Ima Virginia Hoops Fan ... Ask me Anything | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Ima Virginia Hoops Fan ... Ask me Anything

Thanks for comin ghere and being such a great sport. My Question: Mike Tobey seems to have great production per minute. Why doesn't he play more?

Thanks for comin ghere and being such a great sport. My Question: Mike Tobey seems to have great production per minute. Why doesn't he play more?

It's a little complicated. People thought he might go pro early after his freshman year, but then he kind of regressed. Lack of strength, bad hands, no toughness, foul prone. He's a helluva kid, but no mean streak, just really nice and sometimes soft. Tony is just not going to play anyone much who he doesn't trust on defense, and Mike kind of got into that mode. When Tobey comes to play and plays with confidence, he can be a difference maker. Lately he's been That Guy.

My father-in-law (a Dook alumn) is over today. He hasn't said anything about Syracuse since he's been here but keeps talking about Dook and next year. Should I...

a) Ignore him
b) Tell him to shut it
c) Put on the SU vs Dook game from earlier this year (that I have on my DVR)
d) Start drinking
e) All of the above

My father-in-law (a Dook alumn) is over today. He hasn't said anything about Syracuse since he's been here but keeps talking about Dook and next year. Should I...

a) Ignore him
b) Tell him to shut it
d) Start drinking
e) All of the above

E.

And the mastermind behind it all was LBJ, and his texas cronies.
Trust me on this one - it was the Chicago Mafia that put on the hit.

a) Ignore him
b) Tell him to shut it
d) Start drinking
e) All of the above

F: Make sure he's out the door by 6:10PM.
If all else fails stage a phony phone call and tell him his house is burning down.
Sorry to cut in on the UVA fan's answer session but this is a real crisis.

The south disliked the north, imo, because of the numerous tariffs/taxes placed on them to, "help/primarily pay for", supplement the northern manufacturing and building of big industry. The south was the source of food for the entire nation at that time, using large plantations to produce not only for the families in the south, but also to feed those in the north and to bring trade from other countries to the fledgling United States. Southerners used many hands on the farms to produce crops, tend and mend, fight off the native American Indians. The south was poor, not stupid, as many people now seem to think. Manufacturing and industry was a fast growing machine, and outside of a few locations, very limited in the south. Trade limits/taxes imposed higher prices on the goods used to sew, plant/produce, mend & repair rather than buy new, etc etc... Those increases placed an already stifled family under even more demanding, damning hardship. Many people & families who had fought hard to finally escape the burdens and toils of their indenturedness, lost their homes/farms to the banks and became indentured once again.

Many people today feel the cause of the Civil War was the north "being anti-slavery" and the south being "pro-slavery"... The true cause of the War was the undue hardships placed on the American farmer by the BANKS and then the regulatory tariffs which drove prices beyond the abilities of the southern people to pay for their needed goods and seemed to benefit the north only in the creation of more and more manufacturing plants; thereby taking not only the money from the farmer but also the ability for the farmer to compete and earn a living wage. Manufacturing made for faster production and faster production replaced the need for hand made goods.

The hatred grew even more after the Civil War when the south was left burned, broken, forgotten and then allowed to be pillaged by the northern movement through "carpetbagging", or the influx of Northern military generals and politicians who had ample money and bank/government support into the south and the farms that were destroyed from the war. The war also gave the northern manufacturers a huge surge in the growth of the nation by allowing them to control the rebuild of the nation.

This is well-done.

The Civil War was not a war against slavery, at least not initially.

In fact, Lincoln felt that the federal government did not have the power to abolish slavery where it already existed and his primary goal was preserving the union, not abolishing slavery.

The Emancipation Proclamation did not free all slaves, only those in areas outside Union control.

Although Lincoln was personally against Slavery, the Emancipation Proclamation was done for pragmatic, and not moral, reasons. It was done to help keep Britain neutral and as part of a "Total War" against the confederacy (since Slaves were used to grow food, build fortifications etc...).

a) Ignore him
b) Tell him to shut it
d) Start drinking
e) All of the above

How about F) Find a woman whose father is a 'Cuse fan...

Scientists say the falling in love is oxytocin or some other chemical, lasts for about 2 years, if I recall correctly. Tougher question is why do fools stay in love, in my humble opinion. Are we addicted to the Orange/Hoos?

So are you saying that the concept of monogamy actually goes against science?

a) Ignore him
b) Tell him to shut it
d) Start drinking
e) All of the above

a) and b) exclude e) so go with c) and d) - they accomplish e) essentially

I pussed out... I chose a and d. I'm drinking a Double IPA home brew and hanging out in my home office. However, when I get a buzz, I often get courageous so c) is definitely still in play.

a) Ignore him
b) Tell him to shut it
d) Start drinking
e) All of the above
I would ask him what time the Duke game comes on today. "Oh, right..."

a) Ignore him
b) Tell him to shut it
d) Start drinking
e) All of the above

c and d. Don't argue with him, laugh.

OK guys, I'm off to my brother in laws house for the family Easter shindig, along with four slabs of ribs that I smoked this morning.

I've enjoyed just fooling around with you all, it's been fun. You are some crazy mfkrs, though!

Hey - good luck tonight. I'll come back at some point and we can debrief. Take care.

The south disliked the north, imo, because of the numerous tariffs/taxes placed on them to, "help/primarily pay for", supplement the northern manufacturing and building of big industry. The south was the source of food for the entire nation at that time, using large plantations to produce not only for the families in the south, but also to feed those in the north and to bring trade from other countries to the fledgling United States. Southerners used many hands on the farms to produce crops, tend and mend, fight off the native American Indians. The south was poor, not stupid, as many people now seem to think. Manufacturing and industry was a fast growing machine, and outside of a few locations, very limited in the south. Trade limits/taxes imposed higher prices on the goods used to sew, plant/produce, mend & repair rather than buy new, etc etc... Those increases placed an already stifled family under even more demanding, damning hardship. Many people & families who had fought hard to finally escape the burdens and toils of their indenturedness, lost their homes/farms to the banks and became indentured once again.

Many people today feel the cause of the Civil War was the north "being anti-slavery" and the south being "pro-slavery"... The true cause of the War was the undue hardships placed on the American farmer by the BANKS and then the regulatory tariffs which drove prices beyond the abilities of the southern people to pay for their needed goods and seemed to benefit the north only in the creation of more and more manufacturing plants; thereby taking not only the money from the farmer but also the ability for the farmer to compete and earn a living wage. Manufacturing made for faster production and faster production replaced the need for hand made goods.

The hatred grew even more after the Civil War when the south was left burned, broken, forgotten and then allowed to be pillaged by the northern movement through "carpetbagging", or the influx of Northern military generals and politicians who had ample money and bank/government support into the south and the farms that were destroyed from the war. The war also gave the northern manufacturers a huge surge in the growth of the nation by allowing them to control the rebuild of the nation.
Cool post. Very interesting actually

PoppyHart's handle is a nod to Syracuse basketball history. Did you do any research before coming here?
Hey, unfair accusation. I'm a SU fan and maybe I should know, but I'm just guessing it's got something to do with Jason Hart, but what I have no idea of.

Cool post. Very interesting actually
Yes it is interesting. I don't buy it entirely, it downplays the slavery issue too much IMO, but I may do some research at some point to learn more. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom