In game coaching is now terrible | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

In game coaching is now terrible

I know we only lost by 1, so it almost worked out, but after Buddy fouled out did anyone else think we looked a tad unhinged?

I think we were only down 3 with 60+ seconds to go, and all of a sudden we looked like a team down six with 12 seconds left playing with nothing to lose. There didn't seem to be much thought going into what we were doing.

Why? Did he suddenly get worse?
No. But now that teams have a book on him hes been exposed. Like a new pitcher the second time he faces a batter.

I know we only lost by 1, so it almost worked out, but after Buddy fouled out did anyone else think we looked a tad unhinged?

I think we were only down 3 with 60+ seconds to go, and all of a sudden we looked like a team down six with 12 seconds left playing with nothing to lose. There didn't seem to be much thought going into what we were doing.
Yes we panicked.

While Jimmy deserves blame for mismanagement, saying he is the king of no adjustments is literally not even close to being the truth. His mid-game adjustments during the Big East would be a big difference maker.
I’ve always felt like JB is a half-time adjustment only coach.

My issue with the coaching staff is their lack of preparedness. A Hall of Fame coach should elevate his players and out coach other teams. He should give his team every advantage as possible. This is not the case. His philosophy late in games is to play on and not call a time out, but insists at stopping play at the end of halves. It’s never successful. He does nothing to help his team inbounding the ball from the sidelines. It’s just get open. No sets, no nothing. I haven’t seen anything since he isolated Andre Hawkins in the post from the sideline. He put three across at mid court and isolated Hawkins. Today it’s all ”just get open.” They are so slow inbounding the ball against pressure it allows teams all day to set up their pressure. If teams are doubling us on ball screens and we can’t handle it, stop doing it. Put the screens on the baseline to avoid the double teams or just dump it to Jessie if they double the curls, Our forwards handling the ball anytime is a turnover waiting to happen. How many times did Swider and Jimmy lose the dribble or just fall down? It was embarrassing. If there ever was a team that needs a motion continuity offense it’s this team. They need to rely on each other to get open and make weak side defensive players stay honest. Any of these players going iso is a disaster waiting to happen. Buddy still hasn’t realized that every time he turns his back to the basket the defense is blitzing him from the bling side. In the past few games Buddy has had some horrendous turnovers that have led to break away layups. Don’t even get me started on Buddy’s lack of effort running the floor. He just jogs or fouls. Joe just waving his hand thinking it will stop someone from shooting. How JB still uses Jessie to sprint to the corner to defend the three in the so called 1-3-1 defense or whatever you want to call it is inexcusable. All teams do is ball fake and go around Jessie, which leaves Swider and Jr. on the block. That’s a disaster. Please put Jessie in the middle of that defense and let someone else run the baseline. When the ball goes to the corner Jessie can now drops and covers the blocks.

Someone please tell our assistant coaches to teach our players to stop dribbling the ball up near their eyes. I’ve never seen a team who dribble the ball so high. Dribbling the ball through your legs is useless if you’re not going somewhere. Joe uses so much useless energy dribbling everywhere except getting by his man. Last night everyone was going East -West and it kept resulting in turnovers. God forbid if we have use a snap chest pass to a teammate. This team is so fundamentally poor in their dribbling and passing. This is on the assistant coaches.

I think you can tell I’m just a little frustrated, but this team is so poorly coached fundamentally it’s even more pronounced with their lack of athleticism. Good coaching is suppose to take advantage of your strengths and limit your exposure to your weaknesses. A classic example of this is Tony Bennet. He gives his teams every chance to be successful. I don’t see this with our current coaching staff.

My issue with the coaching staff is their lack of preparedness. A Hall of Fame coach should elevate his players and out coach other teams. He should give his team every advantage as possible. This is not the case. His philosophy late in games is to play on and not call a time out, but insists at stopping play at the end of halves. It’s never successful. He does nothing to help his team inbounding the ball from the sidelines. It’s just get open. No sets, no nothing. I haven’t seen anything since he isolated Andre Hawkins in the post from the sideline. He put three across at mid court and isolated Hawkins. Today it’s all ”just get open.” They are so slow inbounding the ball against pressure it allows teams all day to set up their pressure. If teams are doubling us on ball screens and we can’t handle it, stop doing it. Put the screens on the baseline to avoid the double teams or just dump it to Jessie if they double the curls, Our forwards handling the ball anytime is a turnover waiting to happen. How many times did Swider and Jimmy lose the dribble or just fall down? It was embarrassing. If there ever was a team that needs a motion continuity offense it’s this team. They need to rely on each other to get open and make weak side defensive players stay honest. Any of these players going iso is a disaster waiting to happen. Buddy still hasn’t realized that every time he turns his back to the basket the defense is blitzing him from the bling side. In the past few games Buddy has had some horrendous turnovers that have led to break away layups. Don’t even get me started on Buddy’s lack of effort running the floor. He just jogs or fouls. Joe just waving his hand thinking it will stop someone from shooting. How JB still uses Jessie to sprint to the corner to defend the three in the so called 1-3-1 defense or whatever you want to call it is inexcusable. All teams do is ball fake and go around Jessie, which leaves Swider and Jr. on the block. That’s a disaster. Please put Jessie in the middle of that defense and let someone else run the baseline. When the ball goes to the corner Jessie can now drops and covers the blocks.

Someone please tell our assistant coaches to teach our players to stop dribbling the ball up near their eyes. I’ve never seen a team who dribble the ball so high. Dribbling the ball through your legs is useless if you’re not going somewhere. Joe uses so much useless energy dribbling everywhere except getting by his man. Last night everyone was going East -West and it kept resulting in turnovers. God forbid if we have use a snap chest pass to a teammate. This team is so fundamentally poor in their dribbling and passing. This is on the assistant coaches.

I think you can tell I’m just a little frustrated, but this team is so poorly coached fundamentally it’s even more pronounced with their lack of athleticism. Good coaching is suppose to take advantage of your strengths and limit your exposure to your weaknesses. A classic example of this is Tony Bennet. He gives his teams every chance to be successful. I don’t see this with our current coaching staff.
Boiling point - attained.

Great write-up. 10 out of 10. Highly recommend.

The second a team goes to a press we need to time out and get Symir and Benny in.
I was screaming at the start of the half to put in Symir, to handle the pressure and settle the offense in, withstand the Miami surge. And then I realized we have a stubborn head coach who has no feel for the game and personnel now, and I just smiled and laughed when the lead evaporated soo quickly. Not upset, not surprised, just knew this was coming with a bad defensive team and a stubborn coach.

Its too bad because I wanted to give JB credit for getting a better effort out of them on the defensive end in the first half. I saw a big difference in D from UVA to 1st half, but there are 2 halves.

Last edited:

haha......I often comment on this about Swider - he puts on a show when the defense is sagging just a tad and he's not going anywhere special. It reminds my of fancy dribbling dude at a pick-up game that starts his routine as soon as you check the ball.

Have we received any info on Anselem yet? Nothing in the press conference? If his honest to god decision was to not play him at all in the second half then I just have to stop watching games.

Great post.

I am shocked by how one-dimensional we've become on offense. All shooters, zero ability to dribble drive. Even worse, no offensive sets, poor passing, unathletic movement off the ball.

Bad formula. And you are 100% correct that you CAN play effective basketball with this type of personnel with a motion-type of offense. But instead, we try to play iso ball with a group of personnel who are poorly suited for it.

Another thing that is readily apparent to me is that this group of coaches do not excel at teaching the game. Tony Bennet [building upon your reference] coached teams play the right way, and look nothing like how we play.

Which is why replacing JB with Red or GMac would be an incredibly poor strategic move.

haha...I often comment on this about Swider - he puts on a show when the defense is sagging just a tad and he's not going anywhere special. It reminds my of fancy dribbling dude at a pick-up game that starts his routine as soon as you check the ball.
The professor! I actually love his YouTube channel! Haha

You have no idea where Jimmy’s passes are going.
Jimmy is such a disappointment on defense. Even having Marek would have helped enormously on this team. Was there any serious attempt to coax him back for another season? Probably not because JB is so passive now with player retention.

Have we received any info on Anselem yet? Nothing in the press conference? If his honest to god decision was to not play him at all in the second half then I just have to stop watching games.
I meant to start a thread on that. Why didn’t he play? Injury? Sick? He’s usually the sixth man these days.

I meant to start a thread on that. Why didn’t he play? Injury? Sick? He’s usually the sixth man these days.
Because Jesse was carrying us in the first half and in the second when he sat the run was on and he doesn't trust Frank

The thing with Marek is he made people around him better because he could make winning plays. His defense on the wing would be so much better than what we have. Jessie would average several more points a game because Marek would set him up. He could also dribble.

Great post.

I am shocked by how one-dimensional we've become on offense. All shooters, zero ability to dribble drive. Even worse, no offensive sets, poor passing, unathletic movement off the ball.

Bad formula. And you are 100% correct that you CAN play effective basketball with this type of personnel with a motion-type of offense. But instead, we try to play iso ball with a group of personnel who are poorly suited for it.

Another thing that is readily apparent to me is that this group of coaches do not excel at teaching the game. Tony Bennet [building upon your reference] coached teams play the right way, and look nothing like how we play.

Which is why replacing JB with Red or GMac would be an incredibly poor strategic move.
I love how you constantly find fresh new ways to hammer this point for people who don’t get it.

The thing with Marek is he made people around him better because he could make winning plays. His defense on the wing would be so much better than what we have. Jessie would average several more points a game because Marek would set him up. He could also dribble.

Marek at the 4 alongside Jesse would be nice to see. Better defense, better rebounding on that end of the floor.

He'd also be a huge step up as a complimentary ball handler against pressure, and a secondary playmaker for his teammates. We could use him.

Why? Did he suddenly get worse?
in a vaccum he might not be worse, but his play is a lot worse this year.

hes been scouted out and he telegraphs everything he does...he gets tunnel vision and ball hogs it...usually into a missed bucket or turnover...and his passing is pretty bad.

now that teams dont have to worry as much about players like qg...they focus more on him and his play is def worse this year.

if he was playing like an all-american this year the team is probably ranked right now.

Jimmy is such a disappointment on defense. Even having Marek would have helped enormously on this team. Was there any serious attempt to coax him back for another season? Probably not because JB is so passive now with player retention.

Marek got his degree and chose to go make money. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom