Interesting Retweet by Coach Hopkins | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Retweet by Coach Hopkins

Hopkins should explore any head coaching opportunity presented to him. He'd be stupid not to.

For the 1000th time on this board, Hop was all set to take the USC job last year... until Florida Gulf Coast got hot ... and they gave it to Enfield (who finished dead last in the Pac 12 this year). He clearly is not averse to accepting an offer that "feels right" to him (as the USC job did). Charlotte and the Bonnies just did not pass the "feel-right" test.

I'll never understand why everyone thinks that a head coaching job is more attractive than the coach in waiting position at SU is???

If USC had offered I completely understand why he might have taken that, but why in the world would Hop run off to take the head job at places like B.C., Charlotte, St. Bonaventure, Eastern Michigan or Va Tech? He has a great job here at SU and will eventually take over our great program.

Unless he absolutely can't stand to work under JB as the #2 any longer, I don't know how it would be in his best interest to go take one of those rebuilding jobs at a crap program that either hasn't been relevant in years and years or has no history to begin with. Taking a job like that will not prepare him for the job he is ultimately hoping to land in...complete apples and oranges.

In addition, there is always the risk that he falls on his face trying to rebuild one of those programs and then this job may not be here waiting for him when JB leaves.

Good luck Hop and where ever you go coach em up and win some games! Dudes not begging thus he's a chooser and can pick X amount of places/jobs he has interest in...sitting on the proverbial cat bird seat he is.

For the 1000th time on this board, Hop was all set to take the USC job last year... until Florida Gulf Coast got hot ... and they gave it to Enfield (who finished dead last in the Pac 12 this year). He clearly is not averse to accepting an offer that "feels right" to him (as the USC job did). Charlotte and the Bonnies just did not pass the "feel-right" test.
Incredible coincidence Enfield hires Tony Bland and Jason Hart ;)

Good luck Hop and where ever you go coach em up and win some games! Dudes not begging thus he's a chooser and can pick X amount of places/jobs he has interest in...sitting on the proverbial cat bird seat he is.
It will be interesting. His kids play Lacrosse. His wife (for NCAA reasons) just bought into a sports building in Syracuse, which was likely a significant dollar amount to invest. What ever he and his family decide is best for them, so be it. Mike Hopkins owes absolutely nothing to SU. He has more than paid SU and its fans back, many times over.

agreed. If he feels he need's to go, he should. I love Hop, hope he stays, but I'm tired of worrying whether he will or not. Doesn't look like JB is ready to retire. Also, can you imagine is JC comes back? JB will never retire! Jimmy looks like he's got a little Paterno in him. The good Paterno.

Marquette makes more sense than Boston College if the Golden Eagles are interested. Hopkins coaching in the Big East, and in a market that would support his team like Marquette's fanbase does would be appealing. I can't see Hopkins going to Boston College and going head to head with Syracuse/JB 2 times a year. If Marquette was smart they would go for an up and comer like Hopkins who knows the Big East rather than Ben Howland.

I have to wonder if JB would like to see Hop leave as well. That coach in waiting thing is a difficult situation for all involved imo and maybe for both coaches it would just be better to move on. JB is staying and Hop knows it.

If Hop leaves, does that mean JB goes back to running practice? Or does Red take over that duty?

Hop being here, certainly makes JB's life much easier. Is Red ready to take that step?

Hopkins should explore any head coaching opportunity presented to him. He'd be stupid not to.

Yeah, I wouldn't begrudge him a chance to coach his own team. I'd like to figure out if he's any good before handing him the keys here. If Boeheim blew it this year, so did Hopkins and company. I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to get some fresh, non-SU blood in here for an assistant too.

Selfishly, I'd want Hop to coach in an area that he and Boeheim aren't recruiting in. I understand it's apples/oranges but still...the guy is a helluva recruiter and I wouldn't underestimate him.

If Mike leaves , he's not coming back. He is not the type of person who would make a contract and commitment and jump at another opportunity if it seems better. The contract he would get would be 7 years , so unless Beohiem intends on staying that long, a new coach would have to be hired.

If Mike leaves , he's not coming back. He is not the type of person who would make a contract and commitment and jump at another opportunity if it seems better. The contract he would get would be 7 years , so unless Beohiem intends on staying that long, a new coach would have to be hired.

As much as I love Hop, Syracuse will be fine with or without him. When Boeheim retires, coaches will be stepping over their mothers to get this job. Money will not be an issue going forward either.

I've said this before and get yelled out of the room - but what evidence is there that Hop is such a great coach outside of his recruiting? Look at the production we are getting out of the players he is responsible for developing...

I mean I have no clue whether he'd be good or bad and I don't think anyone else really knows either.

If he does go I assume it means JB is going to stay until he gets another NC or just can't physically do it anymore. I do however worry about how easy it is to recruit when you are from the perspective of a 17 year old kid - really really really old and perpetually in your last year of coaching.

If Mike Hopkins leaves he would still be Dr. Gross's first call when JB retired. JB is coaching thru the 2016 season because of his Olympic obligation he gave to Coach K. Marquette is an appealing job its a better job than USC for hoops and he could make the Final Four there and he would know the league. I am sure he would be interested if they contacted him.

As much as I love Hop, Syracuse will be fine with or without him. When Boeheim retires, coaches will be stepping over their mothers to get this job. Money will not be an issue going forward either.
Did you watch Mike play for the Orange ? Diving for every lose ball , playing with fire and intensity, that's how his players will play. When people say are team is tired , I think our coach is tired.

If Mike Hopkins leaves he would still be Dr. Gross's first call when JB retired. JB is coaching thru the 2016 season because of his Olympic obligation he gave to Coach K. Marquette is an appealing job its a better job than USC for hoops and he could make the Final Four there and he would know the league. I am sure he would be interested if they contacted him.

If he knew the job would be his in 2016, I don't think he'd leave - 2 years is nothing at this point. that timeline makes sense but seems to me people are just throwing darts trying to figure out when he'll leave.

The old saying is you don't want to be the guy that replaces a legend. You want to be the guy that replaces the guy who took over for the legend.

Ex. Bill Belichick took over for Pete Carroll who took over from Bill Parcells. Urban Meyer took over for Ron Zook who took over from Steve Spurrier. Roy Williams took over for Matt Dougherty who took over from Dean Smith/Bill Guthridge.

Their are plenty of more examples. I just think taking over for a legend is tough unless you are truly ready.

If he knew the job would be his in 2016, I don't think he'd leave - 2 years is nothing at this point. that timeline makes sense but seems to me people are just throwing darts trying to figure out when he'll leave.
I am not saying JB is retiring after the 2016 season I am just saying he is going to be coaching atleast 2 more years because of his Olympic commitment. JB may go thru the 2020 season for all I know. I am just saying Hopkins knows JB is committed atleast 2 more years at Syracuse so he may like the Marquette job if they are interested.

CousCuse said:

Your opinion or do you know Hop personally?

I'll never understand why everyone thinks that a head coaching job is more attractive than the coach in waiting position at SU is???

If USC had offered I completely understand why he might have taken that, but why in the world would Hop run off to take the head job at places like B.C., Charlotte, St. Bonaventure, Eastern Michigan or Va Tech? He has a great job here at SU and will eventually take over our great program.

Unless he absolutely can't stand to work under JB as the #2 any longer, I don't know how it would be in his best interest to go take one of those rebuilding jobs at a crap program that either hasn't been relevant in years and years or has no history to begin with. Taking a job like that will not prepare him for the job he is ultimately hoping to land in...complete apples and oranges.

In addition, there is always the risk that he falls on his face trying to rebuild one of those programs and then this job may not be here waiting for him when JB leaves.
A reason to go someplace else is to hone his skills. If he has a desire to play man-2-man defense or use a large rotation, he won't get a chance to practice these approaches at SU. Then there is the in game coaching. A lot of things he can't do now. Could he fail, yeah that is a possibility but how long will SU give him when he take over. Say JB leaves tomorrow and Hop takes over and gets Ennis and Grant to stay. With the recruits coming in, big things will be expected. So what happens if falls back to the middle of the pack in the ACC? How many years adjusting does he get? Going someplace else and failing can be blamed on other reasons than the coach. At SU, if he is set up right, then its tough to ignore if the team slips and does so for more that a year or 2. I'm not advocating that he should leave but I see benefits if he does. As for staying for the length of a contract, staying 3 years on a 5 year contract is ok and it would seem that JB will be around at least that long.

Your opinion or do you know Hop personally?
I don't know him personally. I do think that the AD who would sign him would look into his eyes and ask him, " You are not going to leave here before your contract is up if Syracuse asks you to come back?". Do you think a major school wants to get stepped on? And I don't think he would break his word.

I would bet that any university Mike would sign with would make it very costly and punitive for him to leave for SU. It has to be an issue for any university that wants him as well as for Mike to consider before committing also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom