Injuries | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Injuries

My head is all over the place with our team. It does seem like OLine should be a strength next year. That should cure a lot of ills.

I think the in season injuries on defense - and that’s where most of them are - are the result of them being on the field more. Haven’t seen many in season injuries on offense (TD and JJ being big exceptions).

Next year we’ll have a much better offensive product on the field in terms of players. The OC needs to start pulling his weight though

I want postseason transparency in to the injuries. It’s getting ridiculous. I can understand in game or practice injuries. Those happen. It seems like we have an unusual amount of things happening away from the field. Is that during strength and conditioning? Is it from a bar fight? What the heck is going on? Help us fans understand.

I want postseason transparency in to the injuries. It’s getting ridiculous. I can understand in game or practice injuries. Those happen. It seems like we have an unusual amount of things happening away from the field. Is that during strength and conditioning? Is it from a bar fight? What the heck is going on? Help us fans understand.

HIPAA.

If a player doesn't want his injury info released to the public, there's not a lot you can do about it.

One problem that is a root cause of injuries is the over use of our star players.

Syracuse does not have many of them. When they do, they shoulder immense responsibility, yield a ton of minutes and have zero depth to take some of the load off. Dungey dealt with this but it was overlooked because he also took unnecessary risk. Cisco dealt with this last year. So did McKinley Williams. Same with Ishmael.

I worry about Sean Tucker. Clearly he’s extremely talented and has the tools to be the face of this program. But due to the overall deficiencies of the program I see him taking too much of the responsibility and wearing down and getting injured.

Depth. The problem is depth. We’ve had some bad luck with injuries, particularly at certain positions. However, if one could compare us historically to other programs my hunch is that we’d be about average, maybe a tick above, in terms of two-deep time lost to injury.

SU’s long-standing, historical issue is that we have next to zero depth. So when we lose a starting OL or two, for example, it’s a catastrophe, while other programs plug-and-play, with much less disruption.

Depth. Depth. Depth. Lots of teams have injuries. True we seem a little more cursed. But depth overcomes a great deal. Recruiting has to improve. Fortunately, I think the 2021 class is a really good class. The coaches have to work to develop the guys we have, lock up the ‘21 class, and work like hell to land a solid ‘22 class. It’s an uphill battle at this point, and we need every bit of luck and advantage we can get: the dome; finally putting a few guys like Cisco in the NFL (others?); a supportive fan base; a demonstrated successful Covid response; players keep their %#€£ together in front of TV cameras; and a few more wins.

I want to push back on this post a little. No former Syracuse coach has filled out a roster as nicely as Dino. Not Shafer, not Marrone, not Robinson. He has done it better than most everyone.

Are we small? Definitely at DT, and perhaps our slot guys ...but they are kinda supposed to be. Our TE's are not small by any standard. They pass the look test every time. If there's any glaring weakness, it's Dino's allergy to recruiting real DT's. And it's been proven time and time again it can be done at Syracuse

Are we injured because of more physical teams? Not really. Many of our injuries along the line happened before the season even started. Cisco got hurt during warm-ups. Coley? I don't know if he has set foot on the field yet.

Jordan, Linton, Cantin-Arku (got dinged-but he's as big of a linebacker we've had), Thompson got dinged (Freshman starter) all because of game action. And Tommy got hurt cuz someone fell on his foot, not because he got blasted by someone tougher

No worries on pushing back, I'm aware your view is simply your opinion, as is mine. I'm not convinced how impressive Dino's alleged accomplishment is, considering the company you reference, specifically, Robinson & Shafer. Most here, I think, would agree that these were two of our worst coaches in recent history, if not overall history. So, it's not really a high bar/water mark in that regard. Ultimately, IMO, 'filling out' a roster successfully (or nicely as you put it) has to translate to wins on the field, or else it means absolutely nothing. Results matter.

This isn't the first year in Dino's regime that injuries haven't been an issue. Therefore, your "before the season started" argument relative to the O line this season isn't fixed to this year, but more of an aggregate matter. Moreover, I simply stated that it wouldn't be unreasonable to argue that a lack a of physical prowess could be a contributing factor in the inadequate play, not outright.

My head is all over the place with our team. It does seem like OLine should be a strength next year. That should cure a lot of ills.

I think the in season injuries on defense - and that’s where most of them are - are the result of them being on the field more. Haven’t seen many in season injuries on offense (TD and JJ being big exceptions).

Next year we’ll have a much better offensive product on the field in terms of players. The OC needs to start pulling his weight though
This is one of those pay the price now for success later seasons

Lots of reps for backups and young guys, with people emerging

I can only assume your fandom goes back about 15 years because from about 1985 to 2001 we had fuller rosters and some big LBs (not as tall necessarily, but certainly thicker).
True die hard follower since college days ...around 2001. I was a fan as a kid growing up before that, but I wasn't nearly as committed to following the team then

Is anybody else sick of counting seasons as “lost” because of unsustainable amount of injuries? I’m starting to see a lot of posts again saying no team could deal with the amount of injuries we’ve had. Well sure that is true, but outside of a miraculous 2017 where we had very few injuries, this program has been a MASH unit on an annual basis. I think it’s 3 things.

1. It’s the nature of the sport. Football is a dangerous game. I don’t think a lot of people watch other games closely. Everybody deals with a ton of injuries. Maybe everyone on our level, but some are right there with us.

2. Physically over matched. I wouldn’t think this is a reason, but I’ve seen this same story too many times to not consider it a reason we suffer an unsustainable amount of injuries on an annual level.

3. bad luck. I believe you make your own luck so I really don’t buy into this 100% either. Maybe it’s the turf? I’d say maybe it’s the S&C , but we saw the same exact thing under the last 2 staffs. Maybe it’s the combination of all 3, but Who knows, we could just be cursed?

it takes time to build depth, give this man time and he will get us there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom