Interesting Retweet by Coach Hopkins | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Retweet by Coach Hopkins

Give Jay Wright our resources over what he currently has. Could be interesting.

Chip would lose it in a Jay Wright-Tony Bennet coached game.

The Carrier Dome in itself is a huge recruiting draw, much more than most fans here would believe.

Hopkins is NOT going to take the BC job. It is going to be Tommy Amaker or if BC was smart Jim Calhoun/coach in waiting duo a la SMU with Larry Brown. The Clowns aren't going to hire Hopkins. Marquette is different because he could get a nice payday and be in a league he would familiarity with.

You sure about that. I hang with a few BC boosters who claim he's on the list. They say he signed with an agent recently which tells me he's getting antsy. The Calhoun sitch was a surprise to them and he is the one dropping the story in the press.

As of December 16, 2013 Jay Wright was reportedly earning $2.5 million 3rd behind Coach K ($9,682,032) and Jon Thompson III ($2.7 Million) for private schools. As of April 8, 2013 his salary was reported as $2.29 million that was good for 10th highest paid DI coach.
overpaid.jpg

Syracuse is not hiring a guy in their 60s.

and wright's window is closing.

if its not Hop, it will be a guy with a real job, who wants to upgrade to Syracuse and the ACC.

mid-major coaches need not apply.
the Orange will be tapping a BCS level coach...who will look at Cuse as a promotion.

a guy like sean miller, who wouldnt come because hes a pitt guy, but i hope you get my point.

sorry, i forgot i was on the hoop board. none of you will...

Isn't Mike "Prince Charles" Hopkins closing in on 60?

BC folks I know say the top guy is Skerry from Towson. He's a Mass guy and former assistant at URI, PC and Pitt.

Hop signing with an agent could be about endorsements, as well as making sure DG pays him well enough to keep waiting.

BC folks I know say the top guy is Skerry from Towson. He's a Mass guy and former assistant at URI, PC and Pitt.

Hop signing with an agent could be about endorsements, as well as making sure DG pays him well enough to keep waiting.

His agent is also an SU guy.

His agent is also an SU guy.

from a large agency that guys at BC suddenly know about. I'm not saying the dots connect but for a BC guy to be telling me about the inner workings of Mike Hopkins it makes me open my eyes. If I was Mike, BC is not a bad gig. Very cosmopolitan city, he'll get paid very well, expectations are not crazy high, and good recruiting area.

Again, not sure anything happens but where there is smoke there is fire.

from a large agency that guys at BC suddenly know about. I'm not saying the dots connect but for a BC guy to be telling me about the inner workings of Mike Hopkins it makes me open my eyes. If I was Mike, BC is not a bad gig. Very cosmopolitan city, he'll get paid very well, expectations are not crazy high, and good recruiting area.

Posters here say Beohiem wants to go at least 5 years more. Mike should go hard for the BC job , he could do well there fast as the team has 6-7 returning players.

Posters here say Beohiem wants to go at least 5 years more. Mike should go hard for the BC job , he could do well there fast as the team has 6-7 returning players.
yeah.

Syracuse, Duke, UNC, Lville, Pitt

good luck fighting for 6th...or hope you pull a virginia and win the league 1x every 30 years or so.

hes not going to bc.

Problem is, if he goes somewhere else and somehow fails. Would he still be a canidate when JB does step down?

I have to wonder if JB would like to see Hop leave as well. That coach in waiting thing is a difficult situation for all involved imo and maybe for both coaches it would just be better to move on. JB is staying and Hop knows it.
remember the YES special with Kay and the foxhole question of who he'd want in there with him and he said GMAC not Hopkins? Wonder if that irked Hopkins. Maybe he will stay until Mike leaves and GMAC gets the nod. I know crazy talk.

Potentially there in the future: Rich Pitino

I really like Hop, but if he leaves is there any chance we can get Bernie back as the bigs coach? ;)

remember the YES special with Kay and the foxhole question of who he'd want in there with him and he said GMAC not Hopkins? Wonder if that irked Hopkins. Maybe he will stay until Mike leaves and GMAC gets the nod. I know crazy talk.

Both players were tough but in a foxhole I'd want to be with the better shooter as well. ;)

I don't pretend to know Boeheims and Hopkins relationship but Hop has some tough decisions ahead of him if/when he gets offers. BludOrange made a good point about going somewhere else and failing and that is a huge key because if he was in the wrong situation support wise it could hurt him for X amount of years and cost him that SU HC job in the future.

What would be wild is if Boeheim decided to coach somewhere else.

If Bc was smart they would make amaker their top choice, and give him whatever he wants.
Because he did so well at Seton Hall and Michigan? Amaker would be foolish to leave Harvard. No pressure there - none. And he has shown in the past that he doesn't like to deal with the media and treats press conferences as if they were poison. He just likes the coaching atmosphere - and that's all he needs to do at Harvard. Perfect spot for him.

Hopkins leaving for a head coaching job elsewhere could:
1-Make many SU fans happy by seeing him fulfilled as a head coach
2-Make SU fans happy who believe he should be a head coach somewhere else before SU.
3-Make SU fans who believe Hop should never be SU head coach happy by wishing he never comes back.

KaiserUEO said:
yeah. Syracuse, Duke, UNC, Lville, Pitt good luck fighting for 6th...or hope you pull a virginia and win the league 1x every 30 years or so. hes not going to bc.

Why won't he go to BC?

Why won't he go to BC?
Nobody at BC cares about basketball its a football/hockey school. BC hoops would be perfect for an up and comer like Pat Skerry mentioned here by Full Rebar or Jim Calhoun/coach in waiting duo.

Hopkins doesn't want to go to a job that could kill his stock he is sitting on a golden ticket at SU if he is going leave it has to be a good job. BC is a coach killing job its not like Marquette where hoops are the primary sport, he would get paid at a good level higher than at SU likely, fan support at MU is huge as they fill the Bradley Center, they have a NC i 1977, they have good history, and they would be in a conference Hopkins knows well. BC is a rebuild for him and I wouldn't want to rebuild as my first job when I can just wait and be the next SU coach.

CNY and college hoops community in general love good gossip, accuracy be damned. CNY and college hoops community are of late awash in Mike Hopkins rumors.

The only people who can answer any of this with any certainty are Mike Hopkins, and presumably his wife. My take is that Mr. Hopkins, like so many of us still in central NY, have accepted some degree of wage stagnation and lack of career opportunity in order to remain in the area for sundry reasons (proximity to family, kids are happy in their schools, etc) rather than make the move.

This reminds me of all of the speculation and drama of the high school recruiting circuit. We can read the articles, we can hear the whispers of those in the know (like the "connected insider" who told me there's "1 million reasons for Mike to stay, that will become available to him on JB's retirement if Mike is still at SU". At the end of the day, it's none of my business, I guess.

Those predicting the date JB's retirement remind me of those predicting the date of the end of the world- none of them really have a clue, but some day one of them is going to be right.

Potentially there in the future: Rich Pitino
I like that idea. That must really make Hoppy nuts if he thinks that is a possibility. Also, the BC job is almost identical to the Minny job, and it looks good for young master Pittino to have success there , so why not Mike at BC?

CNY and college hoops community in general love good gossip, accuracy be damned. CNY and college hoops community are of late awash in Mike Hopkins rumors.

The only people who can answer any of this with any certainty are Mike Hopkins, and presumably his wife. My take is that Mr. Hopkins, like so many of us still in central NY, have accepted some degree of wage stagnation and lack of career opportunity in order to remain in the area for sundry reasons (proximity to family, kids are happy in their schools, etc) rather than make the move.

This reminds me of all of the speculation and drama of the high school recruiting circuit. We can read the articles, we can hear the whispers of those in the know (like the "connected insider" who told me there's "1 million reasons for Mike to stay, that will become available to him on JB's retirement if Mike is still at SU". At the end of the day, it's none of my business, I guess.

Those predicting the date JB's retirement remind me of those predicting the date of the end of the world- none of them really have a clue, but some day one of them is going to be right.
He has already outlasted several football coaches, a large number of presidents as well as the Mastadon and the Wooly Mammouth.

Last edited:
Hopkins will not go to BC. He will not take a job where once a year (twice? thrice?) he will be matched again JB. Someone above called BC a football/hockey school. I call them a hockey school. Hoops is awful - terrible talent, no support, no fans, etc. Football is barely supported. The only team that has any sort of buzz or coverage in the local media is hockey. If that doesn't sound like a no-win situation, I don't know what is.

mike's been an assistant here since '95 . patience is one thing but at some point you have to question his drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom