IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

IMO College Basketball is in serious jeopardy of not having a season at least the fall semester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a better question. Can College Hoops survive without a season? How much is available in reserve given every single stakeholder is impacted severely by this crisis? It's a realistic question for many college sports.
I believe both football and basketball survived during WW2 with limited seasons at best, but I really hope it is not going to be that way.

I believe both football and basketball survived during WW2 with limited seasons at best, but I really hope it is not going to be that way.

True. Not sure the revenue as a pct of total revenue back then though vs today. Would imagine it's a large difference given how much more expensive it is today.

True. Not sure the revenue as a pct of total revenue back then though vs today. Would imagine it's a large difference given how much more expensive it is today.
The bigger problem is the colleges themselves not being open for classes, I know for me, on line, simply does not cut it at the rates being charged. Luckily my kids are all done, but I can see current students and their parents making the same calculus.

I have no crystal ball, but if we are shut down until 2025, sports will be the least of our problems.
I simply do not believe that will happen. If it were our world would be in chaos.
This is actually a rather mild virus bad as it may be. There are far worse out there. To mention a few Marburg, Ebola, Lassa, and one endemic to the southwestern US that I can not remember the name of right now.

Last edited:
I simply do not believe that will happen. If it were our world would be in chaos.
This is actually a rather mild virus bad as it may be. There are far worse out there. To mention a few Marburg, Ebola, Lassa, and one endemic to the southwestern US that I can not remember the name of right now.
Just saw a Dr on NBC call this virus a monster. We haven't had anything like this here in America. It has shut the world down. Ebola sure didn't do that. And we don't know what the end result will be. This thing is far from over. I hope it ends tomorrow. And I sure don't think it will be around in 2025. But please don't minimize what the Coronavirus is. Like the Dr just said, it is a monster. It's already killed 40000 of us here.

Gov Murphy wants to open the state up more than we do. He doesn't want to shut the state down one minute longer than is necessary. None of them do. They are sports fans. Just like us. They love going out just as we do. You want deaths on your hands Brian? Of course not. Neither do they.
Of course not but people are losing their jobs more businesses keep going under by the day. Sooner or later we are going to have to make a move here using caution.

Just saw a Dr on NBC call this virus a monster. We haven't had anything like this here in America. It has shut the world down. Ebola sure didn't do that. And we don't know what the end result will be. This thing is far from over. I hope it ends tomorrow. And I sure don't think it will be around in 2025. But please don't minimize what the Coronavirus is. Like the Dr just said, it is a monster. It's already killed 40000 of us here.

In many ways this is the modern version of what past generations have dealt with. A modern day smallpox/plague/spanish flu etc whatever you wish to call it. The advantages we have today are signficant in terms of technology and modern medicine. 40k/60k/100k deaths in a short timeline are just as significant as the far higher counts historically given the resources that we have today.

We are learning things though, some apparently that are using older concepts paired with modern. Things like proning , fast tracking treatment and vaccine programs and things I am surely leaving out all help us fight this.

The major disadvantage we have today is actually economic. We have gotten complacent and lazy vs the generations far before us. Real conservation and understanding how to ration is foreign to many today. Supply chains are a mess with over reliance on overseas production as well as the reliance on persistent demand with no plans on how to account for a severe loss in demand. The medical supply chain issues are worth their own 150 pages alone.

Here is a better question. Can College Hoops survive without a season? How much is available in reserve given every single stakeholder is impacted severely by this crisis? It's a realistic question for many college sports.
I would say no considering everything they lost from not having the tournament this year.

Such hyperbole. It’s a monster in the hardest hit areas like NYC. Take away those numbers, and things don’t look as drastic across the rest of NY for example. This isn’t a plague killing off half the population. Studies are coming out now showing that this thing was probably here long before March, and thousands (if not millions) were barely symptomatic and recovered. We still have work to do, but all signs recently point to better days ahead. We all hope.

The bigger problem is the colleges themselves not being open for classes, I know for me, on line, simply does not cut it at the rates being charged. Luckily my kids are all done, but I can see current students and their parents making the same calculus.

Exactly. You have to have some sort of revenue and a reason to even have student athletes on campus. I mean never more is it obvious that major revenue sports are a semi professional organization operating within the academic structure.

Of course not but people are losing their jobs more businesses keep going under by the day. Sooner or later we are going to have to make a move here using caution.
So, you'd rather lose your job than lose your life?

All is relative, the virae I mentioned kill at a much higher percentage of the infected and in a much more gruesome way. I said in my initial statement bad as it is, there are far worse, and that is very much the truth. The only reason these have not caused more widespread disease is that they have been quickly isolated and mitigated. You may thank the Communist Chinese that this one was not.
Not trying to downplay the covid19, for many individuals it is a catastrophy, and for the medical people it is a severe challenge, It is simply not the worst possible of epidemic virae.

So, you'd rather lose your job than lose your life?
Of course not but if a person loses their job and can't afford to put food on the table what kind of life are they living? The death rate and hospitalization rate is going down.

My company is preparing us to wfh until September. Politicians can tell people they are opening up things all they want. Large private enterprises are going to be much more cautious to mitigate risk.

Last edited:
Key word - "living".
If by living you mean hiding at home struggling to put food on the table. It's easy for the politician living in a mansion to say keep staying at home how about the person or family living in a small apartment or house? I know there is no perfect solution but we can't keep going on like this forever.

If by living you mean hiding at home struggling to put food on the table. It's easy for the politician living in a mansion to say keep staying at home how about the person or family living in a small apartment or house? I know there is no petefect solution but we can't keep going on like this forever.
By "living", I mean "not dying". Because people certainly will if things move too quickly.

Such hyperbole. It’s a monster in the hardest hit areas like NYC. Take away those numbers, and things don’t look as drastic across the rest of NY for example. This isn’t a plague killing off half the population. Studies are coming out now showing that this thing was probably here long before March, and thousands (if not millions) were barely symptomatic and recovered. We still have work to do, but all signs recently point to better days ahead. We all hope.

Ah you don’t hear the global plague edition of “take away the final four years and actually Boeheims not that great of a coach” that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.