Interesting Article (Early ACC Expansion) | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Article (Early ACC Expansion)

Very good read. Sad to say Jake C. wanted Syracuse to be football only. Imagine if Syracuse had joined when FSU joined?

Very good read. Sad to say Jake C. wanted Syracuse to be football only. Imagine if Syracuse had joined when FSU joined?

People would have flipped their back then about leaving the Big East. Much moreso than today.

People would have flipped their **** back then about leaving the Big East. Much moreso than today.

True, given the state of BE hoops in the late 80s/early 90s SU leaving would have been gigantically huge, and wildly unpopular among the fanbase.

That being said, Jake knew which way the winds were blowing. Certainly by the mid/late 90s he should have gone hat-in-hand to the ACC and tried to get SU admitted.

I was in Raleigh last week...lots of chatter about ND on the radio.

It just goes to show you that Syracuse always was meant to be in the ACC. Looking back and knowing that Syracuse came just shy of membership twice makes me more solidified in that opinion, not to mention knowing the athletic landscape of the ACC with its strengths in basketball and lacrosse.

True, given the state of BE hoops in the late 80s/early 90s SU leaving would have been gigantically huge, and wildly unpopular among the fanbase.

That being said, Jake knew which way the winds were blowing. Certainly by the mid/late 90s he should have gone hat-in-hand to the ACC and tried to get SU admitted.
I doubt that would have been Jake's call. Above his pay grade, in the cliché of the day. It would have been the BOT's call, with input from Buzz Shaw.

But, Tranghese did try to make a deal with the ACC in the mid- to late-nineties, with the goal being a football confederation.

While the history lesson was most certainly a good read, the Notre Dame to ACC comments are nothing more than the ramblings of an ACC homer.

While the history lesson was most certainly a good read, the Notre Dame to ACC comments are nothing more than the ramblings of an ACC homer.
A homer whose son happens to be the lax coach at ND.

john-stewart-clapping.gif

I'm sure John Desko had a ton of input on SU's decision to head into the ACC...

I doubt that would have been Jake's call. Above his pay grade, in the cliché of the day. It would have been the BOT's call, with input from Buzz Shaw.

But, Tranghese did try to make a deal with the ACC in the mid- to late-nineties, with the goal being a football confederation.

Well something tells me that if Jake made an impassioned pitch to Buzz and the BOT for ACC membership in the 90s they would have listened intently. The guy did have some clout.

Unfortunately, as much as I respect the work Jake did during his distinguished tenure as SU AD, I'd be hard pressed to call anything he did in his later years as "impassioned". He seemed to be in full blown "it is what is is" mode for a decade.

I live in NC and I never hear much about ND (except that everybody hates them and thinks they are overrated). Everybody is also pretty smug about the ACC and its future. Nobody seems to think anybody is going anywhere. However, having that cynical New Yorker's DNA, I keep thinking that there is no chance the ACC stands pat for very long. It would be interesting to see what would happen if there was only one spot left.
Things have a way of changing rapidly. We saw what happened to Chapel Hill when Dean retired. Imagine the ACC without Coach K and Williams - different place.

Completely agree - the question is, would the Big East have fared even worse without us to this point?

If we left, I'd imagine BC and Pitt would have been clawing at the door. VPI probably never gets good and rots. You'd be left with WVU, Miami, and the sisters of the poor.

john-stewart-clapping.gif

I'm sure John Desko had a ton of input on SU's decision to head into the ACC...
My point was that his father, the former ACC commissioner, would love to see his son's school join his (father's) conference.

Certainly, no coach (JB ;)) has any real input into conference affiliation.

Yeah. Just because he was AD at ND & Virginia and commissioner of the ACC...it's not like he would have any more insight on this than an SU fan on a bulletin board. He's just your typical former AD at ND and VA and former ACC commissioner ACC homer. Nothing more. Dime a dozen.

Corrigan was ND AD before he was ACC commissioner. No one in the country has more total knowledge of the ACC and ND, and how they would potentially fit togther, than does Corrigan.

Well something tells me that if Jake made an impassioned pitch to Buzz and the BOT for ACC membership in the 90s they would have listened intently. The guy did have some clout.

Unfortunately, as much as I respect the work Jake did during his distinguished tenure as SU AD, I'd be hard pressed to call anything he did in his later years as "impassioned". He seemed to be in full blown "it is what is is" mode for a decade.
why would jake think any different than that the big east rocked and had no reason to be worried???

incredible hoops, and he just built a top knotch football conf with Fn perennial NC contender miami, a riser in vpi, a (yes perennial) top 25 SU, a rock solid bc after Coughlin and then with TOB, historical programs wv and pitt, and a couple of bottom feeders in nyc and philly.

confs were just being formed and solidified after the death of the indy era.

swofford came in during the summer of 03 and said 'hey, bout u boys joining us?' why??? because he could.

jake agreed.

because he couldnt do anything else.

end of story.