Interesting ESPN article on our recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Interesting ESPN article on our recruiting

Im sure its pertaining to what we already know.

Essentially, it goes on to say that Syracuse is still in the mix for multiple elite level players and although it is thought that their primary target at this time is for another guard, they are also in the mix for a forward or 2. They say that Cuse has several scholies available and that although they have a good class coming in as it stands that they will likely add at least one more and if in fact they land more they will have one of the best classes in the nation.

All pretty much common knowledge for fans who have been keeping an eye on recruiting.

Most interesting thing I took from it is that they say its a possibility we get 2 of the forwards were after. I was always under the impression it was only one. After orange madness I think Gbinije can be really effective as a guard in our system, and with Sutherland then potentially Rak or coleman leaving it would make sense to have 4 forwards like last year. Who knows maybe CJ blows up and adds a perimeter shooting dimension to his game and leaves. Either way the idea of possibility of adding both Roberson and Vonleh then Jordan and Ennis, throw in two good apr and program guys with potetial obokoh and johnson, it has to be an absolute best case scenario that any of us could've imagined.

This should help a bit...basically saying that 'Cuse is in great shape player wise; that we are in the running for 1 or 2 of forwards and that Jordan is the guard we want...but with so much talent on hand...not necessary to get any of these kids (from article in brief):

"Syracuse also has more flexibility from a positional standpoint as well, because their trademark 2-3 zone eliminates typical defensive positions and allows them to put the best possible combination of talent, length and athleticism on the floor. In other words, while they’d ideally like to grab another combo-forward and probably another combo-guard in this class, if they can land two of those talented three forwards don’t expect them to turn anyone away.

What it all comes down to is this – Syracuse has done a stellar job in landing three commitments in the Class of 2013, but still remains heavily involved with four ESPN 100 products. If they can grab one of those four, they’ll likely solidify another top 25 class. But any two of the four would quickly catapult their class among the nation’s best in 2013."

Out of curiosity, did ESPN actually write an article about SU without mentioning Bernie Fine?

I think we will look back in 2-3 years and call 2010-2013 to be four of SU's best years of recruiting ever. I think we are not just getting top talent, but quality all-around basketball players ... no more 'athletes with potential'... and I think all of our recent 3/4 star recruits are total gems, true sleeper recruits.

I personally truly believe that MCW and CJ Fair are two of the best college basketball players in the country ... yet both were relatively middle-of-the-pack recruits when they committed that some on this board would be hissing & booing at if recruited this year. Heck, it took another year of shooting up the rankings and making the McD's AA team for some of the cynics to finally realize that MCW might actually be a good player, despite whatever arbitrary # he was in the stupid 'recruit rankings' at the time.

10-12 years ago the program was in a funk, none of the player-projects were developing, gambles weren't paying off, and the talent level was not up to 'elite program' level. That all seemed to change over the next two years with Carmelo/Warrick/Gmac, and ever since then the staff has done an incredibly remarkable job spotting true talent rather than relying on "expert" rankings. Apart from perhaps Mookie, I can't think of a single recruit in the last 10 years that didn't at least exceed expectations (with many vastly exceeding them, re: Rautins, Jackson, Onuaku).

I look at BJJ, Jerami Grant, Cooney, (and potentially Patterson) and see that same type of under-rated talent. As a hardcore SU bball fan, I am very excited about the future of the program.

I think we will look back in 2-3 years and call 2010-2013 to be four of SU's best years of recruiting ever. I think we are not just getting top talent, but quality all-around basketball players ... no more 'athletes with potential'... and I think all of our recent 3/4 star recruits are total gems, true sleeper recruits.

I personally truly believe that MCW and CJ Fair are two of the best college basketball players in the country ... yet both were relatively middle-of-the-pack recruits when they committed that some on this board would be hissing & booing at if recruited this year. Heck, it took another year of shooting up the rankings and making the McD's AA team for some of the cynics to finally realize that MCW might actually be a good player, despite whatever arbitrary # he was in the stupid 'recruit rankings' at the time.

10-12 years ago the program was in a funk, none of the player-projects were developing, gambles weren't paying off, and the talent level was not up to 'elite program' level. That all seemed to change over the next two years with Carmelo/Warrick/Gmac, and ever since then the staff has done an incredibly remarkable job spotting true talent rather than relying on "expert" rankings. Apart from perhaps Mookie, I can't think of a single recruit in the last 10 years that didn't at least exceed expectations (with many vastly exceeding them, re: Rautins, Jackson, Onuaku).

I look at BJJ, Jerami Grant, Cooney, (and potentially Patterson) and see that same type of under-rated talent. As a hardcore SU bball fan, I am very excited about the future of the program.
Cooney wasn't underrated by coaches. He was a very highly sought after recruit from a lot of programs. Just because Rivals didn't rate him as high doesn't mean he's underrated talent.

Rivals didn't rate him as high doesn't mean he's underrated talent.
Lots of places didn't rate him very high, that's sorta the definition of "under-rated"

Lots of places didn't rate him very high, that's sorta the definition of "under-rated"
but not underrated by coaches. we worked our asses off to land him

but not underrated by coaches. we worked our asses off to land him

His videos are very impressive and as you mention plenty of teams were after him. I think perhaps the biggest plus is that extra year of perspective. I like having a guy come in who is a bit older and had to change his original college plans because Indiana was overbooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom