Incredible comeback for a young, relatively inexperienced team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Incredible comeback for a young, relatively inexperienced team

If Roberson is as good as advertised, I think that could limit Raks minutes at the PF. Could end up being center by a committee of 3. It's pretty obvious that Grant and Fair are our best forwards and if roberson steps up he could take up the majority of the other available minutes. The problem with Rak at PF, there are only 3 possible scorers, as Coleman and Keita don't provide much either. Grant is such a dynamic player...

If Roberson is as good as advertised, I think that could limit Raks minutes at the PF. Could end up being center by a committee of 3. It's pretty obvious that Grant and Fair are our best forwards and if roberson steps up he could take up the majority of the other available minutes. The problem with Rak at PF, there are only 3 possible scorers, as Coleman and Keita don't provide much either. Grant is such a dynamic player...

Only one of Keita/Rak/DC will ever be on the floor when the game is in question.

I think we could see Roberson's offensive game being very similar to Jeramis maybe even a slitghtly better jumpshot.

If that is the case I still think we could see a lineup that swtiches its lineup on the offensive and defensive side of the ball...
Defense- Especially on nights teams get hot with a spot up shooter.
PG-Ennis SG-Grant/Roberson SF-Fair PF-Grant/Roberson Center-one of our bigs

Offense
PG-Ennis SG-Fair Forwards- Jerami and Beast Center whoever.

And BJ wasn't really given much run tonight he could be further along then we think. Theres a good chance of us going with 2 Fairs in Fair and BJ perimeter shooters who can hit the midrange with the dribble and off the ball and get to the rim some.
2 Jeamis guys who drive from the high post and in but can step out in the perimeter.
Adding in Cooney as a spot up shooter(nothing to flashy but really effective.
And Gbijie and Ennis both pushing as PG's and attacking the lane in transition against presses.

Our SG spot needs work as it was a big cause we got down tonight but the potential is high!
We have the potential to be deeper then 09-10 who went deeper to add new dimentions. This team could do the same.

That was a great game to watch, we beat one heck of a team, great comeback, and looking forward to the season

remember, Boeheim only goes with 7-8 players in more competitive games. I think Patterson and Johnson will get limited minutes in a lot of games. The 3 bigs will be game to game. Whoever is playing well and gives SU the best match ups will see time. Tonight it was Keita. Since we haven't seen Roberson he is a wild card. Based on what he did in high school, he is the #2 stud in the freshman class, with others a couple notches below both Roberson and Ennis.

The bigs are just lost on offensive. They have no post moves. DC2 lowering his shoulder and charging doesn't count as an offensive move). They really need some coaching beyond what they are getting. What is Rony Seikaly doing?

The bigs are just lost on offensive. They have no post moves. DC2 lowering his shoulder and charging doesn't count as an offensive move). They really need some coaching beyond what they are getting. What is Rony Seikaly doing?

Love this post. Please hire a real big man to coach up these bigs.

This:
a_benitez_i.jpg

saturday_ronyseikaly_4.25c_.jpg

Love this post. Please hire a real big man to coach up these bigs.

Seriously. The bigs are an embarrassment on offense to put it politely. Prized recruits! We can't keep playing 3 or 4 vs 5 on offense. Yeah, if Roberson is as advertised and can contribute some on offense then this would help tremendously to mask their woes. 23 points at H is a debacle. We are so lucky to have Ennis and a major breakout player in Grant. Heckuva gritty comeback win and REALLY impressive!

Seriously. The bigs are an embarrassment on offense to put it politely. Prized recruits! We can't keep playing 3 or 4 vs 5 on offense. Yeah, if Roberson is as advertised and can contribute some on offense then this would help tremendously to mask their woes. 23 points at H is a debacle. We are so lucky to have Ennis and a major breakout player in Grant. Heckuva gritty comeback win and REALLY impressive!

i don't think it is just us. it seems that big men with a real post game are more and more rare. Additionally- outside of pg the next most important position to have a high bball iq is your center. Its clear that is keita right now and his hands and lack of girth are his real limitations from being more of a threat offensively.

I wouldn't say Rak lowers the sholder, not so sure on DC I thought he was more up and down like Rak though. I only say that because they have much more potential attacking facing up then Rick Jackson did as he lowered the sholder alot and AO had all his drives back to the basket.

