Internicola | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Internicola

@Wfschrec - Do other states have better talent than NJ? Of course. No one is arguing that. But to say that we shouldn't be recruiting an area that is within a 6 hour drive of the school campus is silly. Should we put all our eggs in the NJ basket? Hell no. But we can put 1 or 2 in that basket and it won't effect our recruiting other areas at all. We should definitely be focusing on NY, TX, FL, PA, GA, OH and even CA as our main recruiting areas but NJ belongs up there with them because every year there is a good amount of players coming out of there going to major D1 schools and it is within reasonable driving distance which is a big sell for families and friends.

I tried to stay out of this thread as long as I could, haha. But here it goes...The 2013 class in NJ is one of the weakest in a while at least from a "star" standpoint. I agree that Syracuse isn't in a position (yet) to win recruiting battles for these kids.

However, my biggest concern (and one that I haven't been shy sharing with this board) is the fact that Syracuse isn't even recruiting the kids they could compete for. Check out this article from everyone's favorite homer Dohn: http://tinyurl.com/chrl2on

You don't see Syracuse until the last sentence of the article. 10 years ago, Syracuse would have been mentioned by every single one of these kids. These kids all have offers from schools we should be able to compete with, with regards to recruiting. NJ is a tricky state as the coaches are a different breed. You can't decide one year you are going to recruit NJ and the next you aren't. Syracuse cannot afford to not recruit NJ. It makes no sense considering how many kids from NJ go to SU every year.

IMO, it is amazing that we aren't in the running for any kids in NJ. For gods sake, Jeune's head coach is an SU alum!

ps...why are we playing USC in NJ again? ;)

Actually looking at them is stupid if you think you will beat those schools out for those kids at this point ... its hard enough to win against ND in our own state ... honestly? And again my point is they might have a few top 30 guys in NJ but yet they aren't even their highest rated recruits, like the guys they are pulling from PA, FL et al ... I am not sure why people have a hard time grasping the insanity of the NJ argument. There are guys in the top 100 in some states that would be in the NJ top 25, period ... do I need to put this on a white board or something?

And what does it say that Laviano a NY kid we didn't even offer is a higher rated recruit then all but one of the "Top 30" NJ kids that RU landed? Sorry but Marrone and company are doing the right things and this will pay dividends down the road .. if we start winning the battles for AE and EO and start nailing down every big name city kid and still pulling good players from GA, TX, FL and OH then Jersey can fall off into the ocean. I have said it before and I'll say it again ... don't care what state a kid comes from as long as he improves the program and wants to be at SU ... what perplexes me is this idiotic insistence that NJ will cure our woes ...
look at ru last several classes and in particular last year and stop being myopic!

I tried to stay out of this thread as long as I could, haha. But here it goes...The 2013 class in NJ is one of the weakest in a while at least from a "star" standpoint. I agree that Syracuse isn't in a position (yet) to win recruiting battles for these kids.

However, my biggest concern (and one that I haven't been shy sharing with this board) is the fact that Syracuse isn't even recruiting the kids they could compete for. Check out this article from everyone's favorite homer Dohn: http://tinyurl.com/chrl2on

You don't see Syracuse until the last sentence of the article. 10 years ago, Syracuse would have been mentioned by every single one of these kids. These kids all have offers from schools we should be able to compete with, with regards to recruiting. NJ is a tricky state as the coaches are a different breed. You can't decide one year you are going to recruit NJ and the next you aren't. Syracuse cannot afford to not recruit NJ. It makes no sense considering how many kids from NJ go to SU every year.

IMO, it is amazing that we aren't in the running for any kids in NJ. For gods sake, Jeune's head coach is an SU alum!

ps...why are we playing USC in NJ again? ;)

Well, considering it is written by Dohner the Boner, the Cuse part is going to be mentioned waaay down the list.

I agree that we need to attempt to hit NJ harder. This is certainly undeniable. Last year NJ provided 50 devision 1 caliber football players. New York produced 23. However, we also cannot deny the talent in the midwest we are starting to pull in as well. Ohio produced three times the signees New Jersey did, with 159 signees. Michigan produced 67. Pennsylvania produced 83.

The prior year: NY had 29, NJ 45, OH 144, MI 59, and PA 60. This says nothing of FL and GA. I would maintain that we need to allocate time on NJ to lay down a solid foundation, but we shouldn't allocate the vast majority of our time considering NJ produces the least amount of talent outside our own state.

Well, considering it is written by Dohner the Boner, the Cuse part is going to be mentioned waaay down the list.

I agree that we need to attempt to hit NJ harder. This is certainly undeniable. Last year NJ provided 50 devision 1 caliber football players. New York produced 23. However, we also cannot deny the talent in the midwest we are starting to pull in as well. Ohio produced three times the signees New Jersey did, with 159 signees. Michigan produced 67. Pennsylvania produced 83.

The prior year: NY had 29, NJ 45, OH 144, MI 59, and PA 60. This says nothing of FL and GA. I would maintain that we need to allocate time on NJ to lay down a solid foundation, but we shouldn't allocate the vast majority of our time considering NJ produces the least amount of talent outside our own state.

This is a good breakdown. Here is the way I look at it:

I think it is safe to say that we are recruiting Michigan because of Wheatley, Georgia because of Adkins, and Ohio because of Shafer (I may or may not be right on this one). What happens when/if those guys move on? Meanwhile, NJ will always be in our backyard. While I have never said we should EXCLUSIVELY recruit NJ talent, that is why it cannot be overlooked and must be recruited every year.

look at ru last several classes and in particular last year and stop being myopic!

I don't need to ... the fact is their record has been comparable to ours ... not sure what your point is ... you are the myopic one ... NJ this NJ that ... I see more garbage on this board bemoaning the fact we aren't effectively recruiting NJ than I do the fact that we might have possibly grabbed a top 20 QB out of a state we have never had a real good history in (Texas) ... an SEC sized lineman that had recently received an SEC offer and had interest from other major programs (Williams from Texas A&M) ... we are in the hunt for a four star DL and a RB with an offer sheet more impressive than most RBs we have recruited in the past decade (Edwards pulling offers from numerous ACC schools) and what do we get ... oh NJ ... NJ ... I see proposals of taking some of our best recruiters like Wheatley and sending him to NJ just because we have sucked in that state .. a guy making inroads in states like Ohio that have a lot more talent ... are you kidding me? And I am being myopic ... this board is a broken record. The fact is I hear two things about NJ on this board ... this boar dand not any other ... a.) Our relationships in NJ are severely damaged ... b.) We need to step up efforts in that state ... sorry but right now we can't afford to spend time placating some coaches with hurt feelings and frankly give me 5A talent from GA, TX and FL any day over NJ ...

I think it is safe to say that we are recruiting Michigan because of Wheatley, Georgia because of Adkins, and Ohio because of Shafer (I may or may not be right on this one). What happens when/if those guys move on? Meanwhile, NJ will always be in our backyard. While I have never said we should EXCLUSIVELY recruit NJ talent, that is why it cannot be overlooked and must be recruited every year.

That is a fair assessment however if Shafer, Wheatley and Adkins leave where you recruit would be dependent upon who you replace them with ... if you grab a guy with ties to NJ then send him ... if you get a guy with ties to FL you send him to Florida ... Marrone is doing what he should be doing ... leveraging the strengths of the guys he has on staff and its starting to bear fruit ... in time this is only going to get better and better ... IMHO he is doing the best thing for his program based on who he has on staff ...

Then why hit it harder? Why not hit the other states we are having success in harder? The only issue I have is people keep saying hit it harder ... which is great if you have the resources but right now we don't and hitting that state "harder" would compromise areas with more talent where we are having success and that is my beef with the NJ argument.

@Wfschrec - Do other states have better talent than NJ? Of course. No one is arguing that. But to say that we shouldn't be recruiting an area that is within a 6 hour drive of the school campus is silly. Should we put all our eggs in the NJ basket? Hell no. But we can put 1 or 2 in that basket and it won't effect our recruiting other areas at all. We should definitely be focusing on NY, TX, FL, PA, GA, OH and even CA as our main recruiting areas but NJ belongs up there with them because every year there is a good amount of players coming out of there going to major D1 schools and it is within reasonable driving distance which is a big sell for families and friends.

I'm not saying don't recruit it ... what I'm saying is that "hitting it harder" or allocating more resources there would hurt the areas we are having success in ... in states with an abundance of talent ... let Moore keep working NJ ... let him build relationships and recruits will come ... don't sacrifice our presence in the midwest, FL or GA to do it ... period ...

I see proposals of taking some of our best recruiters like Wheatley and sending him to NJ just because we have sucked in that state .. a guy making inroads in states like Ohio that have a lot more talent ... are you kidding me?

I was the one who suggested this but I think it was misunderstood. I did not mean take Wheatley off of areas he is currently recruiting. What I meant was using him in NJ (or any other state for that matter) on a case by case basis. If he really is the program's best recruiter, SU should be creative with how they use him.

I was the one who suggested this but I think it was misunderstood. I did not mean take Wheatley off of areas he is currently recruiting. What I meant was using him in NJ (or any other state for that matter) on a case by case basis. If he really is the program's best recruiter, SU should be creative with how they use him.

Believe it or not you weren't the only one who said it ... however if I have an ace recruiter I'll send him to a state he is familiar with that puts out 100+ D1 prospects instead of 30-40 ... odds are better you will get a good player that way. I'd prefer we give Moore time there and let Wheatley keep racking up recruits elsewhere. How HS kids could turn away a guy who played at SU ... had a phenomenal college career and ended up playing in NFL for several seasons including as a Jet in the Meadowlands is beyond me.

Moore is a guy who has lived and breathed the SU experience and the NFL experience and honestly I think he will start making inroads there he just needs time. I like where the staff is headed ... I think when its all said and done Allen will be the best QB we have had at SU since DNabb ... in a season we could be staring at Ogundeko, W Williams, J Bromley and Eric Crume along with Donnie Simmons giving us a vaunted DLine ... I like the Lynch, Vigile and Washington trio along with Spruill ... and our secondary might end up being one of the better secondaries we have ever seen at SU with Morgan, Reddish, Mungwa and Ford ... I have high hopes for this squad ...and I almost forgot about Eskridge who might be the best of the bunch.

I know that Moore is not all that familiar with the HS football scene in NJ but that will change .. he will grow and learn and in time I think he is going to be a better than effective recruiter ... I hope I am right about that ... because if he is our presence there will change ...

Let me preface this by saying I agree that we need to do a better job recruiting NJ... And I get your preference for NJ football...that being said

We have four coaches with ties to Michigan/Ohio/Midwest Shafer, Wheatley, Morrison and Daoust.

We have two coaches with ties to Georgia Adkins and HCDM.

When they blow out the whole staff, then I'll worry about our recruiting in Michigan and Georgia drying up. My point is the doomsday to our recruiting in Michigan and Georgia that keeps getting mentioned is IMHO overblown.

And the argument that NJ will always be a place for us to get recruits doesn't hold water. By your own posts we haven't recruited well in NJ since P was let go. That's 8 - 9 years ago now...If NJ was such a constant for SU, it wouldn't have mattered that P was let go...but it did

Someone way smarter than me once told me, make hay while the sun is shining...well we are making hay in Georgia, Michigan, Texas, Florida and NY because the sun is shining there...

Every time someone brings up a Jersey recruit this site turns into a giant dick measuring contest at whose state is better at HS football.

WHO CARES.

Get the best players we can get regardless of what state they are from.

Just thought I'd make it easier for everyone and link the last time we had this conversation. That way we don''t have people saying the same thing in 20 different posts. Hmmm wait a minute!
http://syracusefan.com/threads/nj.28093/

Every time someone brings up a Jersey recruit this site turns into a giant dick measuring contest at whose state is better at HS football.

WHO CARES.

Get the best players we can get regardless of what state they are from.

Ironically this was a case of a Florida recruit committing to Rutgers somehow once again trigger the whole ... we need to recruit Jersey better nonsense ... Haha imagine the irony ... A Florida kid commits to the NJ state school and us getting "beat out" by Rutgers somehow translated to someone insisting we don't recruit NJ well enough ... I think you know where I am going with this ...

I'm wondering if this guy is related to the LB from Ft. Lauderdale that we are recruiting. In the article it says he is Brooklyn born. I'm guessing it's Nick's grandfather since the name Internicola is not that common:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...a-governor-rick-scotts-voter-purge/?mobile=nc
RU is having a tough recruiting year. They lost their head coach and were forced to hire as a replacement a failed dimwit because of money constraints. They lost almost their entire staff and had to hire on the cheap with mostly fired incompetent BC coaches. As has been well documented, the new staff has gotten throttled trying to recruit NJ this year. And of course, relegation has taken a toll as well.

All the momentum from a strong class last year is gone.

They are reduced now to taking players like this, a basketball player who hasn't played football in 3 years.

Linkage

I'm not saying don't recruit it ... what I'm saying is that "hitting it harder" or allocating more resources there would hurt the areas we are having success in ... in states with an abundance of talent ... let Moore keep working NJ ... let him build relationships and recruits will come ... don't sacrifice our presence in the midwest, FL or GA to do it ... period ...

I agree 100% with you. Focus on the better states. In no way should we sacrifice what our stud recruiters are doing in the areas they are doing best to focus on NJ. But to completely ignore NJ is silly. It produces enough talent that we can take someone like Moore and let him focus on NJ and maybe MD as well. If anyone is saying we should take Weatley and toss him in NJ and take him out of Ohio and Michigan and wherever else he is recruiting, well then that is stupid. I was just going from the point of people saying we should 100% ignore NJ and just focus on other areas, and that is where I disagree. I LOVE what we are doing in TX, GA, FL, OH, and even to a lesser extent PA and thats not even mentioning what we are doing in NY. I do think NJ should get a teeny tiny little bit of love though.

ah oh. Another NJ kid off the board

Komoko Turay of Newark committed to Rutgers (offer) over James Madison (offer).

ah oh. Another NJ kid off the board

Komoko Turay of Newark committed to Rutgers (offer) over James Madison (offer).
perfect - clearly this is all the definitive proof each side of the great New Jersey debate will need to further solidify their position

RU is having a tough recruiting year. They lost their head coach and were forced to hire as a replacement a failed dimwit because of money constraints. They lost almost their entire staff and had to hire on the cheap with mostly fired incompetent BC coaches. As has been well documented, the new staff has gotten throttled trying to recruit NJ this year. And of course, relegation has taken a toll as well.

All the momentum from a strong class last year is gone.

They are reduced now to taking players like this, a basketball player who hasn't played football in 3 years.

Linkage
not sure about last years class and momentum----that can change in a flash---when you have talent and leadership.change of coaches does not change talent. flood will prove to be a better game day coach than schiano.

Hopefully after this year we won't be discussing Rutgers ever again. We will be talking about our new conference mates.

Running my mouth about VT and Miami is going to be much more fulfilling.

Hopefully after this year we won't be discussing Rutgers ever again. We will be talking **** about our new conference mates.

Running my mouth about VT and Miami is going to be much more fulfilling.

Yup, unfortunately the Grob Era has left us slumming it rivalry-wise with the likes of Rutgers and Uconn. Can't wait til those days are behind us.

Yup, unfortunately the Grob Era has left us slumming it rivalry-wise with the likes of Rutgers and Uconn. Can't wait til those days are behind us.

Who were our rivals when Grob showed up?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Who were our rivals when Grob showed up?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I should have used the word "peers". If we hadn't had the worst 5 year span in our history, we wouldn't have been forced to have internet back and forths with those types of schools. Schools like Rutgers certainly weren't on our radar pre-Grob.

I should have used the word "peers". If we hadn't had the worst 5 year span in our history, we wouldn't have been forced to have internet back and forths with those types of schools. Schools like Rutgers certainly weren't on our radar pre-Grob.

That train wreck started under Coach Ps watch in 03 when Rutgers beat us by 17 ... the writing was on the wall then that things weren't the same ole same ole ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom