Incredible comeback for a young, relatively inexperienced team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Incredible comeback for a young, relatively inexperienced team

Just wait until Roberson is cleared. After having to sit out this trip, he's going to be out of his mind when he first enters a game. Fear The Beast! I can't wait to see him in Orange. I see him getting 15 minutes a game, maybe more. We need his presence on offense, defense and the glass.
I don't see him getting over 15 a game and not in for the end of game situations. He looks like he is going to fill the Grant role from last year. Grant did get 14mpg but wasn't in at the end (if it could be helped). And Grant's totals were helped by the JS suspension and I don't see Grant or CJ doing anything stupid like that.

At whose expense will Beast get minutes, Grant or CJ? And JB is going to want to start Roc at the 4.

I am so #*#+%+ pissed I couldn't watch these games

I don't see him getting over 15 a game and not in for the end of game situations. He looks like he is going to fill the Grant role from last year. Grant did get 14mpg but wasn't in at the end (if it could be helped). And Grant's totals were helped by the JS suspension and I don't see Grant or CJ doing anything stupid like that.

At whose expense will Beast get minutes, Grant or CJ? And JB is going to want to start Roc at the 4.

Roberson could get 15 minutes at the 4. CJ will be a 3 primarily. Roberson won't start but could very well get a lot of Roc's minutes at the 4. Roc will primarily be a 5, even with him starting at the 4.

Roberson will get 15 minutes a game if he can provide any back to the basket scoring. Rak and DC just aren't there yet. DC will get there eventually, Rak won't which is why Roberson will end up taking those minutes at the 4

By the 4th ACC game Rak will not start at the 4. You can't have both a 4 and 5 on the floor who can't score. It's playing 3 on 5. It drives me crazy.

Several big men improved under Fine. Off the top of my head: Seikaly, AO, Rick Jackson. We've never been a program with great center play but to have two centers ranked at or near the top of their class show zero improvement is indicative of something-- perhaps the need of some better coaching. Our current big man coach was a guard, known more for his scrappiness than anything else as a player. It would be like an ex-QB coaching the defensive linemen. If you don't have the experience of having done what you're teaching, it's a tough sell.

Over 35 years I would hope he had a few. But the fact is, there were always a lot of people complaining about the lack of development of this center or that center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When JB steps down and Hop takes over, the 1st phone call should be to Herman Harried.

Herm has long been a consideration but they have never felt he was dynamic enough to recruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roberson could get 15 minutes at the 4. CJ will be a 3 primarily. Roberson won't stat but could very well get a lot of Roc's minutes at the 4. Roc will primarily be a 5, even with him starting at the 4.
Well, I agree Roc will have limited time at the 4. But even so, I don't see Roberson getting more minutes as a frosh than BMK, DC2, or Roc and of course less than Grant and CJ. I don't see the 6th front court player getting 15 or over.

And to the larger point, his offensive prowess has no affect on ineffectual scoring out of the center position.

I am not counting on getting much from Roberson this year. It's not due to Roberson's lack of talent, but it's just the way JB is, and always has been. If he can prevent a freshman from playing he will. You need to earn his trust, mostly on the defensive end of the court. Unfortunately the wing position Roberson will be playing is one of the most difficult to pick up. Unless he is really really good I expect the same amount of minutes Grant got (with JS available).

I also hate to say this because I was as big of a Rak supporter that there was, but it almost seems as if he is digressing. Thankfully Baye has really stepped up his play. It looks like he has picked right up where he left off in the NCAA tournament. Even so, were once again not going to get much post production. When we can't count on someone like AO, Rick, Hak, to throw the ball into and get an easy basket, or an easy trip to the line, we usually struggle offensively. We have to rely too much on guards creating their own shot, or 3 point shots, and we don't have a good shooting team at all. I have a feeling we are going to be winning with our defense once again this season, which shouldn't be a problem since we looked in mid-season form at times. This may not be as great of a defensive team as last season because MCW gave us so much on top of that zone, but it's going to be damn close.

Finally it doesn't look like our low post scoring will be improved any time soon. The type of center JB seems to be recruiting these days are defense first guys. We were banking on DC2 being that low post threat, but he just doesn't look like he improved at all. It doesn't even look like he worked on anything other then his body. Hop should tell him when he catches the ball he has to take a breathe before he drops his right shoulder and acts as a bulldozer. Just catch the ball, check over both shoulders, keep the ball up, and make a power move. I was thinking the game was going to slow down for him in his Sophmore season, but he is still going WAY too fast.

Regardless this was an outstanding win tonight.

I am not counting on getting much from Roberson this year. It's not due to Roberson's lack of talent, but it's just the way JB is, and always has been. If he can prevent a freshman from playing he will. You need to earn his trust, mostly on the defensive end of the court. Unfortunately the wing position Roberson will be playing is one of the most difficult to pick up. Unless he is really really good I expect the same amount of minutes Grant got (with JS available).

I also hate to say this because I was as big of a Rak supporter that there was, but it almost seems as if he is digressing. Thankfully Baye has really stepped up his play. It looks like he has picked right up where he left off in the NCAA tournament. Even so, were once again not going to get much post production. When we can't count on someone like AO, Rick, Hak, to throw the ball into and get an easy basket, or an easy trip to the line, we usually struggle offensively. We have to rely too much on guards creating their own shot, or 3 point shots, and we don't have a good shooting team at all. I have a feeling we are going to be winning with our defense once again this season, which shouldn't be a problem since we looked in mid-season form at times. This may not be as great of a defensive team as last season because MCW gave us so much on top of that zone, but it's going to be damn close.

Finally it doesn't look like our low post scoring will be improved any time soon. The type of center JB seems to be recruiting these days are defense first guys. We were banking on DC2 being that low post threat, but he just doesn't look like he improved at all. It doesn't even look like he worked on anything other then his body. Hop should tell him when he catches the ball he has to take a breathe before he drops his right shoulder and acts as a bulldozer. Just catch the ball, check over both shoulders, keep the ball up, and make a power move. I was thinking the game was going to slow down for him in his Sophmore season, but he is still going WAY too fast.

Regardless this was an outstanding win tonight.

Good post. Agree. We'll see if/when the bigs improve come Nov. Hopefully Roberson will be fine and can get caught up. I think JB has changed his tune a bit with the youngins. If Roberson is killing it in practice then he'll play. JB will give the best players minutes, imo.

Good post. Agree. We'll see if/when the bigs improve come Nov. Hopefully Roberson will be fine and can get caught up. I think JB has changed his tune a bit with the youngins. If Roberson is killing it in practice then he'll play. JB will give the best players minutes, imo.

If Roberson was smart and wanted PT he should just think DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE. You have to earn his trust on that end of the court. I know Roberson is pretty dynamic offensively, but it will be interesting to see how his defensive game translates to the zone, and the college level.

If Roberson was smart and wanted PT he should just think DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE. You have to earn his trust on that end of the court. I know Roberson is pretty dynamic offensively, but it will be interesting to see how his defensive game translates to the zone, and the college level.

Roberson can be an elite defender and rebounder. He has all the tools and a nonstop motor. He also can block shots. His defense will not be an issue, it will be a standout strength.

The biggest fixable issue is him bringing the ball down and making himself small. It can be taught. It's maddening.

Sad to say its probably impossible at this point. He has an ingrained movement that he has practiced to perfection. Unfortunately its the wrong movement for D1 hoops. If he was raw, okay, you can teach new movements, but as I have seen over and over again in other sports as well, if fundamentals were never taught correctly its a lost cause.

Sad to say its probably impossible at this point. He has an ingrained movement that he has practiced to perfection. Unfortunately its the wrong movement for D1 hoops. If he was raw, okay, you can teach new movements, but as I have seen over and over again in other sports as well, if fundamentals were never taught correctly its a lost cause.

There is some truth in all that.

In DC's case, he does have the footwork fundamentals and the touch to be an effective low post scorer. Unlike Rak and Kieta, DC proved that he could do it at the HS/Prep level. That fact is also the problem, as far as DC is concerned. To my eye, DC is a "below the rim" type of athlete who cannot effectively get his shot up and off even against McGill level athletes, let alone high division 1 talent. If he does not get it stripped on the way up or off the dribble, he has it blocked or altered. Very tough to score like that when you can not out jump anyone.

I think the key to DC's development is to concentrate on positioning long before there is an entry pass to the post. He can not simply get his man on his back and call for the ball 8-10 feet from the basket. He must learn how to physically create space in the paint using his strength and back side to seal defenders away from his hands. The entry pass must then be to his arm's length and not to his body. He has to catch and power straight up through contact in one step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom