Injuries are again a major issue but | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Injuries are again a major issue but

There certainly appears to be merit to your post. The same/similar parallel as when our recruiting classes typically/annually rank near the bottom of the ACC and how many folks here seemingly dismiss the rankings as a bunch of malarkey, or along those lines.

Nobody dismisses it. Everybody recognizes the value of star ratings, and how that translates to performance [espcially for elite teams pulling in top classes, it's a bit murkier when the ratings trickle down to three stars].

What people "dismiss" [using your word] is when they see the player far outshoot their rankings with on-field play. That happens regularly on the defensive side, where "average" recruits have catapulted into all-conference caliber NFL prospects.

It hasn't happened nearly as much on the offensive side of the ball. But this notion that we are recruiting poorly is bunk.

Not a single carry for a backup RB is simply irrational. How many other teams do that?

I'll tell you how.

At some point late in the third quarter, the announcers showed that in our first 7 possessions, we had something like 6 three-and-outs.

How many offensive snaps did we have overall?

Piss poor offensive performance, with limited opportunities = no backup RB snaps.

I'll tell you how.

At some point late in the third quarter, the announcers showed that in our first 7 possessions, we had something like 6 three-and-outs.

Piss poor offensive performance, with limited opportunities = no backup RB snaps.
How about ND?

Nobody dismisses it. Everybody recognizes the value of star ratings, and how that translates to performance [espcially for elite teams pulling in top classes, it's a bit murkier when the ratings trickle down to three stars].

What people "dismiss" [using your word] is when they see the player far outshoot their rankings with on-field play. That happens regularly on the defensive side, where "average" recruits have catapulted into all-conference caliber NFL prospects.

It hasn't happened nearly as much on the offensive side of the ball. But this notion that we are recruiting poorly is bunk.

Yes, defensive side of the ball recruiting has been fantastic. To say people are dismissing that is inaccurate. This board loves what the defense has done for awhile now especially given how far into the D depth we’ve had to go. I don’t recall a single post complaining about our recruiting for the D in general except the need for DL size. Which is more than fair.

However since DB has been here the offensive side of the ball has been largely terrible. Yes we have what I think are two very good backup QB’s. That’s the first time in 7 years we’ve had depth there. We have zero depth anywhere else on the offense except RB except does the coaching staff even like them, they can’t even find the field.

Not only do we not have 2-3 solid WR’s we have no depth on the OL or TE position and apparently only depth on the RB position from this boards perspective but not the coaches perspective. After 7 years I don’t think it’s unfair to complain a little about recruiting. Many weeks every year we play teams with some of their best offensive players out. Then they roll out the backup and there’s very little drop off. Pitt was running their 3rd string RB for more yards than Tucker. I get that we’re banged up, have players out and guys are fatigued - that’s why their 3rd stringer can run all over us. But that’s also my point.

Nobody? Everybody? I'll diplomatically disagree with that, as I know I've read here at times how these rankings basically don't mean diddly.

I do agree on the defensive side, there has been more success, but the lack of it (weaknesses) on the offensive side is crippling, which has been on full display for 3 straight weeks, especially with the considerably tougher opponents we've faced.

At the end of the day, it seems that our typical recruiting rankings appear to align with where we have annually finished in our conference. Comprehensively, the team at this stage is 3-2, and likely to be dawgs against FSU and Wake. If we lose those, we head into our final game against BC at 3-4 where that final game at BC is a probable "pick-em" type game. We'll see how it plays out.

Last edited:
Babers recruiting is a major issue. He's not young enough to wait forever.

I think there's an unfortunate tradeoff between running a modern offense and having meaningful connections with giants fan high school coaches around here.

Babers recruiting is a major issue. He's not young enough to wait forever.

I think there's an unfortunate tradeoff between running a modern offense and having meaningful connections with giants fan high school coaches around here.

I honestly haven't any clue how he was ever labeled as some "offensive guru" type when he was brought here 7 years ago. I haven't seen anything close to it, but rather the complete opposite for the most part.

Wes good dog can't hunt. Just have him go back to Oline and call it a day. Mang seems to have regressed but at least he can catch. With Wes in the game two things are going to happen. We either get a penalty or the play gets blown up. I can't think of one positive play we have had as a result of Wes performing. Not one.

I questioned having this living, breathing penalty in waiting continuing to play and was told he was good in pass pro, which I don't buy AT ALL. I was also told I only saw the penalties and not the apparently amazing things he's doing on the plays he's taking off from committing said penalties- not buying that either, btw. When he's in the game we are straight up playing 10v12.

I honestly haven't any clue how he was ever labeled as some "offensive guru" type when he was brought here 7 years ago. I haven't seen anything close to it, but rather the complete opposite for the most part.
because every offense he was a part of or completely in charge of was great

I'll tell you how.

That explains yesterday, but doesn't explain why outside of Wagner our number 2 running back has 12 carries on the season during a season where there's been a lot of speculation that the start isn't 100%.

It's weird.

If our TEs can't slow down a pass rush at all, we should go ahead and eliminate the role and send an extra wr out there and make the defense cover him. As it is, we're giving the D an extra pass rusher by keeping a TE in the backfield who either false starts, holds or just misses the block completely.

Nobody? Everybody? I'll diplomatically disagree with that, as I know I've read here at times how these rankings basically don't mean diddly.

I do agree on the defensive side, there has been more success, but the lack of it (weaknesses) on the offensive side is crippling, which has been on full display for 3 straight weeks, especially with the considerably tougher opponents we've faced.

At the end of the day, it seems that our typical recruiting rankings appear to align with where we have annually finished in our conference. Comprehensively, the team at this stage is 3-2, and likely to be dawgs against FSU and Wake. If we lose those, we head into our final game against BC at 3-4 where that final game at BC is a probable "pick-em" type game. We'll see how it plays out.

BC lost to Uconn. In no way will that be a "pick em" game.

Two games ago, people were ready to run through a brick wall before the Clemson game, after reading that Mikel Jones article. Many believed we were going to beat them, and indeed we had a chance to do jsut that with 30 seconds left to go in the game.

Two games later, our coaches can't coach and they can't recruit.

The pendulum swings around here are beyond knee jerk. And I'm not directing this at you specifically, OC -- I'm just frustrated with the losses. And then coming to read the board makes it worse.

Last edited:
That explains yesterday, but doesn't explain why outside of Wagner our number 2 running back has 12 carries on the season during a season where there's been a lot of speculation that the start isn't 100%.

It's weird.

It is weird. I thought Price was going to be game ready, day 1. Kid has barely played. I like Allen's potential, but he's too small as a true frosh.

But even more importantly, our OL sucks. If Sean Tucker can't gain a yard plowing behind our interior OL, then nobody else will.

Yes, defensive side of the ball recruiting has been fantastic. To say people are dismissing that is inaccurate. This board loves what the defense has done for awhile now especially given how far into the D depth we’ve had to go. I don’t recall a single post complaining about our recruiting for the D in general except the need for DL size. Which is more than fair.

However since DB has been here the offensive side of the ball has been largely terrible. Yes we have what I think are two very good backup QB’s. That’s the first time in 7 years we’ve had depth there. We have zero depth anywhere else on the offense except RB except does the coaching staff even like them, they can’t even find the field.

Not only do we not have 2-3 solid WR’s we have no depth on the OL or TE position and apparently only depth on the RB position from this boards perspective but not the coaches perspective. After 7 years I don’t think it’s unfair to complain a little about recruiting. Many weeks every year we play teams with some of their best offensive players out. Then they roll out the backup and there’s very little drop off. Pitt was running their 3rd string RB for more yards than Tucker. I get that we’re banged up, have players out and guys are fatigued - that’s why their 3rd stringer can run all over us. But that’s also my point.

Our OL sucks. I expressed concern about it before the season, and was dismissed by a group of posters who thought it would be solid. I think sometimes, our fans mistake "good" for "good enough," when it comes to evaluating our players. And that has been a problem.

So has TE. So has WR depth, although I will contend that [1] Gadsden has emerged [and please, nobody come here pedantically correcting me that he is a "TE"], and [2] I like a few of the younger components such as Pena, Alford, and Jones [who has been out injured after that dirty play committed by the Purdue player], and think they comprise a solid nucleus at WR. Also excited to see what Donovan Brown can do next year, after how he performed in the spring game.

But I certainly agree that the drops are inexcusable. And I'm very disappointed in the development [or lack thereof] from a player like Jackson, and Cooper. But the cupboard is hardly as bare on offense as you are claiming. Really, we are a pair of injuries [GS, Jones] away from being potent. And if we could ever fix the damn OL...

Last edited:
Concerned that the staff told Tucker that he would get all the carries unless he wanted to come out. May be a reason he did not transfer. Agree Oline play was bad but there were holes that he missed.
I do hope next year we use more than one back.
He was never going to transfer.

Concerned that the staff told Tucker that he would get all the carries unless he wanted to come out. May be a reason he did not transfer.
That wouldn’t make Tucker a team-first player now, would it? Whatever deal they struck, I hope it’s a lesson learned. Just ask them what their $$ ask is and see if it can be matched. No more playing time promises!

The WRs are definitely weak but DMarcus Adams would have had another TD yesterday if not for a great play by Pitt DB. Odd that he was never targeted until CDRW went in against ND. Jones looked solid before he went down so with a trio of Gadsden-Jones-Adams the room isn't awful but it's not great

The WRs are definitely weak but DMarcus Adams would have had another TD yesterday if not for a great play by Pitt DB. Odd that he was never targeted until CDRW went in against ND. Jones looked solid before he went down so with a trio of Gadsden-Jones-Adams the room isn't awful but it's not great
anyone other than cooper or jackson should be playing as they both have had ample chances

Our OL sucks. I expressed concern about it before the season, and was dismissed by a group of posters who thought it would be solid. I think sometimes, our fans mistake "good" for "good enough," when it comes to evaluating our players. And that has been a problem.

So has TE. So has WR depth, although I will contend that [1] Gadsden has emerged [and please, nobody come here pedantically correcting me that he is a "TE"], and [2] I like a few of the younger components such as Pena, Alford, and Jones [who has been out injured after that dirty play committed by the Purdue player], and think they comprise a solid nucleus at WR. Also excited to see what Donovan Brown can do next year, after how he performed in the spring game.

But I certainly agree that the drops are inexcusable. And I'm very disappointed in the development [or lack thereof] from a player like Jackson, and Cooper. But the cupboard is hardly as bare on offense as you are claiming. Really, we are a pair of injuries [GS, Jones] away from being potent. And if we could ever fix the damn OL...

I can’t disagree with anything here or should I say, I do agree with what you’re saying. I think it’s possible we have nucleus of WR’s that continue to develop. My fear is we’ve said that every year and I understand that this time it may in fact be true.

I was worried about the OL as well and have been afraid to say too much. GS has made them look really really good. They haven’t held up well to passing plays, I think they’ve actually done better on running plays at times, which probably sounds weird to say. My reasoning is they seem to get blown up on run plays where we’ve sold out that’s what we’re doing. Early in the season when we were throwing or running on any given play and the D had no clue, the OL was able to block better which is also understandable. I also think Tucker is missing some holes and not taking the right angles at times. I’ve noticed that for 4-5 games at least and there were a couple plays yesterday the light bulb kind of went off. The OL is obviously being run over and through at times but there are plays where there are spots he’s not seeing, getting to, etc. IMO.

As far as the cupboard bare part. It just feels at times since DB has been here that we’re always, just as much a few injuries away from mailing the season in if people get hurt on O and yet other teams we play seem to find a way to even just remain competitive.

If our TEs can't slow down a pass rush at all, we should go ahead and eliminate the role and send an extra wr out there and make the defense cover him. As it is, we're giving the D an extra pass rusher by keeping a TE in the backfield who either false starts, holds or just misses the block completely.
Agree completely and actually mentioned it to Dino on his show several weeks ago

Two games ago, people were ready to run through a brick wall before the Clemson game, after reading that Mikel Jones article. Many believed we were going to beat them, and indeed we had a chance to do jsut that with 30 seconds left to go in the game.

The pendulum swings around here are beyond knee jerk. And I'm not directing this at you specifically, OC -- I'm just frustrated with the losses. And then coming to read the board makes it worse.

When I stated "pick-em", it was under the premise of being likely dawgs against FSU and Wake, and if we indeed lose those two games as projected, we head into that final ACC game with a 3-4 conference record and a 5 game losing streak. Additionally, who knows where we are physically (from an injury standpoint) heading into that affair, not to mention mentally. And, taking into account whether Shrader is still banged up, reaggravates/nursing injuries, etc. As with anything, time will tell...

That Mikel Jones article no doubt was inspiring. Speaking for myself, I remained grounded, however. Similar in affect to what a lot of the mainstream media were thinking. Yeah, no doubt it was great being 6-0, and not being so since 1987, and ranked #14 in the polls, but were we truly for real, or was it simply a mirage.

Our schedule to that point had been favorable, Uconn and Wagner are very bad football teams. UVA isn't good either, and it took a last second FG in the Dome to escape with a W. Purdue handed us the game at the end with those 30 yards worth of misconduct penalties that ultimately set up our winning score. And, NCST coming into our game highly banged up after having to deal with both Clemson & FSU, while we basically had 3 weeks to prepare for them. Furthermore, the Wolfpack came into our game after just losing their highly regarded starting QB during the Seminole game.

As many in the media pointed out, let's see how Syracuse fares moving forward starting with Clemson as the schedule gets much more difficult. As it has played out, we have lost 3 straight, and we have looked extremely bad (offensively speaking) in the process and seemingly spiraling downward.

Unfortunately, the "why not us" montra has turned into the perennial 'here we going again' type feeling we've all grown accustomed to, and the late season swoons attached to it. Just more of the same. This, IMO, is what is so darn frustrating. Presumably, magnified even more this year by thinking we might actually be contenders, when all the while, just as the media believed ( especially with early season advantageous schedule) being nothing more than pretenders.

“Sucks” is a little strong. That means 1/2 the ACC OL’s suck. People complain about the OL and the OL penalties. There’s only one guy responsible for that and it’s Schmidt. Maybe it’s time for him to go.

Good post. At the end of the day, yesterday was the one brutal loss that hurts because they didn’t have their one man show playing(granted we didn’t have Shrader) and our D gave us a great chance to win. Losing at Clemson as closely as we did and then losing to ND after seeing what they did to Clemson last night are not exactly disasters. We are all frustrated because we see this collapse year after year.

I’ve been harping for a few years how we use so many schollies for WR’s and still never have any to throw to. Our recruiting on the offensive side has been suspect and my guess is, that’s where DB is largely involved.

We have some wins in recruiting here and there but proportionally we have far more bad misses than “diamond in the rough” scenarios. I said this same thing a few weeks ago and was told we’re stocked with young talent. I’ve heard that since Shafer.

How many NFL guys are on our roster?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom