IPF Update | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

IPF Update

1 portacan is a false hope- 5 or more and actual work has started -
sarcasm meter broken.gif

I have heard there might be a delay due to the city and some environmental impact concerns
That was an issue brought up last summer. Some sort of test they needed to do. is that still the case?

GFTakedown said:
No matter what type of facility they are building they need to pour concrete(slab or foundation). Unless they are going to encompass the construction area in a heated dome to insure the temperature of the cement to not freeze with water molecules which cause stress fractures then they should wait until April or May.

There is concrete being placed at countless job sites in the state, some much colder than Syracuse. There are additives, heat blankets, etc. They will probably place the footers now and wait for warmer temps for the slab though.

concrete produces a lot of heat - they have ways to do it now with chemical additives covers ,not saying they can when its -8 but if its above 30 they can do it

they also do a foundation around the outside and pour the inside after its closed up a bit
it depends on how thick the pour will be,and the last thing you want is for any of the concrete to freeze. They would still need to use portable propane heaters to help it cure.

Syracuse would be very wise to make them wait until the extreme cold weather to pass before pouring a concrete base.

mountaincuse said:
There is concrete being placed at countless job sites in the state, some much colder than Syracuse. There are additives, heat blankets, etc. They will probably place the footers now and wait for warmer temps for the slab though.

We poured concrete in October, 20 degrees

They will pour footers for the outside wall first then pour the inside after the walls are installed. If the walls are all being prefabbed they can install the panels in a few days then add the roof. The finish work is where all the time is.

rosconey said:
concrete produces a lot of heat - they have ways to do it now with chemical additives covers ,not saying they can when its -8 but if its above 30 they can do it

they also do a foundation around the outside and pour the inside after its closed up a bit

Yeah they can bring in heat blankets and pour on cool not super cold days rosconey is right on. Since it is a big interior span they may build perimeter foundations and the building shell before working on the interior slab very common in similar warehouse type construction. Definately can do excavation now, some excacavators perefer it being cold to below freezing as long as the ground isnt frozen solid, makes it less muddy and easier to keep the pit from filling in on itself. Take a ride past Township 5 in camillus if you don't believe me they are going hog wild over there right now.

Give them a chance guys if there's one thing ive learned working in this industry its that delays are waiting around every corner (permitting, politics, contract, DEC, site, labor dispute, weather, design change, leadership change ie new chancellor etc.) regardless of intent or commitment to the project its just the nature of construction.

Delays are understandable, but according to the SU folks everything is on schedule. I find that a little troubling since it's clear that nothing else has happened on the site, other than the removal of the field turf.

Any updates yet? Anyone that can get out there and see if the footers have been poured?

There's 1.5 feet of snow on the ground and it's 15 degrees. There's no footers my friend
Damn! I live in NoVa, so was hoping maybe, just maybe, Syracuse was spared.

Found this buried in a comment section on one of the articles OE posted.

Ron says:
February 19, 2014 at 12:53 am
Terry;

I told everyone earlier when things were happening with the new IPF that I would let you all know what was happening,when it was happening.

Well Terry, the new steel beams/girders are starting to arrive and is being stacked up over at the Skytop parking lot. I expect to see more getting delivered over the next few days. I was told and expected this to happen back in November,but what the hell it’s better late than never. Also there was more heavy equipment delivered to the same site.

If Malone was correct in telling us that the city needs to be involved building a better drainage system on site then I expect construction to start as soon as the weather breaks. Things are looking promising fella’s.

I apologize to everyone for talking Syracuse football during the basketball season,but you know how it goes.

Malone says:
February 19, 2014 at 7:27 am
Ron, great update. I expect the ground work and infrastructure to last all of March at least, but major steel work taking April. I think they will work linear and apply the cladding once the steel is far enough ahead. By mid May, it will look like a building, leaving June and July to address the interior stuff and exterior details. Facility will be up and running by mid August. I believe that is exactly what I said in December. The drainage issues I heard about put it back probably 2 weeks if I had to guess. Lets not forget that in high offices, the city and the University are not partners or really friends.

Ron says:
February 19, 2014 at 8:49 am
@Malone;

I know about the unlikely friendship between the city and university. It really heated up during Mayor Lee Alexanders tenure.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie(money) that Syracuse generates ever year and Syracuse ends up having to fight to keep what’s rightfully theirs. That’s why I just can’t see Syracuse going off campus to play their football/basketball and lacrosse games in a stadium downtown and losing contol over the games it has now. I just don’t see it happening. I just can’t see them sharing the money with the county or the city.

Malone says:
February 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm
Ron, I don’t think the problem is new or all that out of the ordinary (the old turf used to get pretty water logged in my day). It is not so much a problem except that the solution needs lots of moving parts to come together (this is where the city comes in) and warmer temperatures. earth work, foundation work, concrete work require warmer temps and a more controlled environment (water and temp.) This is where some of the earlier delays I have mentioned here have projected out and caused a bigger problem. If they were resolved sooner, it is likley the site work would have been done in the fall. Now we are waiting for winter to end.

Last edited:
memcorsu said:
Found this buried in a comment section on one of the articles OE posted. Ron says: February 19, 2014 at 12:53 am Terry; I told everyone earlier when things were happening with the new IPF that I would let you all know what was happening,when it was happening. Well Terry, the new steel beams/girders are starting to arrive and is being stacked up over at the Skytop parking lot. I expect to see more getting delivered over the next few days. I was told and expected this to happen back in November,but what the hell it’s better late than never. Also there was more heavy equipment delivered to the same site. If Malone was correct in telling us that the city needs to be involved building a better drainage system on site then I expect construction to start as soon as the weather breaks. Things are looking promising fella’s. I apologize to everyone for talking Syracuse football during the basketball season,but you know how it goes. Malone says: February 19, 2014 at 7:27 am Ron, great update. I expect the ground work and infrastructure to last all of March at least, but major steel work taking April. I think they will work linear and apply the cladding once the steel is far enough ahead. By mid May, it will look like a building, leaving June and July to address the interior stuff and exterior details. Facility will be up and running by mid August. I believe that is exactly what I said in December. The drainage issues I heard about put it back probably 2 weeks if I had to guess. Lets not forget that in high offices, the city and the University are not partners or really friends. Ron says: February 19, 2014 at 8:49 am @Malone; I know about the unlikely friendship between the city and university. It really heated up during Mayor Lee Alexanders tenure. Everyone wants a piece of the pie(money) that Syracuse generates ever year and Syracuse ends up having to fight to keep what’s rightfully theirs. That’s why I just can’t see Syracuse going off campus to play their football/basketball and lacrosse games in a stadium downtown and losing contol over the games it has now. I just don’t see it happening. I just can’t see them sharing the money with the county or the city. Malone says: February 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm Ron, I don’t think the problem is new or all that out of the ordinary (the old turf used to get pretty water logged in my day). It is not so much a problem except that the solution needs lots of moving parts to come together (this is where the city comes in) and warmer temperatures. earth work, foundation work, concrete work require warmer temps and a more controlled environment (water and temp.) This is where some of the earlier delays I have mentioned here have projected out and caused a bigger problem. If they were resolved sooner, it is likley the site work would have been done in the fall. Now we are waiting for winter to end.

Don't worry, Mayor Miner doesn't want money. She specializes in slowing things down due to sewage and water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom