Interesting Retweet by Coach Hopkins | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Retweet by Coach Hopkins

every late march, the arrow tilts towards jay wright being the next coach of Syracuse instead of Hop...every april it swings back.

every late march, the arrow tilts towards jay wright being the next coach of Syracuse instead of Hop...every april it swings back.

Not happening.

Different sport, but do you think Texas fans still pine over Will Muschamp? They went out and got a proven head coach in Charlie Strong and I think are content with how it worked out... I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Hop take a head coaching job, and get experience. I just hope the next guy we bring in is more Rob Murphy like, than Louis Orr, with his recruiting experience... Heck, it could actually be Louis Orr!

The old saying is you don't want to be the guy that replaces a legend. You want to be the guy that replaces the guy who took over for the legend.

Ex. Bill Belichick took over for Pete Carroll who took over from Bill Parcells. Urban Meyer took over for Ron Zook who took over from Steve Spurrier. Roy Williams took over for Matt Dougherty who took over from Dean Smith/Bill Guthridge.

Their are plenty of more examples. I just think taking over for a legend is tough unless you are truly ready.
So Hop could leave now and fulfill most/all of his HC contract at another school while JB finishes and a quasi-fall guy is hired. Then come back home. The obvious risk for Hop is what if the new guy at SU is successful and the opportunity never comes?

So Hop could leave now and fulfill most/all of his HC contract at another school while JB finishes and a quasi-fall guy is hired. Then come back home. The obvious risk for Hop is what if the new guy at SU is successful and the opportunity never comes?
I didn't say Hopkins should leave I am just saying some people don't want to replace a legend. I have no clue what Hopkins thoughts are on what I said. Belichick didn't want to replace Parcells in NE or NYJ that I know. Hopkins is sitting on a golden lottery ticket than will eventually payout if he stays at Syracuse. I wouldn't mind Hopkins waiting for JB to retire, but I wouldn't be sad if he decided to go after a good job if he was pursued.

As much as I love Hop, Syracuse will be fine with or without him. When Boeheim retires, coaches will be stepping over their mothers to get this job. Money will not be an issue going forward either.
Who do you think we get? Is Billy Donovan a possibility or is he out of reach at this point?

The old saying is you don't want to be the guy that replaces a legend. You want to be the guy that replaces the guy who took over for the legend.

Ex. Bill Belichick took over for Pete Carroll who took over from Bill Parcells. Urban Meyer took over for Ron Zook who took over from Steve Spurrier. Roy Williams took over for Matt Dougherty who took over from Dean Smith/Bill Guthridge.

Their are plenty of more examples. I just think taking over for a legend is tough unless you are truly ready.
What, you didn't want to use a certain school in DC as an example?;)

I didn't say Hopkins should leave I am just saying some people don't want to replace a legend. I have no clue what Hopkins thoughts are on what I said. Belichick didn't want to replace Parcells in NE or NYJ that I know. Hopkins is sitting on a golden lottery ticket than will eventually payout if he stays at Syracuse. I wouldn't mind Hopkins waiting for JB to retire, but I wouldn't be sad if he decided to go after a good job if he was pursued.
I didn't mean to imply that. Was just saying that the timing could be right for Hop to take another HC job (if a good opportunity) and serve it in good faith, AND still get the SU gig without the burden of directly replacing JB. Based on his actions with USC last year, it appears that he at least agrees with the first part.

Would he do the same if he thought JB's retirement was imminent? I don't think so.

I don't know him personally. I do think that the AD who would sign him would look into his eyes and ask him, " You are not going to leave here before your contract is up if Syracuse asks you to come back?". Do you think a major school wants to get stepped on? And I don't think he would break his word.
ha, that's not how this game is played. if hop wins 10 games his first two seasons that same AD would throw him out on his can. the ad should actually HOPE that hop is still attractive enough to be sought after by the top tier schools like SU. that'll mean he did a good job for however long he was there and left it in better shape than he found it.

If we had just booted JAB and his entire staff a week ago, we could have had Bruce Pearl. Oh Lord

:bat::rolling:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...emon-deacons-reach-vcu-rams-coach-shaka-smart

"One issue that could hinder Marquette's chances to land Smart is the fact that the Golden Eagles have both an interim president and athletic director."

Or any other guy.
Sounds like they need a package deal. Do coaches do that? Huddle up with ADs and make deals on the side with U presidents? That seems to be all rage with recruits and NBA FAs. May as well extend it to the coaches and admin.

Hop needs to be a head coach but at a good situation and not in a mid major league. I don't consider the Big East mid major. But expect our recruiting to take a major downturn if he leaves. He's the engine that makes it run.

Jay Wright deserves to be in The Coaches' League. Now that league is the ACC with the Pac 12 making a decent case with all it's up and comers.
Hopkins has been loyal, loyal, loyal but he has been paid, paid, paid. It's okay for him to go somewhere for experience and money. Every other profession does it.

Go to Marquette...get a few years in. If he is winning Cuse should rehire him...best of both worlds to SU.

Jay Wright deserves to be in The Coaches' League. Now that league is the ACC with the Pac 12 making a decent case with all it's up and comers.
Hopkins has been loyal, loyal, loyal but he has been paid, paid, paid. It's okay for him to go somewhere for experience and money. Every other profession does it.

Jay Wright is pretty loyal to Philly...however, when Boeheim leaves he should be called (assuming Hop is not coach in waiting)

Go to Marquette...get a few years in. If he is winning Cuse should rehire him...best of both worlds to SU.

If you are the Marquette AD -- or any AD considering hiring Hop -- why would you bring him in, knowing that he is most likely going to back to SU in two or three seasons?

Frozen said:
If you are the Marquette AD -- or any AD considering hiring Hop -- why would you bring him in, knowing that he is most likely going to back to SU in two or three seasons?
Exactly...hop will be the next coach here.

Because nothing is ever set in stone. And if you could have a guy that comes in and turns your program around, your hope would be that even if he does leave, you can continue the momentum he started with your next hire.

Iv come to the realization that Hop needs to do whats best for him. Iv selfishly wanted him to stay, but its hard to say when JAB will be ready to step down. But, teams will be skeptical of hiring him for two years thinking that he will run back to Syracuse when JAB does decide to call it quits. On another note, I think Jay Wright has absolutely done what he has to be in a position to be hired at Syracuse. I mean just look at what he says after playing syracuse and how much respect he has for us. I think he knows exactly what he is doing, there really is no other reason why he would talk so highly of Syracuse. If hop was out of the question and we had to go in a different direction the first three calls I would make would be Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, and Shaka Smart. I would add Hoiburg in here, but he is an ISU alum and seems destined to become a NBA coach sooner then later. These four coaches have turned around their respective programs and made them contenders year after year. Give them Syracuse facilities and fans and I believe they would be even more successful then they are right now. Maybe Im just wearing orange glasses, but thats the way I see it.

Regarding the thought of a quasi-fall guy to set up Hopkins return...

What is said fall guy "G-Robs" the program???

(Blood curdling scream)

Why not ? - I think he'd be an awesome fit. And coming from miserable Philadelphia the transition to Syracuse might be pleasant.

I have a friend high up in the Nova regime so I am very familiar with the situation down there. It would really surprise me if that happened. We'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom