Importance of FSU game - 3 aspects | Syracusefan.com

Importance of FSU game - 3 aspects

DonLightfoot

All Conference
1) - We "NEED" to protect our home court down the stretch. Only 3 games left.
2) - Both teams are 6-5 in Conference play. Possible tiebreaker game.
3) - Apparently both teams are part of the "last four in" on one of the Bracketology forecasts. The loser will not have a favourable impact on that forecast.

Is this a "must win" game? A loss is probably not the end of the world, but I think we have to get this one.

Without exaggeration, this game is:

9655650-newborn-baby-girl-asleep-on-a-blanket.jpg

and

grim-reaper-angel-death-28594059.jpg

I say this every game. BUT THIS TIME I MEAN IT!!!!!

HUGE game

Both teams are basically the same (couple good wins, couple REALLY bad losses, both will be on the bubble all the way to selection Sunday)

3) - Apparently both teams are part of the "last four in" on one of the Bracketology forecasts. The loser will not have a favourable impact on that forecast.

Is this a "must win" game? A loss is probably not the end of the world, but I think we have to get this one.

Yes.

Honestly, it's probably the biggest game of the season up to the is point for the reasons you pointed out above. And to expand on the your #3 above--the consolidated bracketmatrix.com tells an even better story---of all the teams in the country, out of 86 brackets submitted the two teams are incredibly nearly tied on the consensus seeding of the 10 (the "last 4 in" is only the idiot Lunardi):

10 Florida State ACC 9.46
10 Syracuse ACC 9.49

www.bracketmatrix.com

Also, to expand on the conference standings, it's imperative we get to 10-8 --- we'll all be too nervous at 9-9 on Selection Sunday after the last 2 times we were on the bubble. Also, I really want to finish 6th/7th (at worse). A) it avoids the 8/9 game, which then has to play the 1-seed. B) The 6 and 7 seeds play at night on Wed/Thurs of the Tourney (really don't want to be playing in the middle of the afternoon both of those days as an 8 or 9 seed). C) 6th sounds a helluva lot better than 8th or 9th when seeding/selection time comes around.

In summary, it's the classic "2-game swing" tomorrow night for BOTH the seeding in the tourney and the conference standings. If we win, we'll be a consensus 9-seed going into the BC game Sunday. If we lose, at best we would be an 11 (and at that point Lunardi would probably have us out all together since it's "last 4 in" at the moment"). In ACC, if we win for the moment we would be tied for 7th place place (and be the 7th seed), but if we lose we would be 10th place (and 9-seed without Louisville). Thus, you could even make the argument it's the biggest regular season game we've had in at least two years!

I'm extremely nervous about this FSU game. I'm going to be watching this game with the intensity that I watch SU NCAA Tournament games (i.e. pacing around the house almost on the verge of tears with my wife legitimately concerned for my physical and psychological well-being).

I'm extremely nervous about this FSU game. I'm going to be watching this game with the intensity that I watch SU NCAA Tournament games (i.e. pacing around the house almost on the verge of tears with my wife legitimately concerned for my physical and psychological well-being).
definitely, my wife will tell me at least 10 times "It's just a game."

which will annoy me equally, every time she tells me.

Honestly, it's probably the biggest game of the season up to the is point for the reasons you pointed out above. And to expand on the your #3 above--the consolidated bracketmatrix.com tells an even better story---of all the teams in the country, out of 86 brackets submitted the two teams are incredibly nearly tied on the consensus seeding of the 10 (the "last 4 in" is only the idiot Lunardi):

10 Florida State ACC 9.46
10 Syracuse ACC 9.49

www.bracketmatrix.com

Also, to expand on the conference standings, it's imperative we get to 10-8 --- we'll all be too nervous at 9-9 on Selection Sunday after the last 2 times we were on the bubble. Also, I really want to finish 6th/7th (at worse). A) it avoids the 8/9 game, which then has to play the 1-seed. B) The 6 and 7 seeds play at night on Wed/Thurs of the Tourney (really don't want to be playing in the middle of the afternoon both of those days as an 8 or 9 seed). C) 6th sounds a helluva lot better than 8th or 9th when seeding/selection time comes around.

In summary, it's the classic "2-game swing" tomorrow night for BOTH the seeding in the tourney and the conference standings. If we win, we'll be a consensus 9-seed going into the BC game Sunday. If we lose, at best we would be an 11 (and at that point Lunardi would probably have us out all together since it's "last 4 in" at the moment"). In ACC, if we win for the moment we would be tied for 7th place place (and be the 7th seed), but if we lose we would be 10th place (and 9-seed without Louisville). Thus, you could even make the argument it's the biggest regular season game we've had in at least two years!

Good post--very important game for BOTH teams. Glad we have this one at home. We can pick up a "W" and hurt FSU's chances, as a team fighting for the same at-large berth slots we are. Double edged sword.

Don't share all this glum hype about Thur night's game. A win would be good, but if they beat us at the Dome and we beat them at Donald Tucker, it's a split. Of much more importance is if we are still playing in the ACC tourney come March 12, then we will be in and seeded.

if we win tomorrow we really have an excellent shot at 10 wins, which we all agree is the magic # for lock status. beat fsu, win the 2 "easy" games (bc and nc state), that puts us at 9 wins. then we just need 1 win between pitt, lville, unc and fsu road.

if we win tomorrow we really have an excellent shot at 10 wins, which we all agree is the magic # for lock status. beat fsu, win the 2 "easy" games (bc and nc state), that puts us at 9 wins. then we just need 1 win between pitt, lville, unc and fsu road.

The board seems obsessed with everything but CBB. I thought more people would be talking about FSU today. I agree, I think this is a must win. The road wins will not come easy. They have to win the home games.

Agree, a loss doesn't rule us out but we need this win!

I hope there's a good turn out tomorrow night. I'm coaching a game tomorrow night otherwise I would take the 4 hour drive!

That is my confusion. You are talking 10 regular season conference wins? If you add zero ACC tourney wins, then it is not a lock I think. The committee meets after the ACC tourney.

I'm pretty confident about the team the rest of the season. I think we win some games nobody expects. There is nobody we play who will be a powerhouse.

The board seems obsessed with everything but CBB. I thought more people would be talking about FSU today. I agree, I think this is a must win. The road wins will not come easy. They have to win the home games.

I am more nervous about the BC game than I am about the FSU, which makes little sense.

Three reasons I feel good about this game...
  1. Opposing freshmen rarely do well against our zone. They’ve never seen anything like it. And FSU is driven by their frosh.
  2. FSU is not the best passing team I’ve seen. Lots of one-on-one maneuvering.
  3. The 9-day layoff. We’ll be fresh, crisp and on-point.

I am more nervous about the BC game than I am about the FSU, which makes little sense.

Three reasons I feel good about this game...
  1. Opposing freshmen rarely do well against our zone. They’ve never seen anything like it. And FSU is driven by their frosh.
  2. FSU is not the best passing team I’ve seen. Lots of one-on-one maneuvering.
  3. The 9-day layoff. We’ll be fresh, crisp and on-point.

I'm not concerned about BC--at all. I don't put much stock in what they did against UNC last night.

FSU--tend to agree. I'll also mention that teams that rely primarily on defense / pressing to score tend to struggle against the zone if they can't get out and run. Still, we're going to need to bring it tomorrow night.

That is my confusion. You are talking 10 regular season conference wins? If you add zero ACC tourney wins, then it is not a lock I think. The committee meets after the ACC tourney.

if we finish 10-8 we'll be an 8 or 9 seed even if we lose by 50 in our first acc tourny game. look at our resume, we have some really good wins, and if we get to 10 wins you can most likely add florida st and pitt to that list.

Good post--very important game for BOTH teams. Glad we have this one at home. We can pick up a "W" and hurt FSU's chances, as a team fighting for the same at-large berth slots we are. Double edged sword.

Then FSU has a chance to return the favor the last game of the season. Need to hold serve at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom