Interviews with several coaches have taken place | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Interviews with several coaches have taken place

warner has a first round QB. frost has a FCS transfer.

oregon has the 10th best passer rating. michigan state has the 36th.

if warner can find lightly regarded qbs like cook, great. but i think he just got lucky

Connor Cook will be the third guy Warner has sent to the NFL.

Has to do with momentum and style of play. I'd take 4 years of high powered offense and bowl games over plodding along with a guy with moderate upside and a meathead philosophy.

And the way to avoid Marrone to Shafer is to hire a guy with the same or close offensive style.
A new concern for me--what if Frost is so hot for the Nebraska job that he leaves after 2 years, or even 1?

A new concern for me--what if Frost is so hot for the Nebraska job that he leaves after 2 years, or even 1?

nebraska isnt hiring him after a 6 win season at SU. If he followed that 6 win season with an 8 or 9 win season, yeah maybe.

nebraska isnt hiring him after a 6 win season at SU. If he followed that 6 win season with an 8 or 9 win season, yeah maybe.
look at who nebraska just hired! a guy who was 29-33 the prior 5 seasons

Connor Cook will be the third guy Warner has sent to the NFL.
MSU has had a great run of NFL type lineman. QBs look better when they arent running for their life.

MSU has had a great run of NFL type lineman. QBs look better when they arent running for their life.
i don't know what to make of cousins, cook and hoyer.

they are tall guys with prostyle backgrounds and prepared for the nfl. but none of them were that highly ranked in efficiency in college. msu is a factory that can get away with pro style, it helps prepare their defense and they have guys good enough to be in the NFL. they deserve credit for finding those QBs though.

i just don't think MSU is our blueprint at all

Not that Frost needs defending, but Oregon was replacing the Heisman Trophy winner at QB. There was bound to be some trouble whoever stepped in to take Mariota's spot.

There used to be until Baylor, and TCU took them all. There is this misconception that TCU and Baylor are loaded with nothing but 4 and 5 star players. That is just not the case. Check out Baylors class rankings the last few 5-6 years. They are pretty close to ours. They just have a scheme that flat out works. Isn't Baylor using their 3rd string QB? Still putting up 40+ per game?
That's why this hire is so important. We can have talent like Baylor...hell, according to . . . . . and Revals we already do. With the right scheme, and right coach, we can get similar results.
If only we could get their former long time OC to come here.

Regarding UCF reports, Dino Babers told reporters today, “I have not signed anything. I am not going anywhere, OK. I have no secret deals, no above deals, no verbal deals. … I will not lie to my guys. And they know that when I tell them something, it’s gospel. So everybody else can speculate. But when I talked to senior leadership, and when I talked to those young men last night and I told them why I told them, the story was done.”

The debate may have passed but a thought on the northeast issue... I don't think the point is that we shouldn't be recruiting the northeast. Of course we should.

I think the point is that we don't necessarily need to hire a head coach who has spent his career coaching in the northeast. A good coach who has never spent much time in this region will understand the dynamics of recruiting and be sure to hire staff that has ties to the region. Note: I said a "good" coach. A bad coach might not do that. I assume we are trying to hire a good coach.

The other point is that our recruiting in the northeast has been mediocre at best for quite some time. Perhaps hiring a coach who will implement a distinctive offense will entice those in SU's 8 hour recruting radius to be more interested in coming here? Whatever we've been doing hasn't been working. Maybe it's time to try a new approach?

Not that Frost needs defending, but Oregon was replacing the Heisman Trophy winner at QB. There was bound to be some trouble whoever stepped in to take Mariota's spot.
Not to mention their fans have been massively spoiled over the last 5 years and are going to complain if they aren't undefeated and winning the Nat'l Championship every year.

we are in the p5 and we have a vacancy

there are lots of better jobs out there. they're already taken.

seriously if you look at the scorecard thats pinned to this page, we're paying way more than a G5 school. The elite jobs, USCe, Miami etc arent hiring Frost. So whats our competition...UVA, Maryland, UCF? Memphis now that Fuentes is off to VaTech?

exactly and last time i checked it was still a crap job when he interviewed and was about to accept a day or so ago. I would think HC at SU making 2.5 million is better than OC at Oregon making 400k.

I couldn't disagree more with this. We need a coach that recruits to the systems he likes to run, develops the talent and coaches kids up. That will be the biggest question mark with Frost, can he coach em up? babers has proven he can, his Bowling Green teams have played bigger programs and hung in there. Nobody is perfect but that will be the biggest question mark. I think old time Syracuse fans like Ed O because he is known as a recruiter, they also want Northeast ties because we use to do well in recruiting there 25 years ago, not really as important anymore because football stinks in the Northeast and we are also in the ACC and also the northeast is over recruited. It's like fishing in waters 12 months a year when there is only a 4 month season.

We need to move forward, think forwardly and plan for the future instead of looking back all the time.

Coaching pedigree is one thing but at the end of the day can you coach 3 star talent to a top 25-30 program because that is what the Syracuse coach will need to do to keep people happy and to move to a bigger program

Leave the meatheads with hairy knuckles and ears to position coaches we need to think far more progressively than that for a HC. I am happy with Frost or Babers, I think Frost is a big gamble in many ways but I like that.

Good luck if you think that we will have a winning ACC team without a talent upgrade. other coaches also coach up their players but they are four star players to start with. You cannot teach size and speed. Football is not soccer; it is more brute than finesse. First and foremost, we need to upgrade our recruiting.

It's crazy how many people on this board don't realize where Syracuse stands in the college football food chain. We're one of the worst jobs in the Power 5.

Not really, if Iowa St can hire a guy like Matt Campbell we should be able to hire along those lines. I think that is reasonable. Like I said, to me I would take a few shots but then go find the best FCS head coach with a progressive offensive system probably triple what he makes and start from there. Leave money for a good DC and move forward, if dude wants to be HC/OC even better more money for staff.

Good luck if you think that we will have a winning ACC team without a talent upgrade. other coaches also coach up their players but they are four star players to start with. You cannot teach size and speed. Football is not soccer; it is more brute than finesse. First and foremost, we need to upgrade our recruiting.

we had a winning ACC season 2 years ago with less talent? no? sure we need more talent but we need a coach that has a good offensive system that can get us in a few games versus teams with better talent

Not really, if Iowa St can hire a guy like Matt Campbell we should be able to hire along those lines. I think that is reasonable. Like I said, to me I would take a few shots but then go find the best FCS head coach with a progressive offensive system probably triple what he makes and start from there. Leave money for a good DC and move forward, if dude wants to be HC/OC even better more money for staff.

If Frost doesn't want it I am sure Montogomery does...

If Frost doesn't want it I am sure Montogomery does...

I'm certainly not set against Frost like I was with Edsall and Holtz, but it would be great if the choice "fell" to Montgomery like it did with Marrone.

Year over year improvement in year one.

Six wins and bowl eligibility vs two wins.

13th on total offense 502 yds vs 59th and 412.

27th in scoring vs 94th

12th in passing vs 37th

64th rushing vs 90th

Just a warning - defense needs work, not much change there, still real bad.

Last edited:
Beau Baldwin is on his white horse heading east, if the horse brakes down he will hitch hike the rest of the way. charter crap, he said save it for the recruiting budget

I am not on the Baldwin train. There are many others I would call before him.

I'm certainly set against Frost like I was with Edsall and Holtz, but it would be great if the choice "fell" to Montgomery like it did with Marrone.

Year over year improvement in year one.

Six wins and bowl eligibility vs two wins.

13th on total offense 502 yds vs 59th and 412.

27th in scoring vs 94th

12th in passing vs 37th

64th rushing vs 90th

Just a warning - defense needs work, not much change there, still real bad.

But it is clear his offensive system has instant impact.