Interviews with several coaches have taken place | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Interviews with several coaches have taken place

Not really, if Iowa St can hire a guy like Matt Campbell we should be able to hire along those lines. I think that is reasonable. Like I said, to me I would take a few shots but then go find the best FCS head coach with a progressive offensive system probably triple what he makes and start from there. Leave money for a good DC and move forward, if dude wants to be HC/OC even better more money for staff.

Dude, how can we compete with corn money?!

I was afraid Frost would turn us down.
I can understand the interest in Montgomery, who I think would be an exciting hire. Risky but exciting.
Don't think the OC of ND comes to SU.
If we hire a DC I will be extremely disappointed.

I still prefer Babers.

For those trying to keep track and what rumors to believe it not. It appears we may have interviewed;

Frost
Sanford
Montgomery
Ash

Slighter possibility of Fickell.

wow -- so the candidates we've interviewed have a total of one year's head coaching experience between them? Ouch. Speaks to what kind of checks the university is willing to write, IMO.

A P5 job is a P5 job. Anyone who doesn't have one should probably want one.

Virginia isn't exponentially better than Syracuse. Iowa State isn't either. You honestly think they are? I don't.

That wasn't the point you espoused in the post I quoted, but just b/c someone offers you a P5 job doesn't mean you have to jump at it. You act as if no one else will offer Frost a P5 job. You really think that's true? Do you think taking a bad P5 job -- whether it is SU or let's say Iowa State or UVA if you think they're worse -- is the best way to catapult yourself to a big-time P5 job? I don't. These guys need to think about their next job and simply jumping at an opportunity b/c it's offered is almost certainly not the way to play it.

That wasn't the point you espoused in the post I quoted, but just b/c someone offers you a P5 job doesn't mean you have to jump at it. You act as if no one else will offer Frost a P5 job. You really think that's true? Do you think taking a bad P5 job -- whether it is SU or let's say Iowa State or UVA if you think they're worse -- is the best way to catapult yourself to a big-time P5 job? I don't. These guys need to think about their next job and simply jumping at an opportunity b/c it's offered is almost certainly not the way to play it.

This is all well and good, but good ADs are able to sell the opportunity of coaching P5 football. Jaime Pollard @ Iowa State has apparently been able to sell a bottom tier P5 job to an up and coming MAC coach just fine.

No one is saying Syracuse University is a 1st tier P5 job, but its a P5 job with unique circumstances and dare I say a big advantage for an offensive minded coach (The Dome). A good AD should have a line of offensive minded coaches lined up around the corner to be the first NE team to run the Air Raid in a region with literally zero offensive minded teams.

We play in a freakin' Dome. If there is any place where offensive football can be played, it'd be a Dome. If we end up with Ash, this is a major failure by our new AD.

This is all well and good, but good ADs are able to sell the opportunity of coaching P5 football. Jaime Pollard @ Iowa State has apparently been able to sell a bottom tier P5 job to an up and coming MAC coach just fine.

No one is saying Syracuse University is a 1st tier P5 job, but its a P5 job with unique circumstances and dare I say a big advantage for an offensive minded coach (The Dome). A good AD should have a line of offensive minded coaches lined up around the corner to be the first NE team to run the Air Raid in a region with literally zero offensive minded teams.

We play in a freakin' Dome. If there is any place where offensive football can be played, it'd be a Dome. If we end up with Ash, this is a major failure by our new AD.

I just don't agree in any way shape or form with your thinking. Did you read the article in The Register -- the paper that covers Iowa State? They gave him a 6-year deal, paid him $2M in year 1 and likely escalates after that, they have brand new stadium, good facilities and draw 50K a week in fan support. I don't know if that's a better situation than syracuse can offer, but it certainly feels that way.

Plus, I have no idea on Ash. I'd be disappointed too but a major failure? I mean, I don't know, I have to believe he's working within some tough financial constraints. Just a guess.

So Frost is going to UCF... and we're not one of the worst jobs in college football?

So Frost is going to UCF... and we're not one of the worst jobs in college football?
Exactly - SU has turned into one of the worst 5 jobs among the P5 whether the Orange glasses crowd wants to believe it or not. Frost would probably have waited a year for next season's openings before coming to SU for 5 years.

So much for SU finally making a big splash on the national scene and getting attention. Buried on the back pages and viewed as an also ran is not how I thought this would end up yet here we are once again.

bnoro said:

Exactly. That's why we need to pay more than the going rate.

Something is screwy here. Coyle must've gotten cold feet or he thinks that Frost will leave in a year or two. If Frost picked UCF over SU, he has no plans to be there in 3 years and he's just looking for an easy "look at how much they improved" stepping stone to go back to Oregon or Nebraska in a year

Millhouse said:
Something is screwy here. Coyle must've gotten cold feet or he thinks that Frost will leave in a year or two. If Frost picked UCF over SU, he has no plans to be there in 3 years and he's just looking for an easy "look at how much they improved" stepping stone to go back to Oregon or Nebraska in a year

Some Twitter rumor has it coming down to how the contract was structured? Does that make any sense?