IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Orange 79 said. brian. This sucks for everyone. Not just you. I'm older. This is taking time I can't get back in my shorten life. As I have said to you earlier, other generations have been asked to sacrifice a lot more than this. tonight, you will be in your home watching tv. Think of what other generations have been asked to go through.

It's the worst part. The stories you don't see are the worst. We visit my 93 year old grandmother at the nursing home through a window . Husband's and wives are doing the same thing and maybe have days, months or then hours left and this is how they get to spend them.

As a country we really are not accustomed to having to sacrifice a lot unless you come from poverty. Having grown up without much I can say it does make it easier to cope and manage the reality and very minor sacrifice in comparison to past generations but it still sucks. I worry deeply about the second wave of sickness and struggle that comes financially. It's going to be deadly in its own way. Memories and trying to find moments of joy are really important right now.

What Orange 79 said. brian. This sucks for everyone. Not just you. I'm older. This is taking time I can't get back in my shorten life. As I have said to you earlier, other generations have been asked to sacrifice a lot more than this. tonight, you will be in your home watching tv. Think of what other generations have been asked to go through.

Not sure if your income is affected by the shut-down or not. But there are tens of millions of folks who have lost their jobs and are hurting badly. Many small businesses will never recover. A lifetime of hard work, down the drain because of a circumstance they never could have envisioned.

Regardless of what you think of the shut-down and the actions of state and federal gov’ts, equating their sacrifices with just being at home “watching TV” is misguided IMO.

Not sure if your income is affected by the shut-down or not. But there are tens of millions of folks who have lost their jobs and are hurting badly. Many small businesses will never recover. A lifetime of hard work, down the drain because of a circumstance they never could have envisioned.

Regardless of what you think of the shut-down and the actions of state and federal gov’ts, equating their sacrifices with just being at home “watching TV” is misguided IMO.
I understand the pain that people are going through. I also under stand that the 42000 that have died so far, they can never recover. Our country has been asked to sacrifice for over 240 years. There have been much tougher times than this time. The truth is that people are at home watching tv. For the most part, we aren't in bread lines like in the 1930's. We aren't asked to go away for years and fight a two front war. I am as miserable as anyone. And I see the suffering that people are going through. I am worried that like in 1917/1918 this pandemic will be much much, worse in the second wave. As far as income, there is somethings that are worse. For those of us that are older, like me, we are losing time. Time that we can never get back. I have joked to my friends in the past that I probably have at the most 17 ncaa tournaments left. Now, I have one less without getting to see it. People are dying and they are dying alone. That is just awful. so it's a lot more than income. You can always make more money.

Last edited:
How are people not supposed to die in these CV isolation wards where all the DR's and nurses have on spacesuits and they are all attached to ventilators and see people being taken by death all around them. They don't get to see any family or friends and just give up hope and give up hope and give in to death.

How are people not supposed to die in these CV isolation wards where all the DR's and nurses have on spacesuits and they are all attached to ventilators and see people being taken by death all around them. They don't get to see any family or friends and just give up hope and give up hope and give in to death.

what?

No visitors are allowed in the CV ward. For elderly people, that's enough to send them into depression and to give up.

what would you purpose they do instead

You make some great points dash. I have my degree in history so I do realize the sacrifices that people have made plenty of sacrifices over time. It's not just me people are tired of hearing "We are all in this together" and "Were not there yet". People are depressed and stressed and need a plan and hope.
The last sentence says it ALL. The lack of a plan is political; the lack of hope is psychological/spiritual. Working on the latter is something we all can do; the former is more something we can only gripe (strongly) about. I often refer to a study that indicated that people who are sports fans have better mental health than people who are not. So what do we sports fans do now???

I am thinking that perhaps 3/4 of a sports fan’s enjoyment is thinking about what is going to happen in the future : the second half, the next game, the play offs, the next season. On this forum we have two boards that are devoted exclusively to the recruitment of future players.

I have great difficulty wrapping my mind around not having a season. (Yes, I know there are bigger issues but we are discussing this on a basketball board with the thread entitled: College basketball is in serious jeopardy etc. etc.) Hope is all about the future. I guess what I am going to have to do is accept that next season is not happening. I guess I will try to make every day interesting. (I will fail, but some days I will have success.) I do visualize a season in the fall of 2021.

Everything is on pause; some things will be paused longer than others. It’s a hard reality to swallow.

Lack of hope is a terrible thing. But that isn't killing these people. The virus is.
Haven't you ever had a family member or friend very ill in the hospitol and have them tell you that the visits from friends and family is what sustained them? When a person loses hope and gives up their will to live, then they die.

I understand the pain that people are going through. I also under stand that the 42000 that have died so far, they can never recover. Our country has been asked to sacrifice for over 240 years. There have been much tougher times than this time. The truth is that people are at home watching tv. For the most part, we aren't in bread lines like in the 1930's. We aren't asked to go away for years and fight a two front war. I am as miserable as anyone. And I see the suffering that people are going through. I am worried that like in 1917/1918 this pandemic will be much much, worse in the second wave. As far as income, there is somethings that are worse. For those of us that are older, like me, we are losing time. Time that we can never get back. I have joked to my friends in the past that I probably have at the most 17 ncaa tournaments left. Now, I have one less without getting to see it. People are dying and they are dying alone. That is just awful. so it's a lot more than income. You can always make more money.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. You have some worthy arguments in this post, but a couple quick comments:

1. Sure, people before us had tougher times and had to sacrifice more. But I personally think we should be able to set a higher bar than “well, people before had it worse.”

2. If we are in for a prolonged economic downturn, it won’t be as simple for folks as “they can always make more money.” Tomorrow if I went up to a struggling single parent trying to put food on their table and said “don’t worry, you can always make more money” they’d probably tell me to “&$@# off.” Yes, people can make more money 2, 5, and 10 years from now, but that won’t help them feed their kids tomorrow.

Ultimately we should be able to have a conversation about the economy amid this pandemic. That doesn’t make us heartless. In fact, one of my concerns about the economy has to do with protecting life. It would be hard to imagine we don’t have an increase in crime, drug abuse, and suicide if we have a huge economic downturn.

Enough for you to feel comfortable walking around in a crowd without a mask, when others are doing the same?

Not me, and not a lot of governors, either. Unless they're Republicans not named Hogan.

Tell that to Colorado (opening next week) and Virginia (never really closed).

Haven't you ever had a family member or friend very ill in the hospitol and have them tell you that the visits from friends and family is what sustained them? When a person loses hope and gives up their will to live, then they die.
It was the medicine that sustained them. This coming from someone who visited both my parents every day for at least a year each at the end. The most important thing now, not that there aren't other important things, but the most important thing, is that we stop the spread of this virus.

It was the medicine that sustained them. This coming from someone who visited both my parents every day for at least a year each at the end. The most important thing now, not that there aren't other important things, but the most important thing, is that we stop the spread of this virus.
It can't be stopped. Did your parents look forward to your daily visits, I guess you don't see the irony in your statement.

It can't be stopped. Did your parents look forward to your daily visits, I guess you don't see the irony in your statement.
There is no irony in my statement. I saw my parents because I loved them and they loved me. It didn't at the time put them more at risk or me at risk. That is the difference you just can't seem to grasp.

You're insane if you think a vaccine will be approved by the fall. There is no precedent for that whatsoever.

That's probably more harsh than it needs to be, but I just don't see it.

I really hope we have robust testing soon, but man, early summer isn't that far off, and we have administered as many tests in 6 or 7 weeks that they promised would be done in one week in early March. Your optimism is nice, but based on a different reality than what I see.

And trust me, I really want to see your schedule, because I really want to see my kid play high school hoops in his senior year. But I'm much more pessimistic about that happening based on information I'm getting from people who are fighting on the front lines of this battle in hospitals up here in VT where we have absolutely flattened the curve.
Hey, stop contradicting the people with no background in healthcare, epidemiology, or virology. They know how this thing is gonna work.

There is no irony in my statement. I saw my parents because I loved them and they loved me. It didn't at the time put them more at risk or me at risk. That is the difference you just can't seem to grasp.
I understand the risk. I also understand human feelings and emotions. The mortality rates are much higher in the large, medical industrial hospitals than in smaller facilities where a more human to human level of care can be given. These are old and poor and vulnerable people who get sick. then progress to not being able to breath and then are moved into an alien environment which amount to a death ward being stricken with terror from thinking they have the plague and will never see their friends and loved ones again. And many of them end up dying.

I understand the risk. I also understand human feelings and emotions. The mortality rates are much higher in the large, medical industrial hospitals than in smaller facilities where a more human to human level of care can be given. These are old and poor and vulnerable people who get sick. then progress to not being able to breath and then are moved into an alien environment which amount to a death ward being stricken with terror from thinking they have the plague and will never see their friends and loved ones again. And many of them end up dying.
First, would you mind sharing the science that informed your statement about mortality rates above?

Second, what the hell is your point? That you want hospitals to just open up like a Georgia salon? I don't get exactly what you're advocating here. I'm not sure you do either to be honest.

First, would you mind sharing the science that informed your statement about mortality rates above?

Second, what the hell is your point? That you want hospitals to just open up like a Georgia salon? I don't get exactly what you're advocating here. I'm not sure you do either to be honest.
Not a single portion of his post is based in fact-based evidence.

Where the heck do they keep the industrial hospitals?

You and Dasher and others who can't see the forest thru the trees will figure it out sooner or later. Look at the deaths and infected rates county to county, state to state. The numbers tell the story. In regards to basketball and college sports, if the Universities and colleges don't have students on campus this fall, they won't be coming for the next semester and that will be the end college, college sports and the economies of college towns across the country.

Not a single portion of his post is based in fact-based evidence.

Where the heck do they keep the industrial hospitals?
Take the patients from Vermont and send them to a hospital in NYC, most won't return.

You and Dasher and others who can't see the forest thru the trees will figure it out sooner or later. Look at the deaths and infected rates county to county, state to state. The numbers tell the story. In regards to basketball and college sports, if the Universities and colleges don't have students on campus this fall, they won't be coming for the next semester and that will be the end college, college sports and the economies of college towns across the country.
What does that have to do with my question regarding where you got the science to inform your statement concerning mortality rates?? Stay focused, my man. I know that's hard when your opinion is flimsy and weak, but try! Again, please share with us the science you used to inform your statement. Thanks -

Status
Not open for further replies.