Interesting Retweet by Coach Hopkins | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Retweet by Coach Hopkins

Not speaking directly to you BO, I know you just posted the article... but, didn't Smart turn down UCLA last year? Why would he go to Marquette?

Wisconsin native and perhaps about 3 million other reasons.

Wisconsin native and perhaps about 3 million other reasons.

Wow, didn't realize that. Actually thought he was from Ohio... Just looked it up, he went to college in Ohio

I have a friend high up in the Nova regime so I am very familiar with the situation down there. It would really surprise me if that happened. We'll see.

I am sure it's a cozy spot to be coach and he's done very very well. I know he can recruit kids out of Philly...but what if that starts getting tough given the confines of the new catholic school conference? I think it could get very tough and Syracuse>>>>>>Villanova even without that difficulty.

I am sure it's a cozy spot to be coach and he's done very very well. I know he can recruit kids out of Philly...but what if that starts getting tough given the confines of the new catholic school conference? I think it could get very tough and Syracuse>>>>>>Villanova even without that difficulty.

You never know but sometimes coaches get very entrenched in a community and don't want to leave. Look at Izzo, K, JB etc. It's not SU's style to pay top dollar for coaches and even though SU is a better program Wright might be content to live on the Main Line. He's got a pretty good gig.

Regarding the thought of a quasi-fall guy to set up Hopkins return...

What is said fall guy "G-Robs" the program???

(Blood curdling scream)

That's why I didn't refer to it as a Win-Win-Win scenario. It would actually be a Win-Win-Lose, with the loser either being SU (Hop stays wherever he goes), Hop ("interim" HC succeeds and he never gets an SU offer), or the fans (program tanks before Hop can be brought in).

Regarding Hop to Marquette: if that's such a plum job, why did they just lose their HC to Virginia Tech? Would the Hokies have made the cut of "good situations" for him to go to?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...emon-deacons-reach-vcu-rams-coach-shaka-smart

"One issue that could hinder Marquette's chances to land Smart is the fact that the Golden Eagles have both an interim president and athletic director."

Or any other guy.

Something has been going on there. The president left after only 2 years as did the AD, now their basketball coach... Tough for any new coach to feel secure with an interim president and AD. They have to be throwing big $.

If you are the Marquette AD -- or any AD considering hiring Hop -- why would you bring him in, knowing that he is most likely going to back to SU in two or three seasons?

you put in some penalties like he goes to Syracuse he has to pay X amount and cuse bball has to play 2 or 3 games at Marquette over the next 5 years

you put in some penalties like he goes to Syracuse he has to pay X amount and cuse bball has to play 2 or 3 games at Marquette over the next 5 years

Ya, I dont see Syracuse going out of their way to pay a 3 million dollar buyout to get Hopkins. He would have to have an out exclusively for Syracuse like Hoiburg has at ISU with the NBA. Hoiburg has an NCAA buyout of like 2-3 million, but only 200,000 to go to the NBA. The thing is, nobody will bring in Hopkins with a small out clause for when Syracuse comes calling because then you are essentially hiring Hopkins for a 2-3 year window which is useless. Thats why I believe if he goes to another school, the job for Syracuse opens up to anyone when JAB retires.

If Mike leaves , he's not coming back. He is not the type of person who would make a contract and commitment and jump at another opportunity if it seems better. The contract he would get would be 7 years , so unless Beohiem intends on staying that long, a new coach would have to be hired.

He could have a clause in his contract that says he has an out if the SU job opens and he is wanted. It's been done before.

Did you watch Mike play for the Orange ? Diving for every lose ball , playing with fire and intensity, that's how his players will play. When people say are team is tired , I think our coach is tired.

One thing our coach is NOT, is tired - ask anyone who knows him.

every late march, the arrow tilts towards jay wright being the next coach of Syracuse instead of Hop...every april it swings back.

You can keep Jay Wright. He's done nothing. Give me Beilein before he wins one in Michigan. Hop can be his coach-in-waiting.;)

supp said:
You can keep Jay Wright. He's done nothing. Give me Beilein before he wins one in Michigan. Hop can be his coach-in-waiting.;)

But he dresses like a million bucks. So there's that.

One thing our coach is NOT, is tired - ask anyone who knows him.
Good for him. But without a doubt , a team is the extension of the coach, so when they say 20 year old guys are tired, it seems odd.

Syracuse is not hiring a guy in their 60s.

and wright's window is closing.

if its not Hop, it will be a guy with a real job, who wants to upgrade to Syracuse and the ACC.

mid-major coaches need not apply.
the Orange will be tapping a BCS level coach...who will look at Cuse as a promotion.

a guy like sean miller, who wouldnt come because hes a pitt guy, but i hope you get my point.

sorry, i forgot i was on the hoop board. none of you will...

The harder Hop works the easier it is for Beohiem and the longer he stays. The last many years of high level success are directly attributable to Mike's hard work. He has to take a job somewhere else for his own sanity. Go to BC and beat JimmyB and show Orange fans what they had and lost.

As of December 16, 2013 Jay Wright was reportedly earning $2.5 million 3rd behind Coach K ($9,682,032) and Jon Thompson III ($2.7 Million) for private schools. As of April 8, 2013 his salary was reported as $2.29 million that was good for 10th highest paid DI coach.

Wright almost left Villanova for a higher paying position but he loved Villanova too much. Watch this interview with Seth Davis.

Hopkins is NOT going to take the BC job. It is going to be Tommy Amaker or if BC was smart Jim Calhoun/coach in waiting duo a la SMU with Larry Brown. The Clowns aren't going to hire Hopkins. Marquette is different because he could get a nice payday and be in a league he would familiarity with.

If Bc was smart they would make amaker their top choice, and give him whatever he wants.

Give Jay Wright our resources over what he currently has. Could be interesting.

Chip would lose it in a Jay Wright-Tony Bennet coached game.

I thought they were brothers!

I can't believe Cuse fans on this board are making googly eyes at Jay Wright. ( Even though he does look like George Clooney).

I was surfing through twitter and came across this recent retweet by Coach Hop. Is this a sign of what might come? Could Hop be looking at the BC job?

Coach Mike Hopkins retweeted
16h

Ambition Daily @AmbitionDaily

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.-Steve Jobs #Ambition
That really is an interesting comment...Did Boeheim make a promise or two and not honoring it to get to this point.? Coaching philosophy changing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom