and I May Destroy You this week. Drastically different but both have my attention through 2 or 3 eps. Only 30 mins is a plus.