Agree they could use DC2 or a real big like Wallace out there helping them out though. Teaching them about contact when to go hard when to go slow, how to pivot, headfake, and make their jumpshot and hooks more smooth, quicker, softer, and fluent. Someone to humble what they can't do so well to build confidence in their strengths even.

Bigs could use a experienced teacher probably even more then guards these days as they are so raw offensively out of highschool. Visualizing is a big part of basketball and seeing someone else do it as a example is huge.

I am extrememly happy to see Dajuan and Rak equally getting minutes and working on a midpost game though. They need to keep playing isolation basketball and not give up on it. Especially to ACC starts.

i don't think it is just us. it seems that big men with a real post game are more and more rare. Additionally- outside of pg the next most important position to have a high bball iq is your center. Its clear that is keita right now and his hands and lack of girth are his real limitations from being more of a threat offensively.

Right but these guys have been in the program long enough. Virtually no improvement. Very telling when in crunch time your two McD big guys can't be trusted to be on the floor...in a preseason game.

little improvement in stats and results but not in progress.
DC2 will never be on the floor for defensive reasons, Rak was good enough to be but we went with Keita which is also good.

Right but these guys have been in the program long enough. Virtually no improvement. Very telling when in crunch time your two McD big guys can't be trusted to be on the floor...in a preseason game.

Just wait until Roberson is cleared. After having to sit out this trip, he's going to be out of his mind when he first enters a game. Fear The Beast! I can't wait to see him in Orange. I see him getting 15 minutes a game, maybe more. We need his presence on offense, defense and the glass.

little improvement in stats and results but not in progress.
DC2 will never be on the floor for defensive reasons, Rak was good enough to be but we went with Keita which is also good.

We can agree to disagree. Fortunately there is Keita, however.

Rak has never been a scorer, even when he was a MickyD. Never will be one. Keita has never had any offensive game. It's become obvious that Coleman, who does have some offensive potential, did his damage in HS just due to his sheer size compared to the comp.

I remember Fine getting ripped for years for the non progress of most of our centers.

Good offensive centers are few and far between. Even more so today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a great game to watch, we beat one heck of a team, great comeback, and looking forward to the season
It was a great game to listen to as well. JB even got his blood boiling. I don't know whose idea it was to do this early exhibition tour, but they should get a wave of kudos. We'll see dividends from the experience.

Rak has never been a scorer, even when he was a MickyD. Never will be one. Keita has never had any offensive game. It's become obvious that Coleman, who does have some offensive potential, did his damage in HS just due to his sheer size compared to the comp.

I remember Fine getting ripped for years for the non progress of most of our centers.

Good offensive centers are few and far between. Even more so today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several big men improved under Fine. Off the top of my head: Seikaly, AO, Rick Jackson. We've never been a program with great center play but to have two centers ranked at or near the top of their class show zero improvement is indicative of something-- perhaps the need of some better coaching. Our current big man coach was a guard, known more for his scrappiness than anything else as a player. It would be like an ex-QB coaching the defensive linemen. If you don't have the experience of having done what you're teaching, it's a tough sell.

I haven't watched any of these games, and honestly don't want to take too much out of them (being they are basically scrimmages). But from what I'm reading there has been no noticeable improvement in DC2. I am honestly surprised at how unpolished he appears to (still) be in the low post. I thought for sure coming out of high school he could almost immediately contribute there.

I haven't watched any of these games, and honestly don't want to take too much out of them (being they are basically scrimmages). But from what I'm reading there has been no noticeable improvement in DC2. I am honestly surprised at how unpolished he appears to (still) be in the low post. I thought for sure coming out of high school he could almost immediately contribute there.

The biggest fixable issue is him bringing the ball down and making himself small. It can be taught. It's maddening.

compeltely dissagree,

The potential is there for Rak and Dajuan, then need to build confidence and quickness in the 8 foot release like Warrick had, and learn when to make light contact vs hard learn how not to get called for a charge when a defender flops when to bring the ball low to dribble. The potential is there imo. Rak looks ahead of Dajuan right now to me. Maybe not in stats but in looks. Thats what a extra year experience can do. Love to see what Rak will do next year and Dajuan in 2.

Anyway good night !! And Go cuse!! Going to be a fun game towmorrow with BJ and Ron getting alot of minutes I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom