Interesting question | Syracusefan.com

Interesting question

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
It is difficult to answer because we aren't in their shoes but;

If you were the parent of a current PSU football player, would you want your son to play this weekend if Paterno is allowed to coach?

I really think I would not want them to and would do my best to convince them why not.

If you were the parent of a current PSU football player, would you want your son to play this weekend if Paterno is allowed to coach?

I really think I would not want them to and would do my best to convince them why not.

Playing for JoePed, cheering for a team that he is coaching, going to a game that he coaches, shaking his hand, is all an endorsement that he did nothing seriously wrong.

If Paterno is still coach, I'd tell him all that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing - and encourage him to take a stand and refuse to play. If Paterno is done before then, I'd tell him to stick by the school.

Only if there were no potential ramifications for ongoing scholarship status. If my kids planned to transfer, or if they were graduating, then maybe they could "boycott" without worry. "Making a statement," now that the cat is out of the bag and the shnitt will hit the fan, is not worth screwing up your education and the rest of your own life.

as a former college football player who's team was involved with a scandal i can tell you you play for a variety of reasons. Our scandal was hazing, made national news, but anyway you play first because you love it. Second you play for the guys on your team, third might be the coach or the institution. Bottom line here is PSU up bad with how this situation was handled. However the professors and the students are the university, not the administration or football coach. (although if an argument could be made for one person being an institution, Joe Pa, would certainly be it) Otherwise i would let my kids play. You don't turn your back on your teammates.

If I were in that position, I would also try to convince him not to play. But I would make it clear it is his decision. I understand there would probably be so many conflicting feelings - what he put into the program, the work he put in just to get there, (most likely) love for his school (as nebulous as that is), and obviously everything that has come out in the last week. But as I said, I would make it totally clear it would be his decision.

I would not criticize them deciding to not play, but I certainly would not advocate the decision to them. This is their lives, most will never play the game after college, and that time is both precious and limited. I just don't think it's their responsibility to cause any more damage to the team in an effort to try and make right what high-brow adults have screwed up all to hell.

I would tell my son to play. He loves playing football (I would assume) and he's getting a free education for it. At this point, it's about his future (NFL or whatever), and he did nothing wrong. Keep doing your job on the football field and in the classroom.

I'd like to think my son would understand why his head coach isn't as good a person as he claims to be. But if not, I'd be sure to hammer that point home, and also let him know that praising the man wouldn't be happening when he came back home for visits.

He plays as long as he wants to. His teammates are his brothers if you will.

My son would never attend PSU in the first instance ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom