IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester | Syracusefan.com

IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
My nephew goes to Seton Hall and he told me Saturday that they are considering shutting down(no online classes either) the entire fall semester. Maybe we get a season with just conference games this year?

Im surprised there wouldn’t at least be online classes. But I do think the CBB season itself will be in jeopardy if schools go online for an additional semester or two. So much still to shake out, of course. What would happen with seniors like Marek and Sidibe? Would they get an additional season of eligibility as graduate students? Would underclassmen be given an extra year of college eligibility? It’s a pandora’s box.

Im surprised there wouldn’t at least be online classes. But I do think the CBB season itself will be in jeopardy if schools go online for an additional semester or two. So much still to shake out, of course. What would happen with seniors like Marek and Sidibe? Would they get an additional season of eligibility as graduate students? Would underclassmen be given an extra year of college eligibility? It’s a pandora’s box.

I think part of it has to do with the fact they are in the thick of it. I know my BIL is trying to get him to go to HCCC or OCC because he doesn't see the point of paying 55K for a glorified community college education and neither he or my niece can work while they are both in college.

In another post a week to 10 days ago, I was sort of slammed for saying no cbb this year. Overly optimistic people were saying classes would be a go in September. I can't see it. Bringing anywhere from a couple of thousand to 20 or 30 thousand 18 to 24 year olds to a campus without at the least a viable treatment is a real stretch. Put 30k (football) or 15k (basketball) people of all ages in one place and what happens if only one is asymptomatic? How many do you come into contact in such situations? 10? Ha! 30? 50? 100 going out after the game? Sorry for the downer but that is a real strong possibility IMHO.

In another post a week to 10 days ago, I was sort of slammed for saying no cbb this year. Overly optimistic people were saying classes would be a go in September. I can't see it. Bringing anywhere from a couple of thousand to 20 or 30 thousand 18 to 24 year olds to a campus without at the least a viable treatment is a real stretch. Put 30k (football) or 15k (basketball) people of all ages in one place and what happens if only one is asymptomatic? How many do you come into contact in such situations? 10? Ha! 30? 50? 100 going out after the game? Sorry for the downer but that is a real strong possibility IMHO.

I agree it’s a distinct possibility. I think no fans at games (at least in the fall) is very likely, even if the games do proceed. But they’ll need to have rapid testing of athletes, team personnel, etc. before each game. Of course, things could change if the virus mutates to a less dangerous strain or doctors develop viable treatments that dramatically reduce mortality and hospitalization rates.

Gov Murphy is a moron he wants to shut down the state of NJ until 2025. Not surprised.

I think we have robust testing by early summer
I think we have limited vaccine by fall
I think we have multiple treatments by summer
I think we have anti-body answers by june

what that means? no idea

I think we have robust testing by early summer
I think we have limited vaccine by fall
I think we have multiple treatments by summer
I think we have anti-body answers by june

what that means? no idea
You're insane if you think a vaccine will be approved by the fall. There is no precedent for that whatsoever.

That's probably more harsh than it needs to be, but I just don't see it.

I really hope we have robust testing soon, but man, early summer isn't that far off, and we have administered as many tests in 6 or 7 weeks that they promised would be done in one week in early March. Your optimism is nice, but based on a different reality than what I see.

And trust me, I really want to see your schedule, because I really want to see my kid play high school hoops in his senior year. But I'm much more pessimistic about that happening based on information I'm getting from people who are fighting on the front lines of this battle in hospitals up here in VT where we have absolutely flattened the curve.

I could see the NYC area schools doing that. That area just totally skews all of the Covid19 numbers.

just reading about vaccines and the testing phases they are in and the techniques they are using they never tried before. So many think they already have a working one now its really about safety and side effects more than anything else.

in 2 months life will look a whole bunch different
The more time passes and more news and stories I hear from different parts of the country and world make me think we’re inching towards good sports news for the fall

just reading about vaccines and the testing phases they are in and the techniques they are using they never tried before. So many think they already have a working one now its really about safety and side effects more than anything else.
I've not seen ANY reports of this. There have been other wild things said too. From being a hoax to a Chinese attack.

In no way was I slamming you only replying based on data. The human and fear factor is the unknown variable. I still believe there will be a season as a result of data trends. The question as I also noted in that thread is how a fan free season would or could work.

You're insane if you think a vaccine will be approved by the fall. There is no precedent for that whatsoever.

I really hope we have robust testing soon, but man, early summer isn't that far off, and we have administered as many tests in 6 or 7 weeks that they promised would be done in one week in early March. Your optimism is nice, but based on a different reality than what I see.

And trust me, I really want to see your schedule, because I really want to see my kid play high school hoops in his senior year. But I'm much more pessimistic about that happening based on information I'm getting from people who are fighting on the front lines of this battle in hospitals up here in VT where we have absolutely flattened the curve.

The Gilead antiviral is right now the most well known hinge on a lot of this. If the next round of tests with control groups solidifies the very positive results so far, then it will play a big role in how things shake out. Obviously a vaccine is King, but if a proven treatment is available to the masses plus herd immunity the options may be a bit wider.

The Gilead antiviral is right now the most well known hinge on a lot of this. If the next round of tests with control groups solidifies the very positive results so far, then it will play a big role in how things shake out. Obviously a vaccine is King, but if a proven treatment is available to the masses plus herd immunity the options may be a bit wider.

remdesivir?

meh

Fauci and a few others have noted that vaccine is possible by the fall, however, that assumes everythign goes right and even in that scenario it would only be available in very limited quantities to frontline healthcare workers. Best realistic shot of a vaccine in any sort of numbers is probably Summer 2021.

remdesivir?

meh

Right. We are talking very limited data too. That said I havent heard of anything that is at least in the media for those of us non medical kind that sounds promising.

There is such a wide moat between the data and the media right now it's maddening. I mean Florida is in the crosshairs yet their testing and positives are extremely favorable compared to other states considered as having handled things far better.

Here is a better question. Can College Hoops survive without a season? How much is available in reserve given every single stakeholder is impacted severely by this crisis? It's a realistic question for many college sports.

Gov Murphy is a moron he wants to shut down the state of NJ until 2025. Not surprised.
Gov Murphy wants to open the state up more than we do. He doesn't want to shut the state down one minute longer than is necessary. None of them do. They are sports fans. Just like us. They love going out just as we do. You want deaths on your hands Brian? Of course not. Neither do they.

Gov Murphy wants to open the state up more than we do. He doesn't want to shut the state down one minute longer than is necessary. None of them do. They are sports fans. Just like us. They love going out just as we do. You want deaths on your hands Brian? Of course not. Neither do they.

If we are shut down until 2025 there will be four of us left talking SU basketball via cup phone .

Status
Not open for further replies